Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

noob question

+3
Jordan
Kodieh
Noble
7 posters

Go down

noob question Empty noob question

Post by Noble Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:48 pm

?can i keep two leo's in a 20 gallon long tank?

i have a adult female could i put a young leo with her?

thank you!
Noble
Noble

LGF Points LGF Points : 82

Back to top Go down

noob question Empty Re: noob question

Post by Kodieh Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Some follow a different rule of thumb, but I would say yes that's fine. Because as long as your adult female is truely a female then no matter what gender your youngin is it should all jive.

I successfully keep sub adult male and female leos together in a 20 long.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks!
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:12 pm

No... you definitely shouldn't.

Gecko's of two different size's should never be housed toether.

There are many problems that can come from it, the main one's being bullying and hogging the food. And also if i fight breaks out, the little one will likely die.

Gecko's don't live well together anyway, even two females same size, but different sizes are a big no no. Your little one will get skinnier and skinnier or be mauled in a fight.

And just to add, if your young one is a male then that adds a whole lot of more problems on top of it, including premature breeding, or the male trying to breed when the female isn't ready and so she will fight back, and if she is the bigger one, then the male will lose.

So contrary to what Kodie said, no matter what sex your young one is, its not a good idea.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:28 pm

No really don't!!!
It's a bad idea!
Unless you're breeding then you should never house leos together. They are purely solitary. They will most likely fight!

PS- Sorry Kodieh
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Status Status : Hello!
LGF Points LGF Points : 374

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 am

There are typically exceptions to the standards, though your recommendation is the standard. There are people in the world who have kept babies and adults together no problem, and those who had "serial killer" leos. Some have successfully kept two males together in a 20 long for close to 5 years last I heard.

I don't mean to say "you're wrong", nor do I mean to say 'na na na na na", but with proper supervision and maybe a little different feeding locations it could work. It would all come down to food I believe, if the stresser of competition for food is not there then it's possible that other things wouldn't spark up.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:59 am

The competition is for; dominance, role of alpha male, the best heat source, the best humid source, the best cool spot, the best water source, the most secretive spot, the most attention from the carer, the most food, the best type of food, and the list could probably go on...

There is a lot of competition between two leo's living together, and the potential risks just aren't worth it. Any of the things above could cause arguments and fights, and when it is two leo's of different size the fight can be fatal very easily.

Hope that has cleared up why its mostly disagreed with.

Males can very very rarely live together when brought up together from hatchling and had no interaction with any females at all in their lives.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi noble and welcome to the forum. Just to add my 2 cents to the arguement... maybe... after a 60 day QUARANTINE period (which you have all seemed to forget about Wink ) you could try a slow introduction once the smaller leo is closer to the same size as your current leo. The reasons for quarantine aside of the obvious illness is the setting in period is less stressful so your leo is likely going to start eating sooner after being introduced to his new environment. Not to mention it affords you the opportunity to learn the new leos "schedule" when he needs to eat, how much he eats, how often it deficates, if his stool are normal or questionable (possible indication of parasites, impaction or other issues), how much he drinks etc. Also his time affords you the chance to be sure if your new leo is male or female to help avoid breeding conflicts or premature copulation reslting in serious fights.

So that's it. I hope some of this helps clear up the problems/pitfalls of multi leo enclosures
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 pm

I do house some of mine together but I make SURE that they are all the same size. It is NOT suggested that you keep leos housed together at all and at the very least it should only be done by an experienced keeper. I keep some of my breeding ladies together but am checking constantly for signs of fights, arguments and signs of dominance. And even still this does not mean that I won't wake some morning and have an unfortunate mishap.

So, the point I am getting at is that they should not be housed together at all and especially NOT when they are not the same size.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 am

oh boy i wish i read all this earlier today Sad I went out and got two new leos and put them all in together i got a diablo blanco and a tangerine one i put them all in everything seamed okay bob my bigger female came out of her cave and look at the two new girls i got them both tempered female. there not that much smaller than bob the diablo is 3/4 bobs size that the tangerine is 1/2. in the cage i added a second story and i have one big water dish with pretty rocks in it, in the middle with two food bowls one in the warm side one in the cold and i have lots of crickets i can offer i keep lots of them for my T's, i have 1 humid hid 4 hot hides and 4 cold hides a second story on the cold side and a hammock on the hot side i have a extra ten gallon tank thank i could put them new babies in what do you think?
Oh and thank you guys Smile
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:27 am

The first thing that you should do with ANY new leos no matter where they come from is quarantine them. You should never just place a new leo in with your others because you never know where they have been and if they have a parasite or illness they can pass on. I have heard of whole breeding colonies wiped out because they introduced a new leo that was ill without showing any symptoms. It is too late for that now, but you do know for the future Smile . If you were going to seperate any of them out I would take out the tang. With being half the size of bob she could be a target and would most easily be hurt. Also, she would most likely be the most timid.

Now in a perfect world I would seperate them all out but if that is not possible this is the way I would work it out. Great job though on having many hides and food dishes and all. That would have been more advice I would have given but you have got all that under control. thumbs up

BTW Can't wait to see the pictures of them.....lol
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:32 am

Yeah i would take em out into the ten gallon you have so you can observe and qurantine the new ones.

Personally i think you should take both out and put them in the ten galon that way the least dominance will occur.

Whoever goes in with bob no matter what size is now considered to be in'bob's territory' to bob, so bob will automatically try and gain dominance.

So it is best to have nobody in with bob just yet.
And if you put the two new one's in the ten gallon, then that is neutral territory.

And as another note, since you've got multiple leos housed together either way your settling in period is going to be a lot longer.
Looking forward to seeing the DB.

Also, are you completely sure the new ones are both female? Just to make deciding the housing situation easier, if any are male or a possiblity of being male, then THAT ONE should be the one housed alone.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Just as a side note; There are never any "noob" or "stupid" questions. Well, technically, the "noob" or "stupid" questions are the ones left unasked. We're here to help, and we'd love to do it!
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:32 pm

+1 on what Kodieh said:)
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm not 100% sure that they are female but they were tempered for female while they were eggs. I need to go get a second uth for the ten gallon i can have that up and running tomorrow :/ thank you guys very much by the way =D
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:07 pm

What substrate do you use, if I may so ask?
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:12 pm

paper towels
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:16 pm

If you'd like a more "permanent" substrate, some simple slate or ceramic tile would be just the same. You could just wash it and not worry about the money for paper towels.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:37 pm

i might do that i would need to go to lows, it would look better that for sure
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:40 pm

Yeah, I spent like 8 bucks or something at Lowes for all the tile I got. It might be more if you decide to measure out and have Lowes cut the tile to the perfect fit.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Let's try to stay on topic please Very Happy
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 am

Update

Everyone is doing well I kept them in the 20 gallon long tank everything seems to be working out great! I have the ten gallon on stand by if needed. I went to lows and got some 12x12 tile but it dose not fit in just right so I need to take it back and have it trimed. The orange Leo is very sweet if I put my hand in her cage she will walk right on it to come out and play. The white one is more timed but once she is out of the enclosure she calms down. I got a light dimmer to keep the heat around 93 digrees on the hot side, And I went out and got a little scale that weighs in grams and bob now weighs 57grams! It seems that each of them has chosen a different spot for a restroom so that's always fun cleaning up at the end of the day lol.
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by TxGeck Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:58 am

that's good to hear and great advise from everyone

TxGeck

LGF Points LGF Points : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content