Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

picking out the right items - housing opinions!

+3
smsararas2
rickmoss95
Leesah
7 posters

Go down

picking out the right items - housing opinions! Empty picking out the right items - housing opinions!

Post by Leesah Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:03 am

Being an owner of two geckos - now one - for 8 years... I did not realize how misinformed I was on the things that leopard geckos need!

I have read over the housing thread and I won't post a bunch of noob questions that were already answered... just looking for some personal opinions.

In the main housing thread it was mentioned if you want to use vinyl tiles - which is what I am leaning towards the most - to get "high end" ones. What would be the most recommended place for this? Any of you have a particular brand that you prefer? I definitely don't want to get ones that may cause toxic fumes from the glue. And the glue for sure will be fine in the tank?
Also, are the tiles comfortable or should I keep half of the tank with carpet on it?

Also.. these probing temperature monitors. Ashamed to say it but I've always just used the stick on temp readers. It seems like almost everyone here has agreed that these are not accurate. What is the favorite brand/model amongst the gecko lovers here?

I feel like my geckos have been missing out! I have a very simple tank layout.. 1 hiding spot on the heat, 1 hiding spot on the cool and water/food dish on carpet. No plants.. nothing else otherwise to "entertain" my gecko. And on that subject, do you feel that geckos need/like plants and other accessories?

Last one... I am considering getting one of those nets that sticks to the glass up in the air.... general opinions/consensus on this? Do your geckos like it?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
I love this board, I have never read so much about geckos before!
Leesah
Leesah

LGF Points LGF Points : 135

Back to top Go down

picking out the right items - housing opinions! Empty Re: picking out the right items - housing opinions!

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:19 am

just my opinions here: i would go with a thicker kitchen/bathroom type tile with NO glue on it. some may tell you that they dont heat as well as the vinyl type tiles, but i assure you they will...they may take a little longer, but they will heat up. i also think that the silk plants will deffinately help the look of your enclosure. i have set up crested gecko vivs with only fake plants, and with the right ones, they look great. as for the lizard hammock you are talking about, i would suggest that if you do use one...keep it close to the ground. i think that the cork bark hides and low branch type decor would also look nice and encourage some exploring. your viv is only limited by your immagination! i will get on my desktop and add a pic of one of my crestie set ups and maybe it will give you an idea. i am also going to be setting up some naturalistic leo vivs, but the bedding is still up in the air for me, i will probably go with the thicker bathroom tiles. good luck
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

picking out the right items - housing opinions! Empty Re: picking out the right items - housing opinions!

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:24 am

here is a 125 gal divided crested gecko enclosure. the only thing i would not do with leos is have a loose substrate that could cause impatrion.[img]picking out the right items - housing opinions! 125_cr11[/img]
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:47 pm

I was going to make the net low where the drop from where they climb wouldn't be far at all. I thought maybe to add some plants because I used to have plants in her tank before and she seemed to like it.

ie:
picking out the right items - housing opinions! 260407jasmin5

old photo.. don't mind the sand!
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:51 pm

See, I prefer the vinyl tiles myself...just a preference. I use dollar store vinyl tiles and once a month when I do a full clean I throw them out and grab new ones(since they are 4 for 1.00). For their hide where they will most likely sleep I cut a hole in the tile and put paper towel there for comfort(I don't know they need it, but it makes me feel better). The problem I had with reptile carpet is if they go after a worm or something they can get their tiny little teeth stuck in it and then freak right out. I had one stop eating because of it.
I keep most of my tanks simple but yes I do give them each a fake plant and a couple rocks and fake trees to run around and such. As for the hanging net things, I have never used them but I have heard somewhere that they can use them. I don't know how much they would but if you try it let me know how it goes:).
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:11 pm

is there glue on the dollar store ones?
I would love to be able to get a cool marble coloring for my tank.... laughing Makes me more excited than I should be tongue

any opinions on the best thermometer?

anyone that has pics of their tank.. I'd love to see it!

