Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on housing female geckos together?

+2
Jordan
kathstew
6 posters

Go down

Opinions on housing female geckos together? Empty Opinions on housing female geckos together?

Post by kathstew Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:16 am

I have one female gecko at the moment, and I was thinking about getting a second female gecko to be her friend. I know you can keep females together.
My question though, is do they really like having a companion? Or is it just something that they'll put up with? Do you know what I mean? Are there any pros/cons to keeping females together I should know about? What is the general opinion on keeping females together?
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Opinions on housing female geckos together? Empty Re: Opinions on housing female geckos together?

Post by Jordan Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:45 am

Females CAN be kept together but SHOULDN'T be kept together.

Two females getting along is basically two females putting up with each other.

There will always be a need for dominance. One gecko will assume alpha male role, taking the best heat spots, best hides, taking frist dibs on food and water etc... So ultimately for the less dominant one it can be very stressful.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Opinions on housing female geckos together? Empty Re: Opinions on housing female geckos together?

Post by smsararas2 Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 am

Agreed on what Jordan said. It is not a good idea.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by xXGeckoGalXx Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:15 am

While I agree with them slightly, its up to you and your gecko and the gecko you have i mind.

I've had females that loved each others company, slept together, even on the cool side of the tank(some people insist they were fighting for heat or what have you). But in my opinion, my females generally loved being with another leo, and when removed would seem somewhat depressed and when the leo would be put back in, purk up and act normal.

For example, pictures!

Here is nia when she was real young.
Opinions on housing female geckos together? Njv1107
Opinions on housing female geckos together? Jessicaandneo
Opinions on housing female geckos together? Neojesvenus10507
Opinions on housing female geckos together? Neovenus1107
Opinions on housing female geckos together? Nandv
Opinions on housing female geckos together? Sutff002
Very Happy
And here is zeke with nia and venus.
Opinions on housing female geckos together? 82407001
Opinions on housing female geckos together? 81107012
Opinions on housing female geckos together? 81107025
Opinions on housing female geckos together? 81107032
Opinions on housing female geckos together? 81907021

All my leos were healthy and fat. So its up to you my friend but mainly your leo and your idea leo. Opinions on housing female geckos together? 191501
xXGeckoGalXx
xXGeckoGalXx
Loyal Member

Status Status : Looking around the forum, feeling bad that I haven't posted in awhile.
LGF Points LGF Points : 274

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 am

I would like to say first off that I do also house some of my females together. I am speaking from experience when I say this. Leopard Geckos do not "like" each other, they do not "dislike" each other. They find the best hide and must tolerate the fact there are other leos there. They find the food dish and must tolerate that they have to share it. I have four that I house together, BUT, they are all fed seperately and they are in a 60g long. I really like thinking also that they like each other and I do think that way, but I do keep in mind that at any day, any time, they can lose patience and no longer tolerate each other. It is a risk, no matter how the leos react to each other. They all act on instinct and their instinct is survival.

Geckogal is absolutely correct that it is a personal preference and one that I will never judge anyone for, everyone has the right to do what they wish, I just would like to make sure that people are well informed before doing so. I have 14 rescues in my care right now. 2 of them were clutch mates, grew up together, lived together, and were great for their whole life....they came into my care because one day Bella decided that Belle should not be in the same hide and took a chunk out of her. the owner could not afford seperate housing or the vet bill so they came to my care, which of course I incurred the costs, which is my choice.

So, thank you Geckogal for pointing out that it is a personal choice, please just be aware of the possible consequences.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:42 am

Its absolutely right that it is a personal preference.
You have to personally choose to take the risk. And the risk is large.

When you get leo's living together in harmony, it is luck. And even that can change at any point.

what i see in them pictures is not leo's loving each other, and not leo's enjoying each others comfort. It is leo's tolerating and sharing the best spots, and leo's fighting for dominance. Not fighting perse' but expressing dominance.
If someone lie's in the moist hide, the other leo's lie in the moist hide... trying to show its their territory and that they are the boss.

It can be potentially a lot more dangerous when housing leo's of different size's together. If the bigger one flips, the little one could be in pieces.

Oh and its our human emotions that make us THINK that the leo's are depressed when ttheir cagemates are taken away, they have no feelings towards each other. Their brains aren't capable of these types of emotions. If they had emotions then they would be pleased to have all the space for themselves Smile
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks guys for all your opinions and ideas about this!

Geckogal, those pictures are adorable! I love the 3rd last one.

My friend has 2 female leos together, they're clutch sisters, and they seem to "tolerate" each other. They don't really seem to like each other or hate each other. I can easily tell which is the alpha though.

I think I'm gonna leave Miracle living in solitary. It sounds safer, especially considering she's been living alone most of her life and I don't know how old she is. Maybe in the future I will tackle housing multiple geckos together, but I'm definitely going to wait until I have much more gecko experience!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:37 am

That sounds like a very logical reasonable decision Kathryn. It is often difficult for people to recognise their own limitations... kudos for you for knowing you need a bit more experience. Your friend may be in for a surprise some day once that tolerance wears thin... maybe you could let them know about our site so that they can get some first hand information from experienced keepers.

PS LOVE the name Miracle Opinions on housing female geckos together? 131791
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweety Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Kathryn, I am happy that you made the decision to keep Miracle by herself. There are a couple of points that I do have to point out just to make sure that you know for if you decide put someone in with Miracle.

Since Miracle has just come into your care, she has been under a lot of stress with the loss of her tail and the moving into a new environment with you. Yes, she is getting better care with you, but her surroundings are different and the sounds around her are different, that causes stress for them as well. She need a little more time to get used to everything.

While her tail is still healing, she needs to be kept alone. The stress of adding another sweety at this point can slow down the healing process.

The size of the new sweety MUST be the same as Miracle is. There are bullying issues that have been already stated above and they are even greater when sweetys of different sizes are housed together.

When acquiring a new addition, there must be AT LEAST a 30 day quarantine, meaning that new addition MUST be kept on their own. This allows you to see if they are sick or have any issues that need dealing with before potentially being put together with Miracle. It also lets you see their personalities and whether or not they are a good fit to be put together.

Sweety

LGF Points LGF Points : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks Sweety for the advice! I appreciate it!

I knew I would have to wait until her tail grew back. I wouldn't subject her to that kind of stress without her tail fully grown back. Wink

Quarantining, sigh. LOL. I hate doing it, but I know its necessary. I've had to do it with so many fish. But because its the best for my sweety Wink I'd do it with no complaints!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down