Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dory - Update..

4 posters

Go down

Dory - Update.. Empty Dory - Update..

Post by Zak Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:43 pm

I've posted about my dory not eating before, but this time I'm thinking it could be serious.. I am worried about her.. she seems VERY weak, I always have food in there and fresh water, and a cool/warm side.. she hasn't eaten a full week since I first bought her she eats about 1-2 worms every month or two.. her tail never gets skinny I'm really confused.. she has holes by arm pit area, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.. I give her calcium covered worms. I cannot get her to chase crickets, she'll give up on a worm if she doesn't get it on the first bite. I'm just worried she's really sick and I don't see it... I noticed also that she runs into walls my last leopard gecko was blind, so I worked carefully with him but her eyes don't show signs of being blind..

If you could please help me with any of this it would be really appreciated.. I don't want to lose her...

Some pictures;

Dory - Update.. 100mediaimag0015

[img][/img]Dory - Update.. 100mediaimag0014

Zak

LGF Points LGF Points : 160

Back to top Go down

Dory - Update.. Empty Re: Dory - Update..

Post by Mardy Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:37 pm

How old is she? And could you put her in a clear container and take a pic of her underside? Thanks.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi, The holes in her armpits are normal and a good thing. So she has continued to eat only 1-2 items since your last post on Jul 14, 2011? Is the temperatures on the cool side still 84? Has her urates continued to be golden colored as you mentioned before?

herp625
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 pm

Sorry I forgot to ask 2 more questions.

Based on the old questionnaire, no multivitamins? Hve you continued to gutload with high calcium gutload and dust with D3 at every feeding?

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:24 am

Mardy wrote:How old is she? And could you put her in a clear container and take a pic of her underside? Thanks.
She's 15 months old, and I will get that picture later today I'm hoping.

herp625 wrote:Hi, The holes in her armpits are normal and a good thing. So she has continued to eat only 1-2 items since your last post on Jul 14, 2011? Is the temperatures on the cool side still 84? Has her urates continued to be golden colored as you mentioned before?
Good, about her arm pits I thought it was a good thing I just wanted to make sure, she has probably ate once or twice yes, but sometimes she will look at it and just walk away. The temperature on the cool side is 85. They're normal colors now.

herp625 wrote:Sorry I forgot to ask 2 more questions.

Based on the old questionnaire, no multivitamins? Hve you continued to gutload with high calcium gutload and dust with D3 at every feeding?
Yes, I continue to do that but she doesn't chase the food if it moves, she's really lazy and I am usually up 24-7 and I barely see her open her eyes unless I open her cage to refill the water.

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:44 am

Her behavior does not sound normal. The first thing that catches my attention is that her cool side is too hot. They need a temperature gradient of at least 10 degrees to thermoregulate properly. They will rarely eat it they are too hot as well as too cold. It is a way the body protects itself and the cool temp on 84 can lead to dehydration. I am not sure why it's 84 on the cool side but you must decrease the cool side so that is in the 70's asap.

Did you mean her urates are white now?

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:12 pm

"I noticed also that she runs into walls my last leopard gecko was blind,"

I hate to jump to conclusions, but I feel obligated to mention this...

There has been a few cases within the past year of similiar occurences and it might be a coincidence, but all were dusting with Fluker's Calcium w/D. All were being fed crickets gutloaded with high calcium cricket food. The problem is the gutload has calcium with D3 already in it and so adding more can lead to excess. I had just made a comment the other day about how every brand includes a different amount of D3. The amounts in Fluker's might be higher putting your geckos in risk of hypervitaminosis D.

Two of the gecko were acting lethargic, had lack of appetite.... the other two had swollen limbs and one had also started showing signs of poor vision. One was confirmed with gout and obviously kidney disease. These are all signs of slowly overdosing vitD3. How did your other gecko die? was a necropsy done?

I hate to give suggestions based on supplements, but I really feel that you should cut back on the D3 and honestly I would change the brand as precaution to Zoo Med brand. If that is the case she must be kept hydrated. I would recommend that you take her to the vet and check calcium levels, however blood results in reptiles are not always accurate.

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:24 pm

I used to give her 2 crickets dust with d3 and gutloaded a week now I dust em for anytime she wants them in a month usually once every 2-3 months she eats. She doesn't always bump the glass but sometimes. I don't have the money for a vet right now..

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 am

Still the same.. It seems weird.

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 am

Have you cut back on her suppliments as suggested?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zak Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes, and now she's having an eye problem... both eyes are clouded and she can't see where she's going.

Zak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down