Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanley's Eye Shed CAME OFF!!

5 posters

Go down

Stanley's Eye Shed CAME OFF!! Empty Stanley's Eye Shed CAME OFF!!

Post by Jess Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:41 am

So poor Stanley started shedding last night. Since he refuses to try his humid hide, he was pretty miserable. He was scooting around his tank last night, and rubbing against everything. This morning he had gotten most of it off: There was still some on his foot, the end of his tail, and under it. But the shed in his eye had gotten HUGE... Before he could mostly close his eye around it, but it was completely bulging out of his eye now! So I gave him another soak, put some water on it, and started gently rubbing it... And this is what come out of Stanley's eye:

Stanley's Eye Shed CAME OFF!! 1218011209

Stanley's Eye Shed CAME OFF!! 1218011209a

His eye looks like it is permanently damaged though. Sad It is completely black and opaque-looking. I hope he at least feels a little more comfortable now though. He didn't get upset with me when I was rubbing it off, and afterward he started blinking and licking off his bad eye. I wonder how long that thing was on there?!

And another quick question... I'm having issues with my stupid UTH. I finally got one for Stan last night. It's the same exact one as Stella's (A Medium Exo-Terra "desert" one), and they have the same substrate and everything. But my therm says this one is ony getting to about 84*F? I'm not sure if the therm is wrong or if the UTH is defective. It feels about the same as Stella's, but her therm says that hers is in the low 90s. Stan's therm is an extra digital Zilla one I had, and Stella's is an Acu-Rite. I put the Zilla's therm in Stella's viv too to compare, and it says that hers is only about 86*F? What is going on here?!

I'm going to get Stan an Acu-Rite therm tonight, because I trust those more than the Zilla one. This is SO frustrating!
Jess
Jess

Status Status : :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 302

Back to top Go down

Stanley's Eye Shed CAME OFF!! Empty Re: Stanley's Eye Shed CAME OFF!!

Post by evilsloth Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:34 am

Are they being kept on the same substrate? I have a medium Exo Terra UTH desert and it is 88f ish but it goes through tile.

evilsloth

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 221

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:42 am

i would invest in a temp gun. then you will KNOW, and there is never a doubt on your temps. when it comes to reptiles, never skimp....buy the best, and if you cant afford it, save up untill you can...
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:40 am

I have shelf liner substrate for both of them.

@rickmoss: what is a good temp gun? I've been wanting one, but I'm not sure which ones are good. I was thinking the Zoomed brand one?
I know that the Acu-Rite ones are pretty trusted though, and I like to just see what the temps are constantly too!
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 am

aw man poor guy im so glad it finally came off! if his eye is cloudy looking you might want to take him into the vet to make sure he doesn't have a infection as well. after having that on so long i wonder if it was stinging once it came off. but either way im glad its off now. as for the temp its interesting that its not working as well, until you can figure it out you might want to try take away the substrate from where the uth is and just place a thin paper towel ontop and see if that raises it at all.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:51 pm

jess, i have used tempguns like raytek and some other higher end, more costly type...and in the past five or six years, i have been using the pe2 from pro exotics. the pe1 starts at 25 bucks, and the pe2 is 50 bucks...i have done quite abit of testing these units against some of my pricey'er models....and i have found they are every bit as good, and even more accurate in some cases. the owner of pro exotics is chad brown, he is a former pro football player, and he does not settle for second best...so his tempguns are really great products, ESPECIALLY for the money. they are really great, go to tempgun.com. that is where you will find them, and i highly reccomend them! i wouldnt even bother with anything else honestly...they are really high quality, and really great prices.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Jess Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Ok, thanks I'll consider getting one! I just got Stan a Zoomed UTH and it works perfectly, so that problem has been solved. Smile

And I thought I'd let everyone know that his eye is doing really well! It isn't black anymore and I can actually see his pupil, so I think he can see out of it after all. Smile It still looks a little odd though: Like the eyeball is pushed back too far, and kind of off-center.
Jess
Jess

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:56 am

I honestly hate exo terra heat mats. I've never had one able to heat past 90 with minimal substrait. However I truly LOVE the Ultratherm cobra heat mats. A constant consistent 100*F output, all copper heating elements makes them more accurate, and priced fair. Search ultratherm on the forum, alot should come up. Just so you know low not side temps have been linked with bad sheds do getting those temps right is crucial.

Glad you got that off his eye, I'm sure he feels much better. You may need a vet visit to determine three exact residual damage. He could need lubricating drops until the write surface is repaired, our even permanently depending on the damage. If his eye starts to pit or wrinkle and deflate you need a vet asap. I would keep gliding with the plain saline the next 48 hrs just to be sure all the debris is cleared out.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down