Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Temp fluctuations Can't order my leos until fixed

+3
mrs looney
Kodieh
msebar
7 posters

Go down

Temp fluctuations Can't order my leos until fixed Empty Temp fluctuations Can't order my leos until fixed

Post by msebar Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:04 am

Pic below

Tuesday Night

I just finished setting up my unit and have some questions on heat fluctuation.
I have a 17x11 UTH 23watt on a 90g tanks. This UTH is hooked up to a thermostat. My top temp on the thermostat claims 93.4 digital without giving the thermostat a chance to turn off. I set the therm to be at 93 so I can see it regulate the temps. My other sensor give me a reading of 1.4 less and both probes are next to each other. This morning I noticed that it was down to 88.5 and going up. Will this fluctuation be a problem? My other side of the tank is low at 76 and high of 82 but this probe is floating at mid tank. Humidity is at 80% in the moist hide. My house temps range from 76 to 79. I am going to add some installation to the bottom of the heat pad as per the manufacturer to get the pads up to 96 if needed. Once I get this done I can order my Leos. YEA

Wednesday Night

I added the insulation last night and I was able to get higher temps. My only problem right now is the fluctuations in temps. I see a lower swing of 4 degrees and a higher swing of 1 degree. At a temp set for 95 degrees the unit will go as high as 96 and shut off and then down to 91 before it turns back on. Is this swing ok or not.

Another problem I am having is my no contact Infrared Thermometer reads the substrate as 89 degrees and my regular digital thermometer reads 91 and the thermostat reads 95 degrees. Then I added another one and that one reads 90 degrees. Which one do I follow?

Please help I want to order my little ones soon

Temp fluctuations Can't order my leos until fixed 111110
msebar
msebar

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 36

Back to top Go down

Temp fluctuations Can't order my leos until fixed Empty Re: Temp fluctuations Can't order my leos until fixed

Post by Kodieh Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:27 am

That swing sounds fine, I think you should check into a pulse thermostat instead so it keeps steady better.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Temp fluctuations Can't order my leos until fixed Empty Re: Temp fluctuations Can't order my leos until fixed

Post by mrs looney Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:34 am

oh my god i want your set up lol thats well cool Very Happy
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Status Status : failed my driving test today
LGF Points LGF Points : 678

Back to top Go down

Post by msebar Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:06 am

Thanks it took me about two weeks
msebar
msebar

Back to top Go down

Post by msebar Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:08 am

I thought the temps need to be a more regular . Thans I can order my Leos yea
msebar
msebar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:35 am

It's most likely your brand of thermostat "creating" the swing. Like I said, a simple pulse thermometer will fix that in a jiffy.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Wow, your setup is stunning! Lucky leo to live in a palace like that. BTW, how do you plan to keep the moist hide moist?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by msebar Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:46 pm

The tops of the center hides come off so I can spray them down with water. I was thinking of making a drip system but that will come later.
msebar
msebar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:51 am

There will usually be differences in readings between manufacturers, it is rare for 2 thermometers to read the same even from the same manufacturer, simply because of quality control. Infra red temp guns are likely your most accurate means of measuring heat in your viv. Even when using a thermostat there is a range of acceptable variance between temp reading and your thermostat responding with turning on or shutting off heating elements. Even if you have a high set at 95 it could hit 97-98 before your thermostat responds, same with the low end, even if yhou have it set at 88 itt could go as low as 85 before it turns on heating elements. Hatched leos, juvie, and adult aren't as sensitive to a temp swing of a few degrees either way, it won't hurt them or have a negative impact until you reach several days of inappropriate temps. In the incubator however, temp swings of even a couple degrees can have a negative impact on your eggs.

So I'd say your fine to order your leo thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:24 am

As someone above said a pulse stat is better - it doesn't switch one and off like a on/off stat but pulses from hot to cold. not causing too much of a high or low within the temps.

Loving the setup its amazing, always wanted to do one of these, but never had the time or money lol
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by msebar Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:57 am

Thanks for loving the setup. The cost is not as bad as you think. I will give you the break down in US dollars. Don't forget this is for a 90 G tank 48 long x 18 Deep x 24 High

Foam 5 sheets 8.00
Non sand grount 12.00
2 tubes of liquid nail 4.00
Paint 2 large bottles 5.00
Matte Sealer non toxic 8.00
Bag of sand 3.00

Total 40.00
msebar
msebar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:42 am

What the pulse thermostat actually does is pulse electricity to the heat mat, allowing it to maintain the desired heat.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:22 am

wow it looks lovely Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:13 am

wow thats not a bad price at all !!!

Wonder if it would work in rubs though x
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down