Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally got slate

+5
kathstew
Mardy
joneill
James
Tsuhei
9 posters

Go down

Finally got slate Empty Finally got slate

Post by Tsuhei Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Just as the title says. Very Happy I sliiiightly rearranged stuff in the tank, but it's not super different so I wouldn't stress Typhon out. Stuck the moist hide on the hot side of the tank as well to see how that goes. What do you guys think? Smile

Here's how red the red slate was before washing it...kinda sad it got lighter. =/
Finally got slate Dscn0156vd

Without make-shift steps:
Finally got slate Dscn0158b

With make-shift steps:
Finally got slate Dscn0159p
Finally got slate Dscn0161df
Finally got slate Dscn0162b

Sorry that the pictures are a little crooked. I was doing my best to keep balance lol. Embarassed

EDIT: Had to take the rock off the top of the moist hide. Apparently he can scoot the tupperware around already and I don't want it to fall on him.
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Finally got slate Empty Re: Finally got slate

Post by James Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Looking good Smile
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Looks really smart! Well done! Much better than the paper towel. Btw, that sure is a LOT of powdered supplement you put in the feed bowl with the mealies. Does Typhon eat the mealies from that bowl?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:07 pm

joneill wrote:Looks really smart! Well done! Much better than the paper towel. Btw, that sure is a LOT of powdered supplement you put in the feed bowl with the mealies. Does Typhon eat the mealies from that bowl?

It was actually feeding time. Very Happy I'm really lazy going one worm at a time from bowl to tank...so each time, I pour the supplement into the bowl and then add 10-15 mealies and roll em around in it. Once he's had his fill, he goes into a hide and then I dump all of the excess into a plastic bag for later use. Finally got slate 131791 If there's extra mealies, I set them aside while I take out the excess. He's not a bowl eater so I have to feed him mealies one-by-one. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the compliments~! I'm having a difficult time raising the hot side temp now...we'll see how it goes. Neutral It's currently 84.6ºF there. Been cranking up my rheostat like mad...I guess it takes extra power to heat through slate. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Unfortunately, I had to take out the tile under his warm hide. It wasn't getting hot enough. The slate is 1/4 of an inch thick and has ridges on the bottom that keep the entire tile from touching the glass. Sad Oh well..at least the rest of the tank looks good? Neutral

Double EDIT: Just wanted to add this in because it scared the bejeebus out of me and Typhon. I stuck my hand into the warm hide to feel the temperature of the slate by hand to see if my probe wasn't working...instead, I pressed my hand on top of Typhon (not hard, though!). Typhon was sleeping in there and I had no idea. Embarassed He jumped up and clicked and I yanked my hand out as if there were a rattlesnake in the tank instead of a leo. Finally got slate 917362 Lesson learned: look before you shove your hand into a hide!
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Looking good. If slate isn't working well, try ceramic tiles. I've switched to using ceramic tiles because they are lighter, thinner, and seem to conduct heat better. You can find them in home improvement stores, costing the same as slate tiles.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Mardy wrote:Looking good. If slate isn't working well, try ceramic tiles. I've switched to using ceramic tiles because they are lighter, thinner, and seem to conduct heat better. You can find them in home improvement stores, costing the same as slate tiles.

Ceramic, eh? I'll have to stop back at the hardware store to see what they have...the reason I stayed away from it was because I heard that the surface was too smooth? Neutral Is that just for glazed or does that stand for unglazed as well? Because I know they have unglazed ceramic and it looks just like the slate. Very Happy It did look much thinner...does it break easier?
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 am

Looks awesome! Great job! I'm sure he loves it! Very Happy
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:31 am

The unglazed ceramic is thinner, but will not not just break by setting it down. You'd need significant and purposeful force to actually break it. Smile
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyd10 Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:53 am

that's gonna be one happy gecko
jimmyd10
jimmyd10

Status Status : thinking of expanding my kingdom
LGF Points LGF Points : 351

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:17 am

Unglazed ceramic tiles will work fine, they seem to grip pretty well with it. When in doubt run your hand through the surface, there are ceramic tiles that look just like slate and feel almost like slate. They won't break unless you put a lot of force on it through unusual means. Pretty much nothing you or the gecko do inside a terrarium would make it break.

When I tested between slate and ceramic tiles, I got an 8 degree difference in hot spot temperature. That just may put you up to your comfort zone.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrGecko Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:05 am

Looks good!!! I was almost going to use that same hide with the bowl. Your water bowl looks like it is deep. Could id be just the way the picture was taking?
MrGecko
MrGecko

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 94

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuhei Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for the responses guys. I went back to Lowes and got some unglazed ceramic cut. I'm taking a breather in between classes, so I'll be washing it later tonight or tomorrow depending if I finish up this week's review. I'll upload pictures as soon as I can.

As for the water level, it's no more than 1/2 an inch deep, if that. Just the angle making it look deep. Very Happy As for the bowl/hide combo, it's a really great piece. I made a review for it if you want to check it out. Finally got slate 191501
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 pm

wow Smile
It looks great!
I love the colour of the tile!
gothicgurrrl