Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus...

+2
Kermit
rickmoss95
6 posters

Go down

Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... Empty Re: Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus...

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:54 am

what kind of food are you feeding your dogs? i am feeding my dog Blue, from the Blue Buffalo company, and there is NO other dog food that comes close to it. i have talked to three different dog nutritionalists, one in california who is supposedly the best there is, and all three of them told me that Blue is the best on the planet, and no offence, but it sounds rediculous to me that food that costs half that much can be any better than food that has been scientifically PROVEN to be the best food there is. i have researched this very tirelessly, and have found what they tell me is the truth. speculation and scientific PROOF are two totally different things to me. and i would bet money that your food has chicken or poultry BY~PRODUCTS... and corn, wheat or soy, which is PROVEN to trigger allergic reations in some dogs. Blue's ingredients are deboned chicken, brown rice, barley,oatmeal, whole carrots, sweet potatoes, peas,(and other all natural ingreds.) and they have blueberries and cranberries as antioxidants. they NEVER use poultry by~products as amost every other brand uses. plus most companies process their foods at temps of 350 degrees f and that alone will cook out the vits, antioxidants, and nutrients...up to 75% of the potency is lost in this process. Blue food is cold formed, so they retain all of their potency in this process. i could write a whole chapter on how Blue is the best dog food there is PERIOD. unless you are making your own dog food with pure all natural ingredients, there is no way ANY manufactured dog food is even close to Blue...and i challenge ANYONE to do the research and come out with a different answer! go to BlueBuff.com and see for yourself(and check other manufacturers sites and see their ingredients)...and call a real dog nutritionalist and see what they tell you...i have done literally hours and hours of research on dog food and dog nutrition, and nothing anyone can say will change the FACTS of what i have found. and if anyone is gonna research this, do so thouroughly and you will see the proof as plain as day, check the differences in CHICKEN MEAL, and chicken or poulty BY~PRODUCT MEAL(as almost all companies use, not Blue) and i think you will be surprised. i have been keeping dogs almost as long as i have reptiles, and i have talked to tons of breeders and dog nutritionists and the food you feed your dog will totally reflect on his health and overall life. there is no way i would feed my dog anything BUT Blue Buffalo foods. they also use NO fillers, which other companies can have up to 75% fillers and 25% actual useable nutrients...i know it sounds gross, but dog poop can actually tell you alot about their health. my dog poops half as much as he would if he was eating 75% fillers, and it would never be consistant. dogs should NEVER poop runny! and if your dog does, there is a good reason! all you have to do is look at my dogs, and the physical proof is right there in front of you... [img]Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... Reese_29[/img] so YES Kel, i will take your "pepsi challenge"!!!! but i already know the answers, so do some real research and i think you will see my point!

Last edited by rickmoss95 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... Empty Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus...

Post by Kermit Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:58 am

This needs to be split into a new thread if you really want to get into it... and by the way... Blue buffalo really is junk,with a LOT of money spent on advertising and bluffing with a pretty bag and misinformation to the public about canine dietary needs... every type of blue buffalo was on the petfood recalls of 2007 for melamine poisoning... they don't even use american made food products... all those ingredients your dog doesn't need how do you know what he's reacting to if he reacts badly... this is where it pays off to actually google some of the ingredients yourself isnted of trusting "nutritionists". Go back and ask them if they've ever heard of Dr. glickman at purdue veterinary university and his studies on higher fat versus higher protein diets and also his feast or famine, how should we feed our dogs paper.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... Empty Re: Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus...

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:09 am

i have done all the research that was needed, i have made my choice, and wisely so in my opinion...say what you will, but look at my dogs and the proof is right there...and if "BLUE BUFFALO really is junk"...i doubt my dogs would look as good and are as healthy as they are!!! and i also doubt people that have $3000 dogs(myself included) would feed them "junk", as well as some of the best breeders on the planet??? hmmm, doesnt make alot of sense to me...anyways, you still havent told me what kind of food you feed your dog, i am curious to see the ingredients of your "dollar a pound super food"...if i find it is better, ill switch!!!!!!!!!!! but i have my doubts. and i HAVE done alot of research on my own, and not just taken the nutritionalists word for it...
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:50 am

