Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What could be wrong?

2 posters

Go down

What could be wrong? Empty What could be wrong?

Post by joneill Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:11 pm

Not sure if Jane is ill but she has been acting really strange the last few days. She is just laying in her cool hide not moving but when I touched her she scuttled away and returned back to her sleeping spot when I moved away. Jane has always been very friendly, coming out of her hide whenever I called her and climbing onto my hand with no hesitation. She has just turned 1 year old and I don't know if her behaviour could be changing or if it has something to do with ovulating or producing eggs. Though I have read that they are restless and scratch/dig for somewhere to lay if they have eggs inside them. Jane is completely lethargic, except if you touch her and she has been waving her tail back and forth at me when she never did this before. I know that this means she is annoyed and is trying to tell me to leave her alone but I am worried that something may be wrong and want to act quickly if there is. Her poops are fine (the last one I saw) but she has not pooped in the last two days as she stopped eating 5 days ago. There is no chance of impaction as she is and always has been on paper towel. I just don't understand what could be wrong, cos she looks perfectly healthy, except her personality has changed completely and I have done nothing different. Maybe someone could shed some light or suggest what might be going on with her?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

What could be wrong? Empty Re: What could be wrong?

Post by Mardy Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:54 pm

If she looks healthy, and she's not losing weight, and she stopped eating, there's a good chance she's ovulating. You can tell whether or not she's ovulating by looking at her stomach. You want to look for pink dots or pink circles. If you have one of those clear critter totes, you can place her in it and just peek from below.

If you don't have a weight scale, you will want to get one and track her weight. Rapid weight loss is a sign of greater problems that you will want to visit a vet for. But if she looks fine, isn't losing weight, and she stopped eating 5 days ago, and she's 1 year old, there's a good chance she may be going through ovulation for the first time. From my experience they do act a bit different when they are ovulating.

If she waves her tail at you though, that's strange. It's a defensive stance and that usually means she got spooked. Try to remember to see if there have been any chances to the tank, environment, temperature, or feeders within the past week. Geckos don't exactly like changes, so if you've moved her hides or changed things around recently, it could also be part of the problem.

Just a note I'm not a vet and hate to give vet advice, so if you think she's sick, take her to a vet and have her examined. Or at the very least get a fecal exam if you suspect she's losing weight and something's wrong. Good luck!
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Nothing has changed, everything is exactly the same and has been for months. I don't leave feeders in her tank, only put them in when I am feeding. She is not losing weight and she has a healthy fat tail. Her eyes are open and clear but she seems to sit and stare for ages. I have a sneaky suspicion she's ovulating but I don't want to be wrong and its something else. Its just the turn-around in character which she has never shown until this week. I miss the old Jane, she was so friendly and interactive. Damn, I wish we could communicate with them!
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down