Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Leo finally arrived!

4 posters

Go down

New Leo finally arrived! Empty New Leo finally arrived!

Post by BlameItOnBeingGemini Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 am

Hey guys! I'm back! Slapping head
I just got it yesterday, still haven't decided on a name recomondations are welcome! Wink
anyone?
It's a cutie! And already a bit of a brat! Haha, we were on our way home and I took off the lid of the little cup he came in, because it didn't look like it let enough air through, and we were about a half an hour away from home and I felt something crawling on my arm, so I screamed cause I'm like oh censored , the mealies got out, my moms going to murder me, and when I look down he's crawling on my arm smiling up at me. Rolling Eyes
Almost gave me a heartattack, but it's all good now thumbs up
It only stays in a corner of his aqurium... should I be worried about that, or is that normal?
I feed it three mealworms (they were out of crikets, I'll be getting crikets soon) three times a day, at 7:30am, 4:00pm, and 9:00pm am I feeding it to much, or too little?
Hmmm... I think that's about it... Anywhos I'll get pictures in about a week after he's had time to adjust and I start handling him a bit more. Very Happy
BlameItOnBeingGemini
BlameItOnBeingGemini

Status Status : Check Out my Post! <3
LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

New Leo finally arrived! Empty Re: New Leo finally arrived!

Post by ThyUnholy Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 am

Depends how old/big he is to know how much to feed him, but to start off that should be fine. I think my leo is almost an adult and I give him 10-15 a day in the morning. He won't over eat because sometimes he won't even eat the full 15.

Mealworms are fine as a staple as long you dust with calcium. I dust mealworms with pure calcium without d3 every other day, starting Sunday, and dust with vitamin d3 on Saturdays and dusting Sundays with the pure calcium and just keep the cycle like that.

I'm also breeding my mealworms because they are way cheaper to take care of a bunch instead of having to buy a feeder from the store once or twice a week.

Thinking about ordering some supers and dubia roaches, breeding those, then I'll have a good variety for my gecko.

I don't like crickets because they cost a lot if not breeding, if you are breeding they are noisy and smell, they can potentially bite your gecko, it was just too much for me. If I had to deal with crickets, I honestly wouldn't have gotten my leopard gecko.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Status Status : Gecko has some good colors coming in.
LGF Points LGF Points : 345

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 am

A gecko will only ever over eat once, just offer food until he stops going for it.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 am

lol funny story about the gecko crawling on you Smile

It's perfectly normal for a new gecko to stay shy for awhile, they still need to get used to the new environment and of course you.

It's hard to recommend how much to feed the gecko without seeing how large the gecko is and how large of mealworms you are feeding it. But 3 mealworms per serving 3 times a day is fine. For convenience purposes you could cut that down to 2 times a day and 5 mealworms per serving and it should still be fine. You'll eventually get a feel about how much your gecko wants to eat.

Make sure to read up on proper husbandry so you have the temperature setup correctly (90-95 degrees floor temperature on the hot side), and have the proper hides for the gecko. Also if you don't have a multivitamin supplement yet, make sure to purchase one. Popular brands such as Repashy Calcium Plus or Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 are both great all-in-one supplements. For a young gecko you want to dust once a day with the multivitamin supplements, and slowly go to every other day as the gecko gets older. Multivitamin is very important to supplement your gecko's nutritional needs.

Anyways congrats on your new gecko, fun times thumbs up 2
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down