Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suplement Query.

4 posters

Go down

Suplement Query. Empty Suplement Query.

Post by craig88daa Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

I recently got advised by somebody on the site to put a bottle cap of pure calcium in my leo's tank and to dust leos food with the calcium and vitamin mix. However, by simply sprinkling the Mealworms with the powder it doesn't stick at all, I also got advised to spinkle a little bit of water on them so the powder will stick. The powder didn't really stick well and all it done was make the worms really slugish and die really quick. The problem being my leo ain't touching nothing that isn't moving for his tea. Is there any other way of giving him some of this powder as he is a juevinile and i wont to make sure he develops well and is at maximum health,

Regards Craig.

craig88daa

Status Status : Finally got 'Chou' eating :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 83

Back to top Go down

Suplement Query. Empty Re: Suplement Query.

Post by gothicgurrrl Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Sorry it's not working for you with getting the calcium/vitamins to stick to the worms.. I was advised to do this when it wouldn't sick to my worms and it worked for me.

Before I used this method to get the calcium/vitamin powder on my morioworms, I was also worried that my leo wouldn't be getting enough vitamin D3 so I put a small amount of dusting powder (calcium/vitamin) inside her tank for a while.

You always need to leave the pure calcium in your leo's tank as it allows them to lap it up whenever they need it.

If none of those methods are working, then I've heard something about liquid calcium being used. One of our staff members, samsleopardgeckos, had used this product before so she will be able to answer all your question about that.
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by James Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:44 am

Perhaps try just wetting the rear end of the worm in water then dunking it into the calcium, thats what I do when I feed my leo mealies its a tad time consuming but it works Smile
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:27 am

I just spray a little water into a bottlecap, fill it with calcium/vitamin powder and stir it.. then i dab the worm in it slighty Very Happy or sometimes I get my spray bottle that i use for misting my giant land snail tank and spray the worm and then put it in the bottlecap of powder
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:07 am

Calcium powder does not stick well but you don't need to dust with calcium. Calcium without D3 is best left in the tank in a bottle cap or dish, and just allow your leopard gecko lick them when they want to.

For dusting it's best to use a multivitamin supplement such as Repashy Calcium Plus or Zoo Med's Reptivite. Both stick pretty well by using the "shake and bake" method. What you do is you place your feeders inside a sandwich ziploc bag, put some multivitamin powders inside, close it up, and shake it up well. They'll stick very well and you don't really need to make them coated full in supplement powders.

The supplement I mentioned come with D3 so you can control the amount of D3 intake by dusting only a few times a week. Captive raised leopard geckos do require some D3 so they can absorb calcium properly. You just don't want to overdose them, and you don't need to dust every single day either.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:30 pm

when i say calcium/vitamin.. i mean multivitamin dusting powder.. it includes vitamin D3 but also many other important vitamins/minerals.
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down