Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Housing geckos in rack system?

+3
gothicgurrrl
Jordan
kathstew
7 posters

Go down

Housing geckos in rack system? Empty Housing geckos in rack system?

Post by kathstew Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 am

In the rack, display section, I see a lot of people keeping their geckos in those plastic containers on their racks.
How big are the containers you keep them in, and are they full-grown adults? Those containers look less than 10 gallons to me, and I thought 10 gals was the minimum for a leo?

I'm just curious, as I may want to set-up one of these racks one day, and I'd like to know more about them...
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Housing geckos in rack system? Empty Re: Housing geckos in rack system?

Post by Jordan Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:14 am

racking is mainly used for breeders/large scale keepers really, its normally only advised for experienced long term keepers.

I use a rack system and i know Sam does too, fire away Smile
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:24 am

You can get LOADS of different sizes plastic containers for them.. because some people house massive snakes in them and all sorts Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:33 am

like jordan said the racks are mainly used by breeders/collectors and im only still using mine as cant afford to get everyone viv's right now but it was great when i was breeding.

the smallest tub i use is 4litres(A4paper size) but that only houses 1gecko adult with a single hide, moss box, food bowl & water bowl and i use 10litres(2xA4paper width) houses a single male super giant or both the super giant and giant female(but the girls get 2hides instead of 1as they share) and the top half of my silver racking system houses mainly snakes now.

any other questions you have please feel free to ask Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobbsy Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:49 am

I also use a racking system its great for keeping gecko babies seperate when breeding quite a few and also for letting oither geckos have a timeout aftwer breeding etc. It provides everything they need to feel safe, secure and warm. A really great system if you want too breed.

Hobbsy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

http://www.hobbsyscritters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks guys for the answers!
No way am I going to breeding any time soon! If I did it would be years after researching genetics, and the gecko breeding process!
I'd be using the rack system more for keeping multiple geckos, and maybe other types of reptiles (blue tongue skink). And it would be a long time from now.
Do you guys use home made racks, or do you buy them - and if you buy them are they just closet racks or are do they have a specific name?
How long would you keep the leos in the 4 litre containers?
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 pm

I use my rack system for breeding but for myself with also taking in rescues they usually spend their quarantine time in a bin because it is easy to clean and I just use paper towel as a substrate. I do not keep my "pet" leos in there and not many of my adult breeders unless I am doing some moving of homes. For me, with my care, they are never kept in the bins permanently:)

A blue tongue skink should absolutely not be kept in a bin. They require room to move around and they do get quite large. I have two of them and would not put them in a bin. Now, maybe if they were very little babies you could for a little while but it doesn't take long for them to grow;)

Last edited by smsararas2 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:28 pm

I don't know if a rack system would be good for a blue tongue skink. Those get pretty big Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobbsy Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:32 pm

My rack system is homemade, but that was more because I wanted looking like part of the furniture, but it could be as simple or as fancy as you wanted it to be. Some people just use a book case and add the heatmats and thermostats and tubs. You can buy commercially made ones but they are nooottt cheap. If I get chancew I will take a photo of mine and post it.

Hobbsy

Hobbsy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

http://www.hobbsyscritters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:37 am

if you look in the racks and diy section there are some good threads about racks, and also pictures of my set up.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks guys, again!

Oh, I wouldn't be putting the blue tongue skink in a container :P I was thinking more like having one or more shelves for actual vivs, and then some other shelves for the containers. I'd try and find the biggest containers I could find though, or maybe adapting the rack into full on vivs on all shelves, but still have shelves? LOL I'm not sure, still brainstorming...
------------------

My aunt has a blue tongue skink, that she got from one of her sisters when they didn't want it. Since she got it, I've taken an interest in it, and she keeps asking me if I want it. My mom would always say no we couldn't take it, but now that she actually likes my leo, I was thinking of bringing it up again. She may just say yes to letting me take it now. My aunt doesn't really want the skink anymore, poor guy! They have six year old twins that are too rough with him, so they always have to leave him in his cage ;( I go over once and a while and play with him, he's such a sweety, just wants to be held! I don't have a lot of space in my room with over five fish tanks, and I am now crowding into our basements with my pets. LOL, I was thinking a rack system may help to get everything into my room. But no way would I do it if it takes away from the quality of life of my pets!
LOL, I miss little Skinky (thats what you get when two six year olds name it lol)! He's so cute, and cuddly. Just sits on my lap and lets me pet him, climbs into my hands, d'awwww. I think I should go visit him again soon! LOL!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:15 am

That sounds like a really nie skink kathryn... Id love to have him too if I were you. I debated a long time btween BTS and leo when we were looking at new herps to add when I lost my russian tortoise. we decided on leo because the budget just wasn't there for a fresh greens eater. Produce here is so expensive.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:15 am

I adore that skinky :P Poor guy is probably lonely. I'd love to take him in. I'm gonna start trying to convince my mom.

I've been thinking about the rack idea a bit more. Since I also have a lot of fish tanks, maybe I could try a lizard/fish rack :P My dad has been planning to convert my closet into shelves strong enough to hold all my fish tanks, maybe I could get him to add extra shelves for some lizards :P

Produce here is a bit expensive, but not too bad. It would be helpful if when some of our veggies are close to going bad and we could just pop 'em in for skinky. :P When I did research on skinks a while back, I think I read you only feed them once or twice a week (I could be wrong though) so it wouldn't be too bad feeding him.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:52 am

Yes, I see, my apologies, I thought you meant you were going to keep a skink in the tubs...lol. I see you know about them already. I have two of them and they are just wonderful I love you
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down