Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

heat and light and sad times

5 posters

Go down

heat and light and sad times Empty heat and light and sad times

Post by chris_street Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:14 am

first an update from my last topic.... Dexter passed away through the night in animal hospital 2 nights ago Crying or Very sad
Looks like the guys on here were right and he was ill, but I have been back to the store I bought him and they have gave me a 2-3 year old for free due to the problems I have had so going to pick him up on saturday. He looks realy healthy and has a big fat juicey tail haha.
I have ordered a brand new 3ft viv, cobra heat mat (as they seem to be the dogs bollox) a habistat double channel thermostat and loads of hides and stuff to the new guy to hide in. (was meant to be for Dexters home coming).

So when the viv arrives I want to fit a blue night bulb (already bought) and ceramic heater lamp (have the bulb and fitting but no bracket to attach) for the day time. all hooked up to the thermostats as my house is freezing. I have had a look at fittings and domes but the viv I have bought is only 1ft high so I was thinking if a dome was put in the lights would be far too close to the bottom but I dont want to drill a big hold in the top of the viv either so was wondering if anyone else has done this and what have you done???

Could I use the brackets that are advertised with no dome? and does anyone know if I can but the brackets without the ceramic fitting as I already have one.

P.S this is only a temporary measure and will be gone in the summer.

Help would be great on this one and pics would also help if someone has done this.
chris_street
chris_street

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 186

Back to top Go down

heat and light and sad times Empty Re: heat and light and sad times

Post by Kermit Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:55 am

So sorry lil dexter didn't pull thru. That's a shame. At least the shop where you got him is gonna try to make it right by replacing him and hopefully reimbursing you some of the vet expense. Sorry I can't advise you on how to rig your new viv, maybe ifyou had a picture I could get a better idea of what your working with. As far as the ceramic heat emitter it would be pretty intense only being a foot tall viv regardless of what wattage you got. If you're just looking to add light for viewing there are under cabinet light bars you can get, just read the specifcations completely and make sureits a total wattage of 25 watts or less.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_street Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Cool thats great! The viv should be here tomorrow so I will have a look and maybe get one of those viewing lights. Cheers Kermit!!
chris_street
chris_street

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_street Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:12 pm

P.S I will post pics of the new setup once it's all done so stay tuned
chris_street
chris_street

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:33 pm

That will be great Smile
Have fun setting your new tank up!
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dangle Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:23 pm

What bulb is being used in the light bar?
Dangle
Dangle

Status Status : Working on my race car
LGF Points LGF Points : 138

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:19 pm

My condolences to you. what did he die of?

peach75
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_street Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Don't have a light bar, just a regular night light bulb at the moment, going to give that a wirl and see how it goes, if not then change it to a light bar.

Seems young dexter was a lot younger then first advised by the store, only about 3 months old, and was ill when I got him from the store. The guy from the store was full of apologies and says that some times about 1 in 50 will for no apparent reason go off there food when re-homed and there is no way to explain it. Which is ok as he is giving me an adult for no extra charge but upon further investigation it seems young dexter had a parasite (probably from when I got him) and never ate or has a proper poo. So main diagnosis is parasite and he was also malnourished due to not eating as he was ill, bad times, doesn't even get to see the new high tech home
chris_street
chris_street

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_street Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:47 pm

But we all learn I have learned not to feel sorry for the skinny leo and never buy a gecko if advised "he's only skinny as we havnt had him in store long"...
chris_street
chris_street

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down