Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

refuses food

2 posters

Go down

refuses food Empty refuses food

Post by babs_boutilier Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:38 am

just wondering how long it is safe for a gecko to go without eating...my female is refusing food...I have tried everything I can think of. just about 2 weeks ago she went through an eating like crazy spell....now it has been a few days and she won't take not one...at what point should I concern myself

babs_boutilier

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 62

Back to top Go down

refuses food Empty Re: refuses food

Post by Mardy Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:41 am

How old is the female? Is she ovulating? It's the start of the breeding season, females will often go off food while they are ovulating.

Also if you haven't weighed her, it helps to track their weight. Rapid weight loss usually means something's wrong, like a parasites infection or the gecko is ill. Those will require vet care & fecal exam. If she's not losing weight, then chances are she's getting into ovulation cycle and it's normal for her to stop eating off and on.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by babs_boutilier Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 am

she is 2 years old...not sure of her weight...she's not looking like she is loosing weight..yet anyway!!! I guess I will have to monitor this...I have tried to view her using a flashlight...I don't see any changes

babs_boutilier

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 am

Look at her belly for pink dots/bulges, that would mean she's ovulating and you shouldn't have to worry about her going off food. You can view her belly pretty easily by putting her in a clear container/bowl, and just look from the under side.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down