This is going to be a long reply so I'll have to get my info together. I was trying to find on a dog forum that I use to go to I had broken down the ingredients in blue buffalo before and proven just how bad it was. More ingredients doesn't mean better esp. when dog's system isn't designed to use such food items. Dogs are carnivores by nature and adding that much plant matter is only going to cause problems in the long run. Scientifically proven doesn't mean jack... all that means is that blue hired a rteam of scientists to "prove" their theory.... nothing more. Thru their advertising efforts they have madetheir product look quite appealing and all those $2000 breeders, like those who swear by purnia pro plan or science diet iams and eukanuba... all junk and all fell into the hype of the marketing departments of those food producers. Have you bothered to google any of the last dozen ingredients in blues's ingredient label?

Next there is nothing wrong with having corn in a food, if it is whole kernal corn, it is another protein source that is not meat based which is actually beneficial to your dog's health. Also if you don't think that blue is cooked, with their "cold formed" process you're wrong. ALL food has to be cooked to a certain temperature as per the AAFCO and FDA food processing regulations.

I'll write more later. Oh and the food I use is called 4 Health lamb and rice variety, available at tractor supply. All american made all american ingredients. Will NEVER be on a recall because of cheap third world marketing attempts at boosting protein readings with toxic materials such as melamine. Very simple ingredients list, fats and proteins exactly where they should be and not all that additional crap that doesn't do a bit of good.

Ingredients:
Lamb, lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, oatmeal, cracked pearled barley, ground rice, millet, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, natural flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 21.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 12.0%, Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min.) 2.2%, Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min.) 0.4%, Taurine* (min.) 0.1%, Moisture (max.) 10.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 4.0%, Glucosamine hydrochloride* (min.) 300 mg/kg, Zinc (min.) 150 mg/kg, Chondroitin sulfate* (min.) 100 mg/kg, Selenium (min.) 0.4 mg/kg, Vitamin E (min.) 150 IU/kg.
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profile.

Caloric Content:
3,506 kcal/kg (328 kcal/cup).

4 Health Dog Food (information provided by owner)

Only brand is 4 Health
Manufacture their own foods in specially designed kitchen.
Only supplier is Mountain People's Warehouse.
Meat is from a local USDA approved Butcher/meat packer.
Products do not contain gluten or rice protein.
Products are from one US supplier who does not import from outside the US
They do not private label for other companies
Privately owned company

Versus Blue:

Blue Buffalo (verified by company 3/27/07)
SOME PRODUCTS RECALLED. 4/19/07 & 4/26/07 See website for details
Brands include BLUE for dogs, and Spa Select for Cats
No products made by Menu Foods (have never used Menu)
Products do not contain wheat gluten, soy, or corn
All ingredients from US except lamb from New Zealand
Some products manufactured by CJ Foods (according to FDA website)
They do not manufacture food in their own facility. Manufacturer is confidential but they have their own vets and staff on location at all times and ingredients are tested before and after each run.
Editors note: According to Blue Buffalo website, some products contain rice protein concentrate.

If you want something that gives antioxidant qualities suppliment with milk thistle insted of adding all that processed food junk to their kibble like blueberries and cranberries (which they likely don't use the whole fruit anyway but the extruded matter) which there is likely so little of it barely has an impact on the health of your dog.

PS I need to know EXACTLY what variety of blue youre using before I can cut it apart Rick Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:49 am

