Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long does it take for a gecko to eat.

4 posters

Go down

How long does it take for a gecko to eat. Empty How long does it take for a gecko to eat.

Post by hpoquiz Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:26 pm

I got my gecko 2 days ago i just wanted to know how long does it take for her to eat since she havent eaten since the day i got her there is a bowl with worms in her tank but she doesnt eat them instead licks the calcium powder. Any ideas ?
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 292

Back to top Go down

How long does it take for a gecko to eat. Empty Re: How long does it take for a gecko to eat.

Post by Kodieh Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:28 pm

This is the dreaded "Adjustment Period"! *scary horror music*

Give him/her about a week with limited contact to get used to his/her new surroundings and he/she should start eating in no time. Smile Also, some just aren't bowl feeders! He/she may not know food is there!
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

How long does it take for a gecko to eat. Empty Re: How long does it take for a gecko to eat.

Post by hpoquiz Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I put the worm infront of her and then put it in the bowl. She sees them since when she steps on the bowl she feels the worms moving and just lick the powder instead eating the worms. So it will take a week for her to start eating again ? and is it normal that she stays more on her moist hide than her heat hide ?
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 pm

It could be the heat is too hot in the warm hide, or they just prefer the moist hide (it wont negatively affect them at all!). It is typically a week, but I stress the limited contact to just spot cleaning the cage. No nose against the cage, handling, or anything like that. That will help the animal adjust. I know it's hard, but thats what works. Smile
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Ok thanks. I'll see the adjustment after a week.
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:20 pm

I have to correct you on someting Kodie, spending too much time in their moist hide CAN lead to upper respratory problems and skin infections such as skin rot from the constant high moisture levels in the moist hides so it is generally countermanded to allow your leo to spend the majority of their time in their moist hides.

The settling in period can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It all depends on the idividual leo and the environment you provide. Making sure your temps are right, 90-96*F and measuring them accurately with a probe thermometer are both great ways to making sure yuo have a good start on your husbandry, Providing multipul hides so that your leo doesn't feel exposed is also helpful.

Lastly, what was your leo eating before you bought it/brought it home? Leos that are often fed mostly crickets or superworms may not take to mealies as they aren't very active and they're pretty puny. Use appropriately sized food for your leo, nothing bigger around than the space between it's eyes, and something that is active to trigger prey drive would be best for attracting her to eat.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:57 am

The person who sold me the leo said he feeds her super worms. She's a 7 month old female leo.
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:00 am

I find that a light pinch on the mealworms tail or head, mostly the head, will make them squirm around and help your leo's prey instinct kick in. Luckily mine was already fed mealies so i don't need to, but i enjoy watching my leo's prey instinct kick in.
Pinned27
Pinned27

LGF Points LGF Points : 216

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:15 am

Since the day i got her she nver ate Wink) 4th day now Smile still waiting. But now shes ok with the surrounding comes out looks at me lol.
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down