Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how do you know if your female has eggs growing

3 posters

Go down

how do you know if your female has eggs growing Empty how do you know if your female has eggs growing

Post by babs_boutilier Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:59 am

i have read that a female can lay eggs even if they haven't been fertalized...when should you start to see any eggs at all? i have looked.over our female and didn't notice any eggs forming. i have checked and made sure that she is female and our other leo is a male. are there any signs you can look for to show that maybe she might be carring eggs...or signs that she might be getting ready to lay??? I haven't witnessed any of this yet and wanted to know if there is something i should look for...Thanks for any info

babs_boutilier

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 62

Back to top Go down

how do you know if your female has eggs growing Empty Re: how do you know if your female has eggs growing

Post by LVMikal Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:05 am

Just giving my input as I had three females, all too young to lay eggs I assumed, and mixed in a male. Not sure if coincidence that the male got there just as one female was ready to lay infertile eggs, or if he was just that quick, but just less than three weeks later, out came my first pair of gecko eggs.

Sign I'd look for, rapid weight gain. She was getting real heavy, and it should have been obvious (but I missed it). Looked under her belly, and you could see the eggs if you looked close enough, one on either side of the stomache, but her's weren't obvious enough, so I passed these off as organs being as how the male had barely been introduced.

Also, they started burning through my calcium dish pretty quickly, and I'm positive it was her.

LVMikal

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 59

Back to top Go down

how do you know if your female has eggs growing Empty Re: how do you know if your female has eggs growing

Post by Mardy Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:11 am

They'll stop eating usually within a week of laying. Their belly will bulge and it can be pretty obvious if you know how they look like normally.

For pics, check out vmsherp's guide.

There won't be eggs without ovulation, so if your females haven't ovulated yet, you don't have to worry about eggs developing. Ovulating females usually have pink bulges or dots on their belly, they are egg follicles. To see what they look like check the link above.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down