Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He won't eat!

+2
asianpersuasion
Sydl
6 posters

Go down

He won't eat! Empty He won't eat!

Post by Sydl Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:24 am

Help!! I just got my first leopard gecko a few days ago at a reptile convention and need some help on feeding. I have been told that at his age (3 months) that he should be eating up to 4 meal worms daily or a few crickets a day. I have tried feeding him 3 times now, once late at night, once midday and the last time i just left some meal worms in his dish. Problem is, he won't eat anything! I'm really scared he is going to starve and die. I think he has great potential life and I want him to thrive in the home I have given him; Is he too stressed to eat? Would temperature or humidity cause this problem?
I will value any answers I can get, so please help :]
Sydney
Sydl
Sydl

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 39

Back to top Go down

He won't eat! Empty Re: He won't eat!

Post by asianpersuasion Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 am

First thing please fill out the health questionnaire found here http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions that way people can find out a little bit more about your leo and its viv and what not. Now dont freak out just yet. If you could post a pic of your leo so we can see what he looks like. Is the tail really skinny? This will tell you if she is starving at all. Sometime leos may not eat for a few days maybe even a week after getting home to its new viv. It needs some time to adjust and get used to its new surroundings. Please do fill out the health questionnaire and well go from there.
asianpersuasion
asianpersuasion
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1060

http://www.wix.com/asianpersuasion529/nocoleopardgeckos

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 am

As Jay said, definitely fill out the health questionnaire! It will help us to help you!

As Jay also mentioned, it takes time for leos to get used to their surrondings. My second leo, Nina, took almost two weeks before she started eating! You need to give them time to adjust. This includes leaving it alone (not picking it up) so it can get used to its house. Also make sure it has lots of places to hide, as baby leos like lots of hiding places, it makes them feel more secure!

Good luck, and I hope we are able to help you!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

He won't eat! Empty Health Questions

Post by Sydl Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:59 pm

About your leo:
- Male
- 3 1/2 months, unknown weight
- Snow
- 3 days
- Got him from a reptile convention from a breeder
- captive bred

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo?
once a day or not at all
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how
just not eating
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe.
not that i know of..
B) Fecals
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal
He hasn't gone potty yet, or I haven't found it
- When was the last time he/she went
?
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem/issue you are experiencing and how long it has been going on
My leo hasn't eaten since I got him. I have tried crickets, big and small, and meal worms in a bowl. All dusted with calcium powder

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size
10 gallon
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept)
glass tank with screened top
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.)
using paper towels and stones on the warm side of the tank
- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.)
1 humid hide-half on the heated side and half on the cool. 1 dry cool hide, and one warm dry hide.
B) Heating
- What is your main heat source (heat bulbs, under tank heat mat etc) **Please include the brand and size of your UTH if you use one**
I use a UTH, not sure the brand....it is a medium size
- What are your cage temps (hot side and cool side)
not sure yet... need to get a thermometer
- Method of regulating your heat source (thermostat, rheostat, light dimmer etc.)
- What are you using to measure your temps (probe thermometer, infrared lazer tempo gun, stick on temp gauge, etc)
nothing yet, ..help
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle duration)
a red light is turned on at night solely for viewing purposes. It is located far enough away from my leo that the heat won't effect it
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females)
none
- Describe health, or previous problems of cage mates

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What are you feeding
healthy crickets and meal worms
- How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding?
I try once a day at night//1 cricket or 5 meal worms
- How are you feeding (hand fed, tongs/tweezers, left in dish, ect)
I drop the cricket in with tongs and I have a dish I put in the tank for feeding
B) Supplements
- What calcium suppliment are you using (please include brand)
Mine are just samples so I will be using new kinds soon, I don't have the brand with me now
- What multi vitimin are you using (please include brand)
''
-How
are you implimenting your suppliment program (how often do you dust
with each suppliment, do you leave calcium in the tank 24/7 etc.)
I just dust the food when I feed, no bowl is left in ther tank
- What are you gutloading your feeder insects with
nothing
Sydl
Sydl

Back to top Go down

He won't eat! Empty My Leo

Post by Sydl Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:33 pm

This is may baby, haven't named him yet.
Attachments
He won't eat! Attachment
photo(2).JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(23 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Sydl
Sydl

Back to top Go down

He won't eat! Empty My Leo2

Post by Sydl Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Here's a more clear picture
Attachments
He won't eat! Attachment
photo(4).JPG You don't have permission to download attachments.(34 Kb) Downloaded 0 times
Sydl
Sydl

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Very cute normal! Has he eaten anything yet?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:19 pm

he is a cutie, nice looking tail so at least he has some stored fat. seeing how you just got him it might just be moving stress, if i were you i would try and drop some meal worms infront of him and let them wiggle and try and crawl away to see if you can get his attention. i would definitely go and grab a digital probe thermometer, 2 would be best so that you could measure both sides of the tank. some times if the heat isn't at the right temps they dont want to eat. the cheep ones you stick on the tank dont work seeing how you mostly need to know what temp the floor is on the hot side. i have gone and found a digital prob thermometer for $10 and it works great. try and keep your leo in a quite room and just give him some space, it might take a week or two for him to get used to being in a new home. i hope he starts eating soon. if not give us a update and we will try and help you in any way we can.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:22 am

That is definitely not a snow. :/ You bought it from a breeder? That breeder didn't know much I think. :/

Definitely get a probe thermometer. You can find them at hardware stores in the cooking area I believe. I bought mine online for like two dollars. :P

The red light may also be bothering your leo. Some leos are bothered by red light. I would leave it off for a few days to see if that helps. My leos don't like the red light. The rocks may be making it difficult to get heat from the UTH as well. Maybe move them to make sure the leo can get the proper amount of heat.

Again, it could be the stress of moving to a new home.

Patience is key. Good luck!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:37 am

kathstew wrote:That is definitely not a snow. :/ You bought it from a breeder? That breeder didn't know much I think. :/

Nothing to say it isn't Wink
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:43 am

Jordan wrote:
kathstew wrote:That is definitely not a snow. :/ You bought it from a breeder? That breeder didn't know much I think. :/

Nothing to say it isn't Wink
I was thinking he meant super snow. Embarassed
Whoops.
I take that back!! Embarassed
LOL Embarrassing....
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydl Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Haha all is well, Thankyou for the help. Early this morning I had him licking a few meal worms but he walked a way uninterested. I will definitely get a thermometer this week and make sure everything is right. Should I keep offering him food everyday or would that stress him out more? I'll turn off the light and see if that helps too, but I read that they can't see the red light, why would it bother them?

Thank you thank you!
Sydl
Sydl

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:20 pm

well its good he is acknowledging the food is there lol
as for trying to feed him every day i don't think that it would stress him out to much as long as your not making a whole bunch of noise while you do it or try and pick him up. but if you feel that maybe trying to give him a day off from any interaction would benefit him then go right ahead. as for the red light, i was told that the whole not being able to see the red light is a myth or a guess of some people and that it can still stress them out but its not as bad is a normal bright light. the dark blue night light that they have now is a lot better then the red bulbs if you need a little boost to help with temps in the over all tank. that's what i use and my little girl doesn't mind at all, but i was also told that some times it just depends on the leo. so if i were you i would turn off the light especially at night time, and i would get a night bulb if you still need a heat source or want to be able to see in the tank more at night.
here is a link to the blue light im talking about, in the reviews there are even pictures of what your tank looks like with the blue bulb on so you can see how much light it puts into the tank. hope this helps ^_^
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752562#RatingsDetail
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down