Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help

4 posters

Go down

Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help  Empty Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help

Post by Noble Sun May 22, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it go's. I got my first gecko today from a add on cragslist.The lady said it was a boy, he is about 5-6 inches. It came with his 10 gallon tank two hides and a water dish. The sub was bark and very dirty, and he is very skinny . I cleaned all the bark out washed the tank very good and I'm using paper towels now for my sub. I gave him 2 crickets last night and about 11 millworms today, he ate no issue, and I cut a glad box up and put eco earth in it for a moist hide. The other two hides are sokeing overnight they were very dirty. I put a heat pad on the bottem of his tank. He came with a heat rock but what i have read about them im think i should just throw it out. I got some flux cricket feed to gut load the others and some calcium powder. What eles can I do or fix what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for reading this and any feedback would be amazing!
Noble
Noble

LGF Points LGF Points : 82

Back to top Go down

Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help  Empty Re: Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun May 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Heyy Smile
It's sounds like you're doing a really good job already.

And I would recommend that you do throw that heat rock away.. I don't know what other members think of them.. but I think they are dangerous and shouldn't be used.

We have a leopard gecko caresheet on the forum that is really useful.. tells you everything you need to know about housing them.. but it seems you already know quite abit Smile keep up the good work :P

And that's great that he is eating! You should be able to fatten him up in no time lol
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help  Empty Re: Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help

Post by Noble Mon May 23, 2011 4:39 am

Thank you very much! I will toss out that heat rock asap.
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Mon May 23, 2011 5:05 am

Smile no problems,
thankyou Very Happy
I would love see some photos of your new leo Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Mon May 23, 2011 6:09 am

You don't necessarily have to throw out the heat rock. You can cut the cord off and use it as an ornament since its something he's use to it might be comforting to him as he settles in. Ya know... a bit of the famillar...

Also you make no mention of how you're monitoring temps and what his temps are. If you could please post that. Since your leo s eating crix and mealies you may want to weanhim off the crix and go with an all worm diet. Crix can carry prasites that can infect your leo. You can get a variety of worms from mealworms to superworms (morioworms) butter and wax worms as ell to provide optimum nutrition. Supers may be a better choice since he's 6y inches long and eating a ton of mealies. Heks likely only need 5 supers at most. Maybe check the sticky in the feeding section supers versus mealies. You don't need to buy commericial gutload. Fresh veggie scraps provide all the gutload you need for free. Make sure you're using a good supplimet at least evey other feeding. I prefer the in one supiments like repashy calcium plus icb or t-rex leopard gecko dust by sandfire foods. Pretty foolproo f and. No need for seprate calcium and d3.

Lastly you might want 3 hides. Hot side cool side and the moist hide should actually be kind of warm so if you could place that to heat atleast partially that would help. Oh and no lights on the viv. You dont need a basking or red heat light if your temps arre fine without them.

So welcome to the forum... Smile if ya have any other questions just ask... remember the only stupid question is the one never asked.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Kermit thanks I haft to get a theomoniter tomorrow for him when I get some more millworms, I was going to get a digital one and pick up a heat lamp with a red or purple light so I can see him at night and to help with the temp, and some moss for his humid hide I put Eco earth in it right now but I want to change it out. I picked up a lizard hammock and put it on the warm side one corner is close to the ground sp he can climb on it but he dose not seam in to it:/. the caresheet you guys have on here is awesome!

Gothicgurrrl here you go Smile I'll get some body shots and his home tomorrow
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Mon May 23, 2011 9:33 pm

[img]Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help  Cff08490[/img]

[img]Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help  463ea96a[/img]
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 pm

I have one of those exo terra hammocks, its a strange thing for a reptile, but eventually they start to like it, and i often find them sleeping on it. Its very cute haha.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Noble Tue May 24, 2011 6:47 am

Thanks Jordon that makesme feel better Smile

[img]Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help  23faf062[/img]

[img]Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help  9c74151e[/img]

And what I'm working withso far on his cage
[img]Just saved my Leo from craigslist need help  6ceadd9f[/img]
Noble
Noble

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down