Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gecko sleeps 24/7

+5
tdedolph
strech
Kermit
ThyUnholy
hpoquiz
9 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Gecko sleeps 24/7 - Page 2 Empty Re: Gecko sleeps 24/7

Post by hpoquiz Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi guys! Today when i woke up i saw a poop in my tank. Its small white and black together + solid. Is it normal ?
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 292

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Tdedolph that tank is too small and too plain. Buy a bigger one and get some decorations. He don't fit in that moist hide and what is the clear thing in the middle for?

Wait I'm confused. You showed 2 pics? I meant the one with the paper towels.

peach75
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by tdedolph Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:37 am

peach75 wrote:Tdedolph that tank is too small and too plain. Buy a bigger one and get some decorations. He don't fit in that moist hide and what is the clear thing in the middle for?

Both pictures have paper towels, you're probably looking at the 2nd one. In that picture I had the contents of the moist hide removed (the square hide) for reasons mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I also took the plant out that was shown in the first picture to show the the arrangement of the hides.

As for your suggestion on getting a new set up, I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you. 10 gallons is the minimum tank size for 1 adult leo. He fits in all of his hides perfectly fine, and I happen to think the amount of decoration in his tank looks good and is functional. Although I agree that he would love a larger tank, I don't think I necessarily need to get one right now.

Last edited by tdedolph on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : just fixed some spelling :))
tdedolph
tdedolph

LGF Points LGF Points : 156

Back to top Go down

Post by tdedolph Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:48 am

hpoquiz wrote:Hi guys! Today when i woke up i saw a poop in my tank. Its small white and black together + solid. Is it normal ?

A solid poop is generally ok, just as long as it's not runny or accompanied by a lot of water. And I'm a little bit confused by your description- are you saying that half is black and half is white? There is also a poop sticky if you want to see some poops Wink

*Edit: Didn't realize you found the poop sticky! You will definitely get some input on your leo's poop there Smile
tdedolph
tdedolph

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:31 am

UV lighting is not recommended for leopard geckos unless it is prescribed by a vet in a treatment course for a leo that has MBD. Leos are crepuscular creatures and generally will not seek out and bask under uv lighting, plus the light output from the bulb is generally too harsh for most leos to tolerate well, esp. albino leos. Simply dust your feeders once or twice a week with D3 depending on the leos age, gutload your feeders with food high in vit. D, and leave pure calcium in the viv if you are not using an all in 1 suppliment.

Also a pic of the poo (hopefully you left one i the poop thread) would be helpful. Dark poo can sometimes be an indicator of internal bleeding if it is streaked with blood or exceptionally dark. I don't want to alarm you about that, just a note that dark poo isn't always "normal", but sometimes also a leo that has been off food for a while can produce darker stools because of nutritional inbalance and improper GI flora in the digestive tract.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:46 am

Here is the picture and she havent eaten any of the foods in her dish yet o.o Gecko sleeps 24/7 - Page 2 421236_2659130811673_1658007823_2106965_1360451628_n
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:56 pm

5th night now of my Leopard Gecko. I'm worried that she havent eaten a single thing yet but pooped today. The breeder told me the gecko eats superworms most of the time but how come she doesnt eat any food in her dish.
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by tdedolph Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:13 pm

She is most likely not eating because she's still adjusting to her new home. Keep providing her with food, but mostly give her the proper heating, good places to hide, and leave her alone for a few days (don't handle her, and try to keep the room where she is quiet). It will take time for her to become comfortable and eat, but it will help her so much if she gets the right floor temps and hides.
tdedolph
tdedolph

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Ok i got the Digital thermo my heating is kinda going up and down coz i lock my room and heat gets clogged in + i have a heater in my room too. My temperature ranges 88 - 97F on air its 85F.
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by tdedolph Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Great Smile but now you need to regulate those floor temps. If you get a thermostat, you can set the temperature and it will adjust based on your room temp to heat the floor to the temperature you specified. 88 is a bit too cold, while 97 is a bit too hot, and the fluctuations in temp will stress out your leo. I know leos can be a lot of work at first. I listened to the guy at the pet store when I bought my stuff and I basically had to throw everything away and buy it all over again to get the right stuff. Once you get those temps right and everything set up, caring for your leo will be a lot easier and more fun Smile
tdedolph
tdedolph

