Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banana's first ever shed problem

4 posters

Go down

Banana's first ever shed problem  Empty Banana's first ever shed problem

Post by gothicgurrrl Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:17 am

Banana had her first ever shed problem today.. I went to check on her before I was going to go to bed and she had shed skin stuck all over her right eye and her nose. I sprayed her face with warm water which she was not impressed with. Then I wet some kitchen roll and slowly rubbed most of it off.. she was surprising calm considering she usually seems to hate when I handle her lol Very Happy I got my mom to get the shed skin from around her eye because i couldn't do it.. i didnt want to do anything wrong and hurt her eye. I've gotten it off her eyes but there's a piece of shed skin flap on her nose so I've left her to get it off because i didnt want to poke at her face too much and stress her out.. i'll check her again in a hour and if it's still there, I'm going to help her get it off Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Banana's first ever shed problem  Empty Re: Banana's first ever shed problem

Post by joneill Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Oh dear, thats not good but I am sure you will get the stuck skin off. Just keep trying but give it a break between attempts. Also, you could spray the glass sides of her tank where the heat mat is and it will increase the humidity of the air inside her tank. This will help to moisten the skin.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:27 am

haha it's okay Smile
I got it off on the same night that it happened Very Happy
She was so calm.. and she usually acts like she hates being handled by me Very Happy I was so surprised!
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:10 am

I just had to remove some shed skin off my big boy last night, he had shed stuck on his toes. Used qtip and it worked great, although it took awhile because toe sheds aren't easy to pull off.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Immy Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:52 am

My leo has the exact same problem right now, which is also his first shedding problem. He can't open his right eye and seems determined to get it off, but doesn't look very happy :\ I thought that we should give him an hour or so to see if he can do it but if not, I think we will have to try warm cotton buds or kitchen towel. We've misted him a little but he didn't enjoy that one bit, and it didn't seem to help. I doubt he will like us shedding him, but I guess there's no other way, unless he manages by himself :\ poor thing.
Immy
Immy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:02 am

awww I hope he's okay and that you can get the shed skin off his eye

I just got some warm water and folded up a piece of kitchen roll/paper towel and slowly dabbed it on her eye and then slowly and gently rubbed the shed skin with the same pieces of wet kitchen roll.. it was slowly peeling back. Eventually it peeled away from her eye and the piece of skin was rolled down to near her nose and I let her get that off herself Smile

Before I tried all of this, I made a 'sauna' for her. You get a plastic storage container and put in warm wet kitchen roll so it's like a humid hide and then you pop only a few airholes in the lid and put your gecko inside it for no longer than 10 mins.. I did 5 mins and it acts like a sauna and can help loosen the skin.

gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down