Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gecko playing?

3 posters

Go down

Gecko playing? Empty Gecko playing?

Post by KillerKlown Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:22 am

Hi all. I've hady gecko for a little over two weeks. I used to have a fake turf substrate. I also have a laser aiming thermo gun to check floor temps. When I first used it she paid no attention. Since a overhall of her viv at the weekend she now does. I changed the fake turf with peel and stick vinal tiles. When I used my thermo gun just now she was chasing the lazer round the viv, like cats do if u play with them with a laser. My question is, do you think she's likes it and is playing? Or sees it as a threat and chases it? She was doing it for a min or so chasing it over her hides etc. just don't want to keep doing it if it'll stress her out. What do u think?

Last edited by KillerKlown on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

KillerKlown

Status Status : Randomly being random
LGF Points LGF Points : 287

Back to top Go down

Gecko playing? Empty Re: Gecko playing?

Post by Kermit Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:40 am

I think you should edit your post and fix your spelling mistakes so others can understand what youre trying to say, and your leo is likely having her prey drive triggered. She probably thinks the mysterious red dot is some sort of food since its randomly moving. In my opinion leos don't play, they're primitive creatures that operate on basic programming, hunt, reproduce, territory. Only higher mammals such as canine and feline "play" and at that it its when they are young to learn hunt/kill techniques and mock combat to learn well, how to fight and defend themselves. I don't think it'll stress your leo perse, but after a while they'll learn it is a futile effort that garners no reward, only frustration, and they will stop chasing it.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:41 am

She sees it as prey and is trying to catch it to eat it. Do I think it's stressful if you do it every once in awhile? Probably not, just don't let her bump into anything or fall off something.

But if she's chasing it, it probably also means she's hungry. So give her some grubs Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KillerKlown Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:06 am

Cheers Kermit/mardy. @ Kermit, Its my stupid I phones auto correct. Mardy, she's due her feed tonight. So hopefully she'll eat well. Point taken and edited.

KillerKlown

Status Status : Randomly being random
LGF Points LGF Points : 287

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks hon, I know writing with swype can be a pain, I usually have to edit my threads a couple times and re read them a few to make sure swype didn't screw me up Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down