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 pm

How does a thermostat work ? Does it say the temperature there and ill just set it on that temp ?
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:51 pm

A thermostat basically shuts off your UTH when it reaches the desired temp that you set it for. Then will turn the UTH back on when it drops down about 2 degrees.
So say you set it for 95, when the probe reads 95 it turns off the UTH, then when the probe reads 94 it turn the UTH back on. So no more worrying about checking the temps every 5 minutes.

Edit: Here is a nice thermostat at a good price. http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Digital-Thermostat-Heat/dp/B000NZZG3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331095948&sr=8-1
Pinned27
Pinned27

LGF Points LGF Points : 216

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:30 am

I just got home and i saw my gecko pooped again but only a white one. She have not eaten a single worm since the day i got her which is last friday and this is the 2nd time she pooped but without the black poop this one. Any suggestion what should i do ?
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:33 am

I'm pretty sure she will eat one if she is hungry enough but maybe you should try a different feeder.

A couple questions, What kind of worm? Do they move a lot? Have you tried putting the worm right in front of her to get her attention?
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Status Status : Gecko has some good colors coming in.
LGF Points LGF Points : 345

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:35 am

I tried that putting worms(Meal,Super) in front of her. She just looks at them and looks somewhere else i might get crickets by tommorow if she doesnt eat anything tonight.
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:44 am

Have you tried leaving the worms in a dish that they cannot climb out of overnight? She might want to eat them alone.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:49 am

I do 24/7 worms on dish
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by ThyUnholy Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:51 am

Do they move around that much? My leo will ignore the ones that don't move around.
ThyUnholy
ThyUnholy
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 am

i guess ill get crickets. i know she wants to eat coz whenever i get up in the morning his out and roaming around.
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by tdedolph Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Variety is great in a leo's diet, so rotating between crickets and supers is a good idea for your leo.

Personally, I would say get the thermostat and all the right hides and then see if she will eat the supers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you still have just 2 hides? If not, then awesome Smile but housing issues are the most important things to get sorted out. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why she isn't eating is because she is still stressed. With regular temps and many places to hide she will be happy Very Happy
tdedolph
tdedolph

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 pm

2 hides currently lol. I got crickets today ill try to feed later Smile best of luck to me! Smile
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by tdedolph Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Good luck with the crickets, I hope she eats!

Oh, you can use A LOT of house hold items for hides if money is a concern for you. I have a cream cheese container in my leo's cage in case you didn't notice Razz Tupperware works out really well, and so do old food containers that have been washed out. As long as they are clean and don't have sharp edges your leo will not mind Smile
tdedolph
tdedolph

Back to top Go down

Post by hpoquiz Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Got tupperware too lol and another made hide. I just tried feeding him crickets she just ignored it.

Added a full calcium is hit tank too Smile
hpoquiz
hpoquiz

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:33 pm

tdedolph wrote:
peach75 wrote:Tdedolph that tank is too small and too plain. Buy a bigger one and get some decorations. He don't fit in that moist hide and what is the clear thing in the middle for?

Both pictures have paper towels, you're probably looking at the 2nd one. In that picture I had the contents of the moist hide removed (the square hide) for reasons mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I also took the plant out that was shown in the first picture to show the the arrangement of the hides.

As for your suggestion on getting a new set up, I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you. 10 gallons is the minimum tank size for 1 adult leo. He fits in all of his hides perfectly fine, and I happen to think the amount of decoration in his tank looks good and is functional. Although I agree that he would love a larger tank, I don't think I necessarily need to get one right now.

Believe me it's too small. 10 gallons out outdated. Nobody uses 10 gallons anymore. you can't get good temps and decor in it.

peach75
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by tdedolph Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 pm

peach75 thanks for the concern but my tank is fine and my temperatures are exactly what they're supposed to be.
tdedolph
tdedolph

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next