Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

infra red temp guns

5 posters

Go down

infra red temp guns Empty infra red temp guns

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:47 am

just wondering how many of you use them. it seems to me that a lot of people dont, and i dont understand why. i have been using one for about fifteen years and wouldnt want to keep ANY reptile without using one! i have used three hundred dollar ones all the way down to twenty five dollar ones. i now use the 50 dollar pro exotics pe2 and i like it as much as any of the more expensive raytek guns i used to use. i dropped a raytek in a bucket of water about three years ago and picked up a pe2 at the cleveland expo the next week. i was a little leary as it was not a "big fancy" type, but i gotta tell you all, this is as good as most of the ones you can buy, just less a few features! i think the advantages are sooo overwhealming that i will never go without one(i also have a brand new one as a backup...stupid buckets of water!) you can check every inch, of every enclosure...cool spots, hot spots. water temps, ect. you can even check the animals temps! i have even used my to check my kids temps! these read surface temps, not air temps, so to check your ambient temps, just shoot the water surface or the sides of the enclosure not directly on a heating element, simple as that. i also check the accuracy of mine on occasion by putting a cup of water in the freezer and checking on it untill it starts to crystalize, then shoot it...it should obviously read around 32*f. i have had the little digital thermos read up to nine degrees different from each other with the probes on the SAME spot! so i always use my temp guns to double check my thermos in my incubators...i dont even use normal thermometers in my enclosures! i was just wondering if anyone here has used these and to advise if you dont have one, maybe check them out...they are worth their weight in gold...seroiusly...
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

infra red temp guns Empty Re: infra red temp guns

Post by Jordan Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 am

yup i use one, cost 30 quid-ish. (around 50 dollars)

And it works great... but all i really use it for is checking to see if my digital thermometers are still accurate.

Its great but i think i could live without it. Because my digital thermometers always end up to seem pretty accurate.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:40 am

What's one of those guns?? I've never heard of them
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 am

they are a no~contact thermometer that is a hand held device that reads temperatures. they were originally used in the food industry(i think) and moved to the automotive and now are used with reptiles. most of them shoot a red laser to show you where the gun is reading. they are a single button device and are very easy to use. check out tempgun.com ...this is the pro exotics brand gun, and chad brown(the owner) is very good and will not use junk! they start at around $25 bucks and go up into several hundred dollars. i use the $50 pe2 and i love mine..check them out, they are great...i wont go without one!!! and the best part is, you only need one to check out all of your enclosures! not one thermo for each enclosure! i have found them more accurate than the rest of the stationary thermos i have used.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:13 am

Smile I will have a look at them now! Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:59 am

i GUARENTEE EVERY large scale breeder out there uses them, guarentee it.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by daddycline Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 am

I use one at work as an auto mechanic and they are very accurate every time. I use a dewalt 12 volt one at work but that will definately be coming home with me very soon. I would definately recommend

daddycline

Status Status : finally got one
LGF Points LGF Points : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:03 am

I actually bought one off Amazon for $21 USD (that's with shipping)...pretty good deal. Very accurate. infra red temp guns 131791 I'm not a breeder, but it really helped me out with my temps...the probe for my leo's tank isn't reading right. The hot side was almost at 100ºF from my temp gun reading, but the probe was reading 92ºF Shocked Temp guns = must!
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down