Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood coming from vent...please help!

3 posters

Go down

Blood coming from vent...please help! Empty Blood coming from vent...please help!

Post by Sandy_Bear Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:14 pm

I was just about to go to bed, and I looked in one of my Leopard Gecko
Tanks and one of my females was all bloody in her lower half and the
ornament she was sitting on is covered in blood as well.

Initially I wasn't sure where it was coming from, she's in a tank
with 3 other girls, and thought maybe one of them got into a fight and
ripped her leg open, but her legs are fine, and she got some tissue
hanging out of her vent. I don't think it's a prolapse. I'm not sure
if I can finish cleaning her up and pull the bit hanging out, or if I
should just let her be?

I am very concerned about what to do for her.

My Leo is a "Chocolate Albino", which I think is really a "Bell's
Albino", her name is "Cash" and she is around 1-1/2 to 2 years old.

I checked the lay box in the tank, and I found one egg. Last time I
saw a Leo egg, was over a year ago, so I don't remember how big they
are supposed to be and the texture. This egg was huge and the shell was
very soft.

If the egg was viable, I ruined it as I wasn't looking for eggs, I
was just re-moistening the coco-fiber (it was dry), and it got rolled
around a few times and squished a bit.

I'm not sure who laid the egg, but I suspect it may have been Cash.

3 of the 4 girls in that tank used to belong to my buddy that was breeding (or trying to breed) Leos.
Sandy_Bear
Sandy_Bear

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 110

Back to top Go down

Blood coming from vent...please help! Empty Re: Blood coming from vent...please help!

Post by rickmoss95 Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:24 am

it could be a ruptured egg...but if there is alot of blood, and no other substance, i would guess not. if it was that big of an egg, she could have torn her vent a little bit. i would get her to a qualified reptile vet as soon as possible! let us know what happens..good luck. and sorry i could not offer any more help. is could be the eggshell hanging out of her vent? if the egg is that big, and there are two, she could have ruptured it trying to lay, and if she got it "stuck" and was crawling around, it could have caught something sharp, and ripped open.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Blood coming from vent...please help! Empty Re: Blood coming from vent...please help!

Post by Sandy_Bear Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:27 am

I think that the egg was over sized. It's been quite a while since I've seen Leo eggs, but I'm pretty sure that it was bigger then it was supposed to be.

I think that she tore her vent. Unfortunately I don't think that the vets in my town will be able to help with this; she may just have to try and heal on her own Sad . We don't have any real "qualified" reptile vets.
We have one vet in town that claims to be an "exotics" vet, but I think her forte is more small pets like rabbits, guinea pigs, and other rodents. She will see reptiles and amphibians, but I don't want to ever have to go to her again. I've been there twice, and I really don't like going there. It was the opposite of helping.
The vet that I go see, is a farm vet, (cows, horses, sheep, etc...) they've recently started seeing all types of pets, including cats, dogs, reptiles and amphibians. They can do some stuff, but I'm not sure if they have the appropriate tools to help repair a torn vent.
I know that they can prescribe any drugs or medications that I need, and they can do an enema on a reptile that has impaction problems, and I think that they would be able to deflate an egg if there was one stuck in there.
I'm going to candle her later and see what I can see. If there is another egg, I think I will be calling.

The tissue is not an egg shell. It was all dried out the first time I saw her. I gave her a soak, and it re-hydrated a bit.
A member on my other forum suggested that apply some neosporin to her vent, and not to pull on it. We don't seem to have Neosporin here in Canada, but I put some Polysporin on instead, it's basically the same thing. He also suggested using some Preparation - H to any of the exposed tissue in the vent.

I soaked her a second time, in warmer water yesterday, and she did a big poop in the water. Most of what came out was poop, and there was some bloody tissue bits in there as well. She did look like that there was more to poop out, so I'm going to try her on another bath today. I also put a bit of ZooMeds "Repti Wound Healing Aid" in the water. I'm not sure if it will help or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt, and there is Tea Tree Oil in it.
ZooMed Repti Wound Healing Aid

She is acting normal for the most part, she moves around, and she seems to be favoring the basking spot in the tank at the moment. I'm going to be feeding the critters today, so I will see if she's in the mood to eat.

Will this be a reoccurring problem for her? If she is going to be laying any more eggs, can I expect them all to be over sized? Or does this just happen sometimes?
Sandy_Bear
Sandy_Bear

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 110

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:54 am

or get some F10 ointment to put on the vent area
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:17 am

for some reason, leopard geckos will lay really big eggs in thier first clutches. im not really sure why, i have not researched it...it just happens. but leopard gecko eggs are really flexible for the first few hours after laying...so it would have to have been really big, as you say it was... never pull on any tissue! that would only cause more damage. if there is still tissue hanging out, you could try sugar water. i used to breed green tree pythons, and one friend of mine had one that kept prolapsing...i showed him the sugar water trick, and it really helped. he was simply feeding the animal too much, so i bought it from him, it never prolapsed again, but that is another story.... if the sugar water does not work, you need to get her to a vet, which i honestly think you should do this anyways...good luck, and keep us informed.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down