Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leopard Gecko Tanks?

+2
daddycline
Xavier's Place
6 posters

Go down

Leopard Gecko Tanks? Empty Leopard Gecko Tanks?

Post by Xavier's Place Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:17 am

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a difference in a reptile tank and an aquarium tank. A local pet store has a glass 20 gallon low tank in the fish section for $49.00 and over in the reptile section what appears to be the same 20 gallon low tank but with a sticker in the corner advertising it as a reptile tank is selling for $79. Is it okay to put a leopard gecko in a glass "aquarium tank" or are "reptile tanks" made of a different material, not glass?

Xavier's Place

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 58

Back to top Go down

Leopard Gecko Tanks? Empty Re: Leopard Gecko Tanks?

Post by daddycline Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:01 am

nope. fish tanks are ok. The only difference is they dont guarantee reptile tanks to be watertight. just get a screen cover for it

daddycline

Status Status : finally got one
LGF Points LGF Points : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by Kouneli Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:39 pm

One difference that I find is that some reptile tanks will have a hole cut at the bottom with a plug for it....not sure why, probably easy cleaning? Also, some reptile tanks come with sliding screen lids instead of you having to buy a separate screen lid that just sets on top (and can easily be pushed up by certain reptiles). I'd recommend checking out Craigslist, though, as you can find some awesome deals. Be sure to search the community/pets section and for sale section.

Kouneli

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 191

Back to top Go down

Post by Immy Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Some vivariums have doors that open at the front, which, if it was a fish tank, would let all the water out. It's perfectly fine to keep a reptile in an aquarium tank as there's not much difference, except you might find that removing the lid - rather than opening the doors of a vivarium - can be a little more challenging, if you are setting out to handle your gecko or feed it.

I keep my Californian King Snake in a 3ft fish tank and he loves it. It's the perfect size, although it's a bit of a pain when I remove the lid to clean him out etc. (Noodle likes to climb).
Immy
Immy

LGF Points LGF Points : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:09 am

I have both a glass aquarium tank (Banana's house) and a wooden vivarium (Grumpy's House). They are both pretty much the same.. but I prefer the wooden vivarium. They keep heat in really well and the fact that the sides are made of wood and are not see-through makes your geckos feel more secure. I also think the sliding glass doors make things easier Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:53 am

not much difference, other than marketing to make more money...kinda like if you buy the zoomed 'reptile moss' you pay 20 dollars for a small box, and you can go to a crafts store and buy ten times the amount(literally) of the SAME stuff for ninety nine cents! and KOUNELI, that plug is so you can put power cords running in through the bottom for things like heat rocks or other stuff like that, and not have the wire running up and out the top...

side note* never use the 'heat rocks' without a thermostat or rheostat, they WILL burn your reptile!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down