Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small Pet Tech Boulder Cave Review

4 posters

Go down

Small Pet Tech Boulder Cave Review Empty Small Pet Tech Boulder Cave Review

Post by Tsuhei Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Small Pet Tech Boulder Cave

The Pet Tech Boulder Cave is definitely a favorite in my list of items for review! I use this fake rock hide for my Sunglow APTOR het RAPTOR juvenile female leopard gecko on the hot side of the tank. The Boulder Cave comes in three different sizes, but I’ll be focusing on the smallest size for this review.

Small Pet Tech Boulder Cave Review Dscn1701lSmall Pet Tech Boulder Cave Review 4066

The dimensions of the hide is approximately 5.5 inches long x 5 inches wide x 3.5 inches tall and comes in a variety of different colors (I purchased mine at a reptile expo in red since it is my favorite color) for an affordable price of $7.59 for a small cave (which can be found on LLL Reptile’s website). I’m not sure if you can request a different color other than the gray color featured on the website, but it is definitely worth a shot!

There are several reasons why I truly love this hide. First, the size of the hide is big enough to last a leopard gecko all the way through adulthood. The low 1 3/8 inch tall entrance and snug, dark interior will make any size gecko feel secure. The little entrance might seem to be too low, but it’s high enough for a gecko to squeeze under without a problem.

Secondly, I really like the rough texture to the outside of the hide. It’s not too rough, but it’s textured enough to assist with shedding. Plus, it doubles as a jungle gym for your gecko since it’s fairly easy to climb up, around, and behind the hide. The inside of the hide, however, is smoother than the outside surface.

Thirdly, since I keep this on the warm side of the tank, it holds heat surprisingly well. The interior of the cave floor stays at a very comfortable 92ºF with an exterior hide temperature of approximately 83ºF. I’d say it’s pretty obvious why my little gecko loves this hide so much!

What doesn’t settle as well with me about the Pet Tech Boulder Cave is that it’s really light (216 grams). This item might be easily moved around if a leopard gecko rubbed against it while shedding. Since I keep this hide wedged firmly between the moist hide and the tank wall, it hasn’t been a problem for me, but it is certainly something to consider when purchasing a new piece of décor since it can be a safety hazard.

Also, even though it’s a plus that the item is lightweight, it makes it a real pain in the behind to clean. I personally like to soak my tank decorations in a tub full of diluted bleach water. Guess what decides to float to the top? (Yes, it’s this hide!) I’ve been able to clean it decently by using a porcelain food dish to keep it weighted down for soaking, but it still manages to escape the dish’s weight some way or another and float back up to the top of the tub.

Still on the cleaning topic, I’ve found that this hide holds smells very well (not like that’s a compliment!). My leopard gecko has taken a fancy to defecating inside of this hide since it’s so nice and secure. I find myself washing this hide at least every other day with diluted bleach solution and diluted vinegar solution before finally rinsing it off. Even with the excessive 3-wash steps I take to keep things smelling fresh, sometimes it just isn’t enough to get the smell of digested mealworms out of the porous-looking surface (the hide isn’t porous, though).

Another problem I face with this hide is when feeding time comes around. I generally let mealworms crawl unknowingly to their fate into the dreaded dweller of the red cave’s mouth. However, some mealworms are smart enough to climb up the semi-smooth surface of the hide’s walls and cling for dear life. Not only does it deceive my little gecko, but it’s a real pain in the butt to keep catching the smart mealworms at their game, which in turn delays my feeding schedule. If someone were to be careless and let the feeders crawl around the hide without paying attention, you might have a mealworm or cricket stowaway that might decide to nibble on the unsuspecting reptile in the middle of the night. So, when feeding an overly cautious gecko in this hide, keep an eye on where the feeder ends up or else you might find a nasty surprise later.

So there is a word of warning with this hide: if you’re prepared to sanitize this item longer than the usual resin hide you can buy at Petco or Petsmart, then definitely buy this item. It looks strikingly realistic for a fake rock item and is very versatile for a leopard gecko tank.

This item is definitely a permanent piece of décor in my leopard gecko’s tank, regardless of the stink!

Overall Score: 7 out of 10

By: Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Tsuhei
Review Staff

Status Status : His name is Typhon!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1733

Back to top Go down

Small Pet Tech Boulder Cave Review Empty Re: Small Pet Tech Boulder Cave Review

Post by Kodieh Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Awesome review! thumbs up
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 am

I've been eyeing this for a while at my local reptile store. I may have to go pick one up now; thanks! Very Happy
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:46 am

great review! Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down