Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i need advice

+4
Jordan
smsararas2
samsleopardgeckos
lplews
8 posters

Go down

i need advice Empty i need advice

Post by lplews Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:59 am

hi all. i am new to this so i hope some of you can help. i have two female leopard geckos. one normal and one supa hypo carrot tail. they are both sisters and two years old around october. the normal gecko is fine. nice big girl and weighs 42g. the supa hypo girl is very small. only 27g!!!!! i have just got a male to have a go at breeding but now think she is way too small. my male weighs 57g so nice healthy lad. the females wernt been looked after properly when i got them and have been led to believe that her sister bullied her for food. (i have Never seen this. both eat really well.) i am currently feeding them on crickets and mealworms. any advice on how to fatten her up in a healthy way or if she is just a small girl.
hope someone can help

lplews

LGF Points LGF Points : 46

Back to top Go down

i need advice Empty Re: i need advice

Post by samsleopardgeckos Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:08 am

Hiya and welcome to the forum.
Yes the female is way too small and it would not be advisable to the male in with her and some will say your 42g female is also slightly under weight for breeding as most breeders use leo's 45g+ .
Most of us feeding wise only feed mealworms or super worms and use waxworms as treat as they have a high fat content but can be addictive for the leo's. the best thing to do might be to seperate the smaller female to make sure she is getting all the food she needs. There is also the possiblity that she is a slow grower and you wont be able to speed things up.
Does she look healthy for her 27g?
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by lplews Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:15 am

Yeah she looks healthy and eats really well. She's pooing and shedding fine. She's very active

lplews

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:19 am

bless her she may just be stunted in growth from the poor care of her previous owner.
you could try giving her some wax worms as treat every week to see if they get her to put on some weight but only give her a couple a week or she might stop eating everything else you offer her
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:33 am

Yes that definetly seems quite small, especially for breeding. Hopefully you can get her eating well and putting on some weight. I had a rescue male that weighed only 23g when I got him. He needed some antibiotics to clear up an infection before he started to gain weight. Hope she starts gaining soon for you.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:45 am

yeah the leos both need to be over 50g before being bred.

You ought to be careful not to jump into breeding too early for yourself too. When your leo's are ready, make sure your ready too thumbs up
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lplews Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:05 am

Thanks guys. I've already separated the male. She's a lovely little girl. Hopefully shell be ok.

lplews

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 am

She should be fine with a healthy appetite and supplimentation. Would you mind copy/pasting our care questionaire into this thread (found in the health section as a sticky). This way we can also make sure all the other husbandry needs are spot on for her to thrive. Usually even if growth is stuntd thru ill care after proper husbandry iis employed they should reach their genetically programmed potential, it'll just take a lil longer.

Welcome to the forum, we'd love to see pix of your collection when you have a chance Very Happy
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:04 am

as long as she is eating and everything else seems fine, the best thing you can do for your leopards, is be patient!! she will grow to a nice healthy female as long as her husbandry and feeding reigims are proper. make sure they are all getting a vitamin powder once a week(dust the feeders) and calcium about every other feeding(also dusted). most keepers also keep a cap of raw calcuim in their enclosures as well, i do. there is quite a debate about calcium with vitamin D3 and without...some people seem to think they can overdose their leopard with D3, but i personally think that it would take WAY more D3 than you can give a leopard via normal feeding and a calcium bowl. there are alot of knowledgable people on this forum so ask any questions you feel you need. we are all here to help, and welcome to the forum!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:57 pm

could post pictures also

It's usually easy to tell from sight if they are under-nourished.. yes?

(smack my hand with a ruler if I am wrong)
I am not up to giving veteran advice but usually I can tell by their tail and if their spine shows.. definitely get worried then.
Leesah
Leesah

LGF Points LGF Points : 135

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:00 pm

you are absolutely correct Leesah!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by lplews Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:19 pm

I will post some pics tomorrow for you. Her tail looks fine for her size and I can't see her spine. I'll let you have a look when I put photos up. Ull probably know what to look for. Any advice is welcome. Even if it's criticism. I want the best for my babies. I dust their food and also have a calcium dish in there. Also what is your opinion on uv lights. I feel they need them as in their natural habitat they get it but my local reptile shop says it's no neccercety?

lplews

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:42 pm

nothing to add
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Status Status : Hello!
LGF Points LGF Points : 374

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:53 pm

It is not necessary for them to be in a natural habitat. As a breeder some of mine are kept in sweater boxes with a plastic hide and kept on paper towel. As for the light, it is not a good idea. It will stress out your leo and since they are crepsecular(most active in the evening and early early morning) they have no need for extra light.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:57 pm

I agree with Jolene. No light just a couple hides, heat mat, calcium food and water dishes and a good substrate in a nicely sized box. (Of course that's only the basics...)
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Status Status : Hello!
LGF Points LGF Points : 374

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down