Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heating? New owner :( help!

3 posters

Go down

Heating? New owner :( help! Empty Heating? New owner :( help!

Post by ashleyevan Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:09 pm

So I just got two baby leopard geckos today, one albino and one orange! I have them in a plastic container with holes (just temporary) but the bottom has paper towls and I have a two hiding places for them. I have a heating pad covering half of the bottom of the tank to keep them warm. But the heating pad turns off every few hours. So what could happen to them if they go a few hours over night without the heat?

ashleyevan

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 148

Back to top Go down

Heating? New owner :( help! Empty Re: Heating? New owner :( help!

Post by Tsuhei Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 pm

Congrats on getting your first leopard geckos! Smile Paper towel is an excellent substrate for young leopard geckos Heating? New owner :( help! 131791 .

First, your UTH should only cover 1/3 of your tank to establish a proper temperature gradient.

Second, do you have a light dimmer/rheostat? Your UTH shouldn't just randomly turn off unless it's getting way too hot. Do you have a thermometer with a probe to place on the bottom of the tank?

Also, since you have two leos, you should have double the hides (two on the cool side, two on the hot side, and two moist hides). This will allow them to get away from each other and lessen the chance of conflict/fights/tail nips etc.

Another point for later when you're done with your temporary set up: since you have two leopard geckos, you might want to look into getting a 20 gallon tank. I understand you can probably house two geckos together in a 10 gallon, but the more space the better. Usually, it's a 10 gallon per gecko rule to make sure they don't fight.

Do you know their sex? Two male leos can not be kept together. They'll fight.

Now, to answer your question: They CAN go a few hours over night without heat depending on the temperature of your house. If the ambient temperature of your house is at LEAST 75ºF, I think it would be acceptable. Any lower would be bad. If your UTH is broken, get a replacement with a rheostat and a temp probe ASAP. They need belly heat to digest food. Smile

EDIT: I'm sure you have one of these, but they will need a water bowl on the cool side of the tank. Wink Just wanted to cover the bases.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:19 pm

Tsuhei i think she has a normal human heating pad under the tank, those are set to turn off every hour. but not to worry, Tsuhei has given you great basics! here is a awesome thread about the proper housing for leopard geckos. make sure to read over it well it has allot of helpful tips in it!
http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t166-proper-housing-for-leopard-geckos
the best basic set up you could get for your little guys is.
a 10 gal starter tank. which is around $10
digital probe thermometer, around $10 (dont buy those round thermometer you stick to the wall of the tank, they suck and wont work for your leopard geckos because you need to measure the floor temp not the room temp)
you can make them hides from old paper towel roles, old Tupperware with a hole cut into it.
you are going to want to make a cold side and hot side meaning you have a heating pad on 1/3rd of the tank and that will be the hot side. the cool side has no heat and is were the water goes along with a hide or two.
you will need to make them a moist hide. that can be made out of tupperware that you put a hole in and keep the lid on, you put some paper towels in the hide and mist it with some spring water, make sure to give them spring water it is the best for them.
thats pretty much it until they get bigger. but you will definitely want to get them the under tank heater. and the hot side (on the floor) should be around 89 to 95 degrees. if you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask!! oh and send us some cute pictures of them as soon as they settle in!
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:21 pm

@ Mystic - Embarassed Oh that would make much more sense if it keeps turning off! Haha. Great information, Mystic. Heating? New owner :( help! 131791

And ditto on how to make the moist hides. Very Happy That's what I use!
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:41 pm

lol no worries Tsuhei the only reason i knew what they meant is because when my friend got a garter snake she used one until she got a uth and i had to use one of those darn things for my dubia roaches before i got them a uth lol i hated that thing! it was evil!
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:17 am

Thank you guys soo much! We're moving them into a 20 gallon tank and getting the uth today. So hopefully they'll be happier! They both made their own hides, one in the plastic container and one in between the paper towels! I'll keep you guys posted and thanks again for the help Smile

ashleyevan

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 148

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down