Blue life protection formula(blue bag) chicken and brown rice. ingredients: (this is gonna suck to type,LOL) deboned chicken,chicken meal,whole ground brown rice,whole ground barley,oatmeal,chicken fat(naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols),rye,tomato pomace,natural chicken flavor,whole potatoes,whole carrots,whole sweet potatoes,peas,blueberries,cranberries,flaxseed(natural source of of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids)barley grass,dried parsley,garlic,alfalfa meal, dried kelp,yucca schidigera extract,L-carnitine,L-lysine, glucosomine hydrochloride,turmeric,sunflower oil,fish oil,dried chicory root,oil of rosemary,sh** this alot of typing,beta charotine,vitamin a supliment,thiamene mononitrate(vit b1),riboflavin(vit b2),niacin(vitb3),d-calcium panthothenate(vit b5),pyridoxine hydrochloride(vit b6),biotin(vit b7)folic acid(b9),vitamin b12 suppliment, calcium ascorbate(vit c)vit d3 suppliment,vit E suppliment,iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate,copper amino acid chelate,choline chloride,sodium selenite,calcuim lodate,salt,caramel,potassium chloride,saccharomyces,cerrevisiae,lactobacillis acidophilus, basillus subtilis, enterococcus faecium.
guaranteed analysis
crude protien 24.0% min
crude fat 14.0% min
crude fiber 4.0% max
moisture 10.0% max
calcium 1.0% min
phosphorus 0.9% nim
omega 3 fatty acids 0.3% min
omega 6 fatty acid 3.5% min
beta carotine 5.0 mg/kg min
glucosomene 40 mg/kg min
.............aaaaaaaaaaaaand holy crap that was alot of typing! phew!!! if you can seriously show me your food is better Kel, as i said,ill switch!!! i want proof though, and will do the research...but you obviously know what you are doing and saying, i have never doubted that...but i have done tons of research on blue against all kinds of foods and switched from nutro a while back. i have not heard of your brand of food and will check it out. please continue this conversation with me as i want to know more about your thoughts about this...and if i am wrong, i will gladly admit it and use the best food that is out there...and if it is cheaper, that will also be a bonus!! so show me the light!!! i am curious to this food you use! please retort! and thank you!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 am

i see alot of the same ingredients in both foods. but i dont get where you are calling blueberries and cranberries "junk"....? it is obvious to me that you have an issue with Blue foods, but i just dont see how you can say it is "junk" other than your personal issues, i could see it if they were using crap ingredient or a bunch of sugars and starches...but how is it junk??? and i can agree about dogs being carnivorous...in the wild, or a hundred thousand years ago before the were domesticated, but they evolve just like everything else, so i think there is alot of value out of some vegatable matter in their diet, actually, it has been PROVEN...just sayin.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:34 am

Dogs evolve BEHAVIOR not genetic programming hon. They are and will always be carnivores and that will never change regardless of all the tofu and veggies you feed them. They are only 6 genomes removed from the wild wolf genetically and even less for nordic breeds such as huskies and malamutes are more like 3 genomes removed. You can't fight primitive genetics and DNA doesn't evolve because you domesticate an animal.

I will include my retort on the dog food as soon as I can as it will be a lengthy answer and I don't have that much time now sorry. and what kind of "Proof" are you looking for? Obviiously the word of 3 nutritionists and Blue's science department was convincing for you, what would you like me to provide for "proof"?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 am

rickmoss95 wrote:i see alot of the same ingredients in both foods. but i dont get where you are calling blueberries and cranberries "junk"....? it is obvious to me that you have an issue with Blue foods, but i just dont see how you can say it is "junk" .

Not that i know anything of this issue, but surely different animals and species have different food type's which are classed as 'Junk' ...
We class sugar and crisps as junk, but to a dog, blueberries might be junk.

...maybe... lol
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 am

What I term "junk" is stuff that manufacturers put in there to make the food more appealing to US rather than a necessity for our dogs that can actually do more harm than good in the long run. Stuff like "chicken flavor" if its a chicken based food then why do you need to add chicken flavor?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:12 am

for one..if you would have read my other posts COMPLETELY you would have read that i have done my own research...and not just taken the word of the three nutritionists i have talked to...and obviously i will do research on your food. the proof i seek is simply to show me or explain to me how the different ingredients in your food are superior over the food i use...and tell me which ingredients in my food may be harmful to my dogs, that is all the proof i am asking for. should be pretty simple to do if you are correct, facts are facts.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:52 pm

whew rick.. please hit the enter button sometimes when you are talking I get lost in the wall of text! =)

Personally my favorite dog food was always Nutro Natural Choice, small bites. I used to pay about 30$ a bag. I tried Science Diet, Iams... etc etc but they didn't work out. One dog always didn't like it or would puke.. natural choice worked out for all 3 dogs that I had.

I used to have a pitbull also that passed away a few years ago and seeing yours... oh wow I am in love. He is stunning!