I hear you on the impaction all too well Rick. Since losing my other gecko Rainee I am 300% paranoid watching Jasmine now. I want to be sure I am not contributing to any problems that can arise in geckos.

I won't be able to free up some funds for another 2 weeks so I am looking around and browsing now ahead of time.
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 pm

as far as thermometers, in my opinion...infra red temp guns are the absolute best way to go! there is nothing more accurate, and you can use one for every enclosure you have. plus you can even check your kids temps if they feel warm!!! you can get them from $25 bucks all the way to several hundred! i use a $50 dollar pro exotics pe2 and i LOVE it! i have used the higher end ones as well, but the pe2 is awesome! check out tempgun.com
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:21 pm

i have a thread in husbandry that will better explain what these are and how they work.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:41 am

We will also have a review section pretty soon too which members will be able to check to find out some great products!
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 pm

ah cool cool =)
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 pm

I thought I'd try to answer some of your original questions.. Smile although I'm abit late lol

I use slate tiles for my leopard gecko's tank Smile they were free from the tile shop because they couldn't sell them as they had been on display and had glue on the back. I removed the glue and they were as good as new Very Happy And you can cover the whole floor space with tiles. They warm up nicely and can be kept clean easily Smile I fill the gaps in with sand and then spray it with water to compact it Very Happy

I don't know anything about brands to be honest.. just slate tiles or ceramic tiles with no sticky glue on the other side is best in my opinion. Smile

As for thermometer probes.. I use an exoterra one, which has one probe on sooo I just monitor the heat side temperatures. I also have a thermometer that has two probes on the end soo you can measure both sides of the tank using the side thing. Just look up 'digital thermometers for reptiles' on google or ebay Very Happy

Leopard gecko do not NEED the fancy tank decorations, but it is great to have some as it will resemble their natural habitat a bit more and give them more ideas to hide and such. I use 1 hide on the cool side, 1 hide on the hot side with a piece of cork bark over it, a fake hanging plant, a fake cactus, and log hide. oh and a place of drift wood Very Happy

My old viv Smile
picking out the right items - housing opinions! Dsc01719

My new tank, and i'm saving the viv for another gecko Very Happy
picking out the right items - housing opinions! Dsc02447

I dont think a net would be a great thing for most leopard geckos.. but some might like it. They are not climbing geckos as where they naturally live in the wild is all rocky and flat. They like climbing on rocks and over hides and things.. but things up high in my opinion they don't like.. but I know some people who have used them and their leopard geckos like them.. so it's all up to you Smile

Awww Smile and thankyou for loving our board Very Happy We love having you as a member here Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:47 am

Hi everyone.
I can't suggest anything.
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Status Status : Hello!
LGF Points LGF Points : 374

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 am

You will figure things out Jess Very Happy . I learned everything from just what you are doing. Reading other peoples threads and if I was confused, ask more questions. I started out with my first leo on sand and with a lighting system. It took me about half a day on the forum to get rid of all that. It's all learning, give it time.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 am

Yep, I was exactly the same jess. I was told that leopard geckos needed sand and a UV light.. and I spent one day on a forum and they got me sorted Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:13 am

Ok I have a bunch to comment on on this thread, but haven't been able to because I knew it w than I wanted to try and do on my phone so I'm gonna try and get it all in thumbs up 2 I'm just gonna throw it out there so please don't take it the wrong way...

First to address using tiles with glue on them... most industrial glue used on flooring tiles esp. the HIGH end tiles, that will crack insted of bend when you bend the corner over, will not melt until heated to over 120*F so the worry of off gassing is VERY minimal from either the glue or the composit the vinyl tile is made of. Heating a tile to under 95*F is really no different than the exposure you would get off the tiles if it were in a small bathroom. Next on tiles... ceramic and porcelain tiles are more of an insulator rather than a consuctor of heat (think coffee mug here). Natural stone such as TRUE slate and marble, soapstone, or even some granite... even shale are going to conduct heat better for your herp than ceramic or porcelain tiles (altho most porcelaine and ceramic are more durable products). You would actually do BETTER using marble (for that cool marble floor you wanted Wink ) than most other tile options aside of vinyl.

