Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long before i should worry?

5 posters

Go down

How long before i should worry? Empty How long before i should worry?

Post by srawlings Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:28 pm

New leo isnt eating and spending a lot of time in the hide...

i did a lot of research and searched a lot on here, the temps and hides are good.

i just want to know how long until there might be an issue?

its been 6 days, i understand some take 2 weeks to adjust but is that an extreme case?

thanks

srawlings

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 42

Back to top Go down

How long before i should worry? Empty Re: How long before i should worry?

Post by Mardy Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Sometimes it can take quite a long time for a new gecko to get used to the new tank, new environment, and new owners. What feeders are you using? For new leopard geckos, I've successfully jump started their feeding by offering crickets. Crickets just seem to excite their hunting instinct, and once they start eating, you can then try other feeders of your choosing.

This is of course provided that your husbandry is good, temperatures are good, and that you have hides in there that allows the gecko to feel secure & safe.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:29 pm

It does take some time to settle in esp.for younger leos but if you could take a minute and fill out our care questionnaire we can look over your husbandry to make sure theres nothing hindering your leos settling in http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions you'd be surprised how many times people think they're doing everything right but have some key elements like substrait or lights that are wrong stressing their leo and hindering their progress. Theres a lot of misinformation out there however we pride ourselves on being one of the most reliable sources on the web thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfbane468 Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 pm

cleo took 6 days before she would even pop her head out of her hide she only came out to eat and then only if i wasnt there, patience is the key not always watching the tank waiting as they wont come out if ur there, try dropping a mealie right at the enterance to there hide when u know they are awake once they taste it they will start poking head out to search then just drop them tiny bit further away so there instincts for food take over there fear, eventually they will be out and about and u can introduce your hand.
wolfbane468
wolfbane468
Loyal Member

Status Status : XBOX gamertag wolfbane468
LGF Points LGF Points : 473

Back to top Go down

Post by srawlings Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:08 am

Care Questionaire:

About your leo:
- Female (i think... i checked)
- Age & Weight- unsure but small, maybe 5 in long
- Morph (if you know)- ???
- How long have you owned your leo- since 12 FEB 2012
- Where was he/she obtained- Petsmart
- Is your leo wild caught or captive bred-???

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo-not at all yet... soon hopefully
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how- doesnt really do anything but hide so i dont kno
B) Fecals
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal- they all look the same
- When was the last time he/she went- every day... just started doing in the toilet thing i got for her... i think thats awesome
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem/issue you are experiencing and how long it has been going on- not sure if shes eating enough or coming out enough

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size- 20L
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept)-Glass
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.) -vinyl tiles with paper towel over them
- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.)-3, warm (half log), wet (ziplock bowl upside down with hole paper towels and moss inside), and cool (a cave thing that goes on both sides of the glass so you can open and see her) which is where she spends all of her time
B) Heating
- What is your main heat source (heat bulbs, under tank heat mat etc) **Please include the brand and size of your UTH if you use one** UTH but not sure the brand, whatever the one they sell at petsmart is, and i will soon pick up a ceramic heat bulb for it as well
- What are your cage temps (hot side and cool side) 93 and 75
- Method of regulating your heat source (thermostat, rheostat, light dimmer etc.) light dimmer
- What are you using to measure your temps (probe thermometer, infrared lazer tempo gun, stick on temp gauge, etc) probe
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle duration) no
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) none

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What are you feeding- mealworms
- How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding? 8 mealworms are in the dish and have been for a couple days, before that they didnt have a bowl and ran around
- How are you feeding (hand fed, tongs/tweezers, left in dish, ect) dish
B) Supplements
- What calcium suppliment are you using (please include brand) reptical calcium with d3
- What multi vitimin are you using (please include brand)none
-How are you implimenting your suppliment program (how often do you dust with each suppliment, do you leave calcium in the tank 24/7 etc.) pile in tank 24/7, she has pooped on the calcium pile twice now... what could that mean?
- What are you gutloading your feeder insects with, oatmeal and carrots

srawlings

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:18 am

Your set up sounds good, a couple things I'd chage is get a votif candle holder for your calcium, move it out of the poop corner, less of a chance of her fouling it. Also she's likely pooing in the calcium because its more natural to look for something she can scratch in to bury her poo and hide evidence of her existance. Primitive prey animal instinct of survival. Sounds like she'd enjoy a litterbox. Can be as simple as a tupperware lid with some desert sand or as complex as a small box wrapped with duct tape filled with desert sand. I have pix of mine in the show off your set up thread and likely also in the how to make the perfect leo set up sticky. If your leo is young she may like her hot side a little warmer. You can try 94-95*F and see if that makes her more active. Try smaller hides, the half log hide may not make her fee as secure as the tight stick on the glass hide. Last thing is you need to incorporate a multi vitamin in her suppliment plan. Your leo needs a source of D3 or tey can't absorb calcium and you can't leave calcium with D3 in her viv or you risk hypervitaminosis. So id either switch to an all in 1 suppliment like repashy calcium plus or t-rex complete leopard gecko dust icb, or get the multi vit. And calcium with D3.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by James Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 am

I have used an empty morio worm plastic box as my leos as my leos litter tray; as she was always pooing in her moist hide so I took the paper tissue that she had pood on and put it in her litter tray and she now poos in there Smile

Last edited by James on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:19 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Bad spelling lol)
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down