Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

using Rapashy calcium plus with leapord gecko

5 posters

Go down

using Rapashy calcium plus with leapord gecko  Empty using Rapashy calcium plus with leapord gecko

Post by george3000 Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Crying or Very sad Hi I am getting a adult leapord gecko soon and just wanted to ask a quick question. My question is I am planning on feeding my gecko crickets every other day and dusting them with rapashy calcium plus. I am a little confused because I heard that you were supposed to dust the crickets every feeding with it. But another site said with adult leapord geckos you were supposed to dust every other feeding. If any one knows the answer please reply.

george3000

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 27

Back to top Go down

using Rapashy calcium plus with leapord gecko  Empty Re: using Rapashy calcium plus with leapord gecko

Post by Mystic Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:44 pm

well there is alot of controversy out there on how much and what to dust your feeders with. what i do is use rapashies and dust her food every feeding but then i don't leave calcium in with her 24 / 7 i give it to her once or twice a month because i don't want her getting calcium bubbles, but i also feed super warms and dubia roaches instead of crickets, they are actually allot better feeders, and are easier to keep then crickets so you might want to use super worms and dubia roaches instead. you will want to gut load them for sure though. (gut loading is when you feed your feeders food such as carrots, fish flakes, oatmeal stuff like that 24 hours before feeding your leo.) congrats on going to get a leo! we hope to hear more about your new friend and get to see pictures of them ^.^
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

using Rapashy calcium plus with leapord gecko  Empty Re: using Rapashy calcium plus with leapord gecko

Post by Mardy Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:58 pm

For adults I would suggest dusting only once or twice a week with repashy calcium plus. Remember that's an all-in-one supplement, very potent. It also contains protein, which if dusted too often can cause your leopard gecko to have protein pocket growth. So once or twice a week tops should be all you do.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by george3000 Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:26 am

Very Happy Thanks for answering me so quick I just have two more questions. First because it is a all in on supplement do I have to put the extra bowl of calcium in the tank with him? Also would feeding him crickets that have been gutloaded using pro gutload 3 to 4 times a week and dusting them 2 times a week sound like good feeding sceduele?

george3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:31 am

Some people do some people don't, that's up to you. If you have a healthy adult and you aren't breeding, you most likely won't need extra calcium dish inside the tank. For growing geckos during their first year and female breeders, I would recommend having the extra calcium dish for sure.

Your feeding schedule sounds fine.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by george3000 Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:30 am

Thank you again for your answers. I think I will dust every other feeding now but is is weird that every site that sells it says to dust every feeding

george3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradon Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:28 pm

I actually dust the feeders everyfeeding as instructed. Two of my leopard geckos bred last year and they all laid big eggs 4 or 5 clutches for each if I remember correctly...maybe more. They even laid a dud before they lay two normal eggs a couple times. I don't know if anybody's geckos ever laid 3 eggs before, but none of them had any bone issues since I fed and watered them well inbetween clutches and after they were finished laying.

Paradon

LGF Points LGF Points : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:19 pm

I also use repashy and dust every other feeding from age 7 mos. to now (just gonna be 2 in march). Until 7 mos.old he got dusted every feeding and developed bubbles with no calcium dish in his viv. While repashy is an excellent suppliment it is by no means "too potent". Allen Repashy is constantly tweaking his formula with new scientific proof of what supplementation percentages are most effective for our captive herps.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:10 pm

I disagree with it not being too potent, and potent is a good thing. By potent I mean if you follow the directions of dusting every feeding as it states on the label, you will almost guaranteed to run into protein bubble issues. This is why for most people that use it, they disregard the directions and cut back to every other day or just once or twice a week only.

If it's balanced "just right", you would follow the directions of dusting every feeding and everything would be perfectly fine. But unfortunately that's just not true, as this product not only contain D3, it contains protein. If you feed your geckos high protein value feeders like dubia roaches, dusting every day with repashy calcium plus you are giving your geckos a pretty high dose of protein, and the gecko will likely develop protein pockets. Those pockets have been tested to be liquid protein + fat, so if it happens while you are dusting every feeding, it'd mean the supplement is being over-used.

By the way I'm not saying this product isn't good by any means, I use it myself. I believe in it, it's a very high quality product, rich in supplements. But you won't find too many people that follow the label of dusting "every feeding" because of the very things you experienced yourself Smile

And to answer Paradon, female breeders need extra supplements so it would make sense everything's fine by dusting every feeding. When producing eggs, she needs extra calcium and protein, so female breeders actually need that extra supplement kick. Also growing juveniles need extra calcium and protein, so they should also do fine with dusting every feeding. But if you have adult males, or adult females that you aren't breeding, I would highly recommend cutting back the dusting schedule.

Just offering my opinion Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradon Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:27 pm

I thought the sacs were calcium sacs not protein sacs. Can you enligthen me on this please? Smile

Paradon

LGF Points LGF Points : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:32 am

Paradon, we'd love to answer that question if you'd like to start another thread in the suppliment our health section. Lets try to keep this thread on topic. Makes it easier for people using the search function looking for info. Smile
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down