Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mealworm Query?

3 posters

Go down

Mealworm Query? Empty Mealworm Query?

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:36 pm

I have a new jeuvenile and I have started to tempt him on some Meal worms because I don't think he went much on crickets. All I want to know is how many mini meal worms should I feed him and should I keep them in there until they are gone or chuck them away and replace them with new ones the following evening? Also, how should I gut load them? do I need to? should I feed them in the container or give them food whilst they are in the dish??? If anyone could answer this it would be great many thanks Smile

craig88daa

Status Status : Finally got 'Chou' eating :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 83

Back to top Go down

Mealworm Query? Empty Re: Mealworm Query?

Post by mrs looney Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:38 am

hello craig... i would say you should feed him/her every day maybe 5 or 6 meal worms then one day after you have been doing that a while he should start to turn his nose up at them and start feeding every other day if so thats fine just up he's food intake a little bit also the only time u need to chuck them out is if they are not moving/dead as leo's hunt live food.

as for gut loading i just use bug gel which is water made into a gel so the worms cant drown...i find they last longer on this, becuase when you give them salad i find it make them slugish and they die quicker but its up to you if you use salad like lettice any water based salad or the bug gel.

i dont feed any of my leo's with a dish i use tongs to grab the mealworm and i put them infront of them and if they are hungry they will go for it... otherwise they will turn there nose's up at you.. if they do turn there nose's up at you just put about 5 in a dish and leave them over night.... remeber to feed you leo's after it has gone dark say earlie eveing as that is when they are most active.. other then earlie morning but i dont think you will be gettin up that earlie lol

hope this helps
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Status Status : failed my driving test today
LGF Points LGF Points : 678

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:54 am

Juveniles eat a lot, so don't be afraid to feed them as much as they'll eat in 15 minutes. They also get hungry fast, so what I usually do is to feed them in the evenings. If I have time I hand feed them with tong and drop them onto tiles and watch them hunt. It never gets old for me. If I don't have time I put them in a mealworm escape proof dish and fill it up with 15 or so mealworms and let them feast.

Mealworms are easy to gutload, but remember they pupate if you don't keep them in the refrigerator. So what you do is to keep them in the refrigerator majority of the time, find a spot that's the warmest, usually where you put butter on the door. You take them out once or twice a week and feed them carrots, and leave them out for a day. Then remove the carrots (or whatever veggie you use) and put them back into the refrigerator.

Their bedding should already be on oats or wheat bran already, so that's already a source of food for them. Good luck. Mealworm Query? 131791
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:51 am

Hi all thanks for the info Smile I think I may invest in some bug gel and see how I get on with that. Well the good news is for the first time since i've had 'Chou' (about 5 days!!) He is finally eating....Hooray!! I didn't put the worms in the dish because he didn't go for them last time, what I done is put them outside his hide so he could see them, then he would creep up to them pounce on them and sneek back into his hide lol.

craig88daa

Status Status : Finally got 'Chou' eating :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by mrs looney Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:12 am

aww thats lovely glad he is eating

and your welcome anytime Smile
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Status Status : failed my driving test today
LGF Points LGF Points : 678

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down