Here's mine with her bestest friend, may they both rest in peace:
Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... Snugglebunnies2
Leesah
Leesah

LGF Points LGF Points : 135

Back to top Go down

Post by Hexclover Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:59 pm

wow leesah your dog looks exactly like mine... shes a pitt bull x boxer! heres a few pictures of her

she was about 2 years old in this one!
Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... Momo

then this past x-mas with my girl friend
Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... P1010100

than me and her at the doggie beach
Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... 2011-03-22_14-32-06_124
Hexclover
Hexclover

LGF Points LGF Points : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Some of the guiness book of world records - or were, I am not up to date on this just remember watching the show back in the day - for oldest cats/dogs was ones where the owner fed them actual food.. no processed bags of stuff. He made breakfast for himself and his pets ate the same thing as him.. even coffee and he specified how much cream each cat liked in their coffee... etc etc. He had like one at 26, 24 and 22.

Not saying I would recommend giving your dog coffee but I think you see my point. Any nutritionist I am sure would argue that a pet shouldn't be eating the meals of a human.. but clearly he was doing something right when he didn't have just one at that abnormal age but 3 of them. As long as nothing stupid is being done like feeding them chunks of chocolate for desert Nodding

Wow Hex yes they do look a lot alike... very beautiful =)
I'd snatch her up in a heartbeat! I love you
Leesah
Leesah

LGF Points LGF Points : 135

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:34 am

I currently feed Hill's Science Diet. Two seperate vets recommended it, one being Oklahoma State University vet teaching hospital. With their reputation as being the #1 vet school in the world I can't argue with them. Kyriss seems to be growing like a weed on their Puppy Large Breed formula.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:19 am

well after MUCH MORE studying and research, i have decided to go with a raw meat diet. i talked with brock at mrpitbull.com(where my dog came from) and decided to go this route! he told me about it when i got my pup, but honestly, i was a little intimidated by it, just sounded overwhealming to me. after our discussion, i have decided to go this route! i actually was feeding Nutro before i switched to Blue....it is good food too, but i dont think anything can be better than the raw diet that has been outlined for me. if anyone has any questions or concerns about it, go to mr.pitbull.com and read about it please, i dont wish to get into another debate about this, although the last one was not in any way negative for me, it actually caused me to look at all the little details of my choices, and thus decided to give the raw diet.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:23 am

Don't worry Rick, there was nothing negative or wrong about the above debate.
Opposing discussion are fine Smile We've been there!

Good to see you back! Missed ya craziness a little haha. Smile
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:44 am

yeah, ive been pretty busy the past week and a half. been hitting it pretty hard in the new GECKO room! even put some boys in with some girls and have some breeding goin down Dog Food COmparisions, Blue Versus... 800892966 i have my incubators all set up now and im getting reaky for a roach collony and a new setup for my mealies...phew, busy busy.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am

Well best of luck going raw... I don't aree with the raw diet, I think it is way too high in protein for most non-working dogs so be prepared to have to exercise your pit a lot more. For every 10.5 in protein you ned an hours physical exertion or a half hr serious mental stimulation to burn off that proten. Interesting article written by a dr glickman, purdue veterinary university I believe where he compared the higher fats versus higher protein in diets. Might be worth a google. Every muscle group in the body is designed to burn proteins derived from fat sources whereas only select muscle groups are designed to use proteins derived from a whole meat source was one of his findings.

If you really think raw is the way you want to go I can referr you to a really good pit forum I know where several members feed raw. It has a pretty extensive forum devoted just for raw feeders (including pictures). I think deciding to go raw requires a lot more than the imput of 1 breeder honestly.

So again, best of luck.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:10 am

i am aware of all that kel, i have talked to some others but i would love the link to the forum you are talking about. i know that it is VERY extensive and i still have some research to do, but i am pretty sure that i am gonna try this out...but nothing is set in stone at this point, and thanks! check out mrpitbulls site, it is not ONLY raw meat...i am not going to try to explain it here, just have a look and please tell me your thoughts after you read it...
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 am

...and i am gonna check out the stuff by dr.glickman! ide be an arrogant idiot if i didnt! lol
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 am

Ill pm it to you Rick or you can get there thru smiling pitbull rescues web page.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:41 am

awesome Kel, big THANKS!!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down