Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally!!!!

3 posters

Go down

Finally!!!!  Empty Finally!!!!

Post by SuperGecko Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:56 pm

I finally got everything for my leopard gecko i,m getting so does this terrarium. sound right i have a 10 gallon tank,brown repticarpet,bowls,hot hide,moist hide(baby wipes container),and finally a heat lamp (getting heat pad later on).

SuperGecko

LGF Points LGF Points : 115

Back to top Go down

Finally!!!!  Empty Re: Finally!!!!

Post by Kodieh Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:10 pm

The repticarpet will suffice for now, but I recommend in the near future switching to tile for a home improvement store. Everything else though seems good. I'd work on getting the heat pad sooner rather than later too.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Sounds like you're well on your way to a great set up. A couple things I noticed that caused a lil concern was taht a baby wipes box is going to be HUGE in a 10 gallon viv. You can get those glad ware disposeable tupperware dishes at the dollar store a pack of three for under $2 bucks. They fit the leo better, steam up better, and are really easy to cut a lil hole in the side for them to get into, not to mention it will save you a lot of ground space in such a small viv. My Eros loves his moist hide.

Repti carpet also concerns me as I have seen and heard of leos that get their teeth and claws stuck in it when hunting or walking about, not to mention they harbour bacteria really badly so unless you're taking the carpet out the moment it is soiled you're having a sanitary issue until the carpet is changed and washed. That can become a real pain. Like Kodie mentioned tile (either natural stone, ceramic or high end vinyl are all better choices as long as they have some texture to them for the leo to be able to get a slight grip and not slide about the tank. Im not sure if you noticed it but in the housing section there is a really detailed sticky on how to set up the perfect viv for a leo. Might be worth a read. For a 10 gallon tank you'd likely need a tile and a half. If you go with natural stone or another hard surface tile usually places like lowes and home depot will cut them for no fee or a minimal fee. Obviously you can cut the vinyl tiles yourself and a price for this substrait type is usually between $6-$10.

Lastly heat lamps are not generally recommended for your leo as they depend on belly heat not overhead heat. They are not basking animals and overhead heat sources don't provide adequate belly heat for your leo to maintain proper GI performance. They need a heat range of 88-95*F for proper digestion and thermoregulation. This should be monitored by a temperature probe placed directly on the floor of the viv right over the heat mat area. A thermometer is essential for proper leo care.

For the size viv you have a properly sized (should cover no more than 1/3rd your tanks floor surface) zoomed uth shouldn't run more than $10-$15 and the probe another $5-$7 if you get it at a place like lowes, home depot or even some wal marts carry them. Also infrared heat lamps have been known to stress leos out as the light put off is harsh and disturbing to them. If you absolutely have to go with a lamp the moonlight blue bulb is a lot less stressing for your herp but I don't recommend higher than 60 watts. For a 10 gallon you shouldn't need more. 45 might even do it for you BUT a heat mat is the optimum choice.

So hope some of this helps and maybe you can return some of the things you got that aren't exactly what you need. I know the price difference for returning the repti carpet and the heat bulb and dome would more than cover the price of a uth and probe thermometer maybe eve half the price of the tile.

Good luck Finally!!!!  191501
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperGecko Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:10 pm

its not really a heat lamp its just a lamp from a hardware store. Also can i use a red bulb lamp and a heat pad for the winter because it gets cold.

SuperGecko

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Yeah, then I'd be jumping for the UTH. Your little leos might be a bit chilly.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:20 pm

I live in north west Pa and pur winters get pretty brutal. My leo is in a room with 2 84 inch tall windows and a house built in 1850...and just a uth and we never have troubles making proper temps in the winter (we keep the house heat set at 64 most days, dropping it to 60 at bedtime in the winter). If you really do need to suppliment heat that you can't get from a uth alone then it is recommended to use a BLUE moonlight bulb to suppliment as the blue doesn't stress leos out like the red can. If you get a properly sized uth you really shouldn't have any problems making temps unless your substrait is excessively thick (like more than a half inch thick including the tank bottom).
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperGecko Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:23 pm

i live in the windy city (chicago!!!!!!)

SuperGecko

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:36 pm

You should be ok with just a uth... I have friends in cleveland, columbus akron and youngstown ohio as well as buffalo and rochester new york all which have similar temperature extremes like chicago and they're all just find with the uth. The bigger problem you may run into with being in a cold climate where you;'re forced to use your house heat more is shedding issues because of lack of moisture in the air. You likely would need to mist your tank maybe 2x a week at most to make sure you're maintaining proper humidity levels as well as making sure your moist hide substrait is constantly moist.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down