This is Eros' viv:
picking out the right items - housing opinions! 366557444101-mcVS9

top view
picking out the right items - housing opinions! Tank_top_view_1-2011-uZzFL
As you can see vinyl tiles, natural bark and lots of stone to simulate their home habitat (there's a link to their natural habitat temps and terraine in my housing sticky in the leo section for those curious).

As far as plant decor, it would be more appealing to you than to your leo as most mid range desert plants are scrub brush and succulents like alo vera. I do have a wonderful link to an e-how article on how to make the perfect desert garden if ya want it.

Infra red temp guns sound like a great thing to have in your herp repitoire, I would love to have one, but alas all I have is a temp probe. It works really well at reading his temps on his hot side, I don't worry much about the cool side since it's suppose to be the same as room temps. The key with probes is to make sure you place it properly directly over the hottest spot of the floor surface. Then tape it down with electric tape but don't cover the tip of the probe.

Like this:
picking out the right items - housing opinions! 361629763589-DHIZa

I don't know how a net would work, I've seen some pix of leos that LOVE their nets, I've heard others won't touch them. It's hit and miss. Mushroom ledges however would be a good addition for a low basking type ledge for added upward exploration room.
picking out the right items - housing opinions! PT-1401-1
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=986&bih=612&q=mushroom+ledge&gbv=2&oq=mushroom+ledge&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=480l2664l0l14l12l0l4l4l0l316l1765l0.3.4.1

So I guess that addresses everything. I hope someof it was helpful Very Happy
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:40 am

That's a good idea sticking the thermometer sensor on the side of the tank. I'll be using that idea.
What's a net?
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:00 am

A herp hammock
picking out the right items - housing opinions! 604372_Detail
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:04 am

i would wonder if there could be a possibility of the leo getting its toes stuck in the netting also, i have heard of this in water dragons once, and leo toes are alot more fragile, so there may be a possibility of losing toe nails...then infection....just a point to think about. and that is a cool looking setup kel!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:06 am

I have one of these in a big display viv, and i hear what ya saying there Rick, but its never seemed to be a problem, i think i have been lucky in the sense that my leo's seem to love it and i often find someone sleeping on the hammock.

I'm not saying the risk isn't there for their little toe's but i'm just an owner of one and never had problems. thumbs up
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:10 am

cool, just something that crossed my mind, though ide mention it! i think those are really cool and it would be sweet to see a little leo all stretched out with his legs all sprawled out! i hve caught a few of mine sleeping with their legs pointed to the back...too cute!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:17 am

Gecko climbing a ladder (same sort of thing):
Sorry for the bad picture.
picking out the right items - housing opinions! P1407111

and another (same leo)
picking out the right items - housing opinions! P2707111

Hammock:
picking out the right items - housing opinions! P2307112

picking out the right items - housing opinions! P0407110

picking out the right items - housing opinions! P0507110

and i have some other better/cuter picture's but it involves a leo which would reveal part of a secret project of mine so not yet lol.

Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:38 am

Cool!

Rich you can edit your posts by pressing edit at the top right hand corner of your post next to quote. Smile
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:56 am

These last pictures is what I was thinking of doing.

Aside from just the net being cool aesthetically... I don't like clutter too much. Jasmine will not eat in a separate feeding tank... she gets skittish and ignores the crickets trying to find a place to hide.

I have to feed her crickets in the tank so I worry about too much clutter making it hard for her to eat if there is so many places for the crickets to hide. So for me if she would like the net it would offer another place to hide/explore for her without taking up her ground/hunting space.

Thanks for all the other opinions also. To be safe I think I will try to find tiles without glue on them if possible.
The local pet stores seem to be lacking in prob thermometers so I will have to get one online.

Oh another question to the mix... preferred heating mats? I think the one I have now will suffice but when I get the new probe and I see the real temperature in there I wonder if I will need to upgrade it.

Keep all the feedback coming and thanks again!
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:58 am

Smile Cool Smile
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down