Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

two new female leopard geckos

+3
samsleopardgeckos
Kermit
canadiangirl
7 posters

Go down

two new female leopard geckos Empty two new female leopard geckos

Post by canadiangirl Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:23 am

Here is the new Leopards I decided on. The one is a TUG Sunglow, she is very skinny and I likley would have passed if she was not as active as she was. She is curious, very fast and far from mellow. She has attitude toward other females but we are okay with that as we are going to work on a nice rack so they can all be housed seperate anyways. She is presently in her own enclosure and loving it. She seems to love tong feeding for some reason, I am not sure if her aim is off or what or she just prefers that, time will tell.
two new female leopard geckos 264972_10150654860480113_797150112_19378609_1278980_n
two new female leopard geckos 253795_10150654871545113_797150112_19378734_2178451_n

Here is my new female bell. She is not as bright as the male but just as mellow. She is huge! Her tail is so fat and healthy looking! She is presently in with my Phantom and male bell and seems to like it in there.
two new female leopard geckos 263947_10150654880065113_797150112_19378826_5884639_ntwo new female leopard geckos 263758_10150654898040113_797150112_19379072_7608066_n
canadiangirl
canadiangirl

LGF Points LGF Points : 91

Back to top Go down

two new female leopard geckos Empty Re: two new female leopard geckos

Post by Kermit Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 am

Wow that IS a big fat tail on the bell gal isn't it... they both look wonderful. I don't think the sunglow looks too thin at all honestly. Don't worry about the sunglow's attitude. I'm sure she'll mellow out with a lil time and handling. Can't explain why she prefers tong feeding... maybe just something she was conditioned to. Eros won't eat out of a dish either but I think hand feeding is better anyway. It really helps them bond with you and really gives a positive reinforcement to hands in their viv.

Nice fireplace btw... I love natural stone fire places... they're so pretty. I have 2 in my house, 1 is black marble faced and the other is another type of black onyx type stone with out the marbling.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by canadiangirl Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:13 am

Thanks! The Sunglow is not too bad with me, just other geckos. She does get rather "into" tong feeding so if I am not fast enough for her then she bites the ends and I am scared she will hurt her poor mouth. We have started out own meal orm colony cause she polished off atleast 30 her first night here! I like the natural looking fireplaces too. This house is 25 years old so that was the style then, it has character! The part that sucks is they went and converted it to gas and I much prefer the natural wood birning fire places as they smell so nice. Oh well maybe we"ll switch it back one day.
canadiangirl
canadiangirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 am

I guess marble and black onyx were the style in 1850 when my house was built Very Happy As far as the fear of her hurting her mouth with tong feeding... hows about dropping the worm in front of her out of the tongs for her to grab offa the floor? have you tried that? also if she's eating 30 mealies in 1 sitting you might want to consider breeding superworms insted. She would likely only need to eat 5 or so of those versus 30 mealies which imo is a HUGE meal. Supers are just as easy to breed really, they live and won't morph as long as you feed them and keep them together. Supers need to be seperated into their own slot (like in a tackle box) and stop feeding before they'll pupate. Also they offer a little better nutritional value, there's a sticky in the nutrition section that goes into the breakdown of different feeder insects just so you can compare. Kinda lucky she didn't regurg but also watch out for constipation with all that shell being ingested at once. I would limit her feedings in the future to no more than 12-15 mealies a feeding... that way she has a chance to digest everything and you can avoid potential constipation issues. I'd also keep her viv a little on the warmer end to make sure she's getting proper digestion... 93-95*F is where I'd keep her at.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by canadiangirl Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:55 am

Oh okay thanks for the tips! Never really thought about the impactions possibility with all the mealies, I was just happy she ate! I also got a couple pinkies in the freezer I may try her with. She has had clutches this year so she has been skinny since then. I also feed crickets so I will lighten up on the meal worms for sure. I will read up on both colonies to see if we can do the supers.

Thanks Again
canadiangirl
canadiangirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:05 am

be careful using pinkies... leos aren't exactly designed to digest bone and fur like that but occasionally after breeding season 1 or 2 can be offered (preferably about a month apart) to help them get their wieght back. Usually you want weight gain after a depleation like egg laying or emaciation from ill care to be slow and gradual in order to avoid refeeding syndrom (please google it, scary stuff). I would honestly be more comfortable offering her stuff like phoenix worms and wax worms in her regular feeder insect rotation once a week or so, feeder insects that are a bit higher in fat, to put weight on before I'd resort to pinkies. Just a note tho if you do add phoenix worms into their diet they DO NOT need a calcium suppliment as phoenix worms have a VERY high calcium content naturally, but if you only use them on occasion to help recover from certain circumstances then continue with the calcium suppliment as usual.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:16 am

you have 2very nice looking girls there Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:45 pm

very beautiful
Leesah
Leesah

LGF Points LGF Points : 135

Back to top Go down

Post by Hexclover Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:55 pm

awesome looking leos! thumbs up 2 thumbs up 2