Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lots of noob questions!

+2
kathstew
VWisner
6 posters

Go down

Lots of noob questions! Empty Lots of noob questions!

Post by VWisner Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:36 pm

So as some of you may know by my post yesterday, I purchased my first leopard gecko. With that being said, I was fed some wrong information by the store and therefore have to pick up a few more items for Ray today. Im posting a video below of the tank..any feedback would be greatly appreciated. First off, I am picking up a heating pad today, calcium, a supplement, and meal worms. I put in 12 crickets yesterday and 7 are left so Im thinking of feeding crickets 3 times a week? How does the feeding of worms work? How often should the bowl have worms in it. I know that the sand substrate is bad! I will also be purchasing a different type of bedding, preferably a repta-carpet with a rock landscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJQPSgYc0dQ

Last edited by VWisner on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

VWisner

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 64

Back to top Go down

Lots of noob questions! Empty Re: Lots of noob questions!

Post by kathstew Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:07 am

What size tank is that? A 10 gallon?
As well, you should NEVER leave crickets in the tank with a leo. They will actually start trying to eat the leopard gecko! I usually feed my leos a few crickets every now and then, but take them out if they aren't interested within a few minutes.
For substrate I don't recommend repta-carpet. Its a breeding ground for bacteria, even with weekly vacuumings. The best substrate is paper towels or tiling. Any loose substrate (like wood pieces or gravel) is a BIG no no, as it can cause impaction as well. Remember leos live on rocky plains. They actually DON'T live in the sandy kind of desert.
Here at LGF we recommend an all-in-one supplement which will include calcium AND vitamin d3, which your leo needs. Its easier than keeping track of a bunch of different supplements.
For the mealworms, I give as much as they will eat, thats about 10 for my juvies and 15-20 for my adult. For a cheaper way of feeding there are superworms, which are bigger. With superworms you only have to feed about 1-3 superworms (depending on the leo) every few days. I also found once I offered mealworms, my leos were less interested in crickets, they rarely eat them now. Also, for treats you can buy worms like waxworms, phoenixworms and butterworms. Never feed more than one or two a week (especially waxworms!) as they can become addicted and refuse any other food, which isn't good, because they are not very healthy (very high in fat!). I feed my leos mealworms every day, as much as they can eat. Mealworms you CAN leave in your tank as long as they are in a bowl they can't get out of. its also a good idea to leave a piece of carrot or something in the bowl to avoid the leo being snacked on. Superworms take time for leos to get used to, as they are quite big and intimating (even to me! LOL!) It took about a week for my leo to get used to it.
You should also have an open space in your tank for your leo to turn around and move around in.
Also add a probe thermometer to your shopping list! You need to make sure your hot side isn't too hot or too cold. If it is one or the other, you'll need a thermostat or rheostat. Proper temp should be 88-95*F. (31-35*C Approx.). Monitor the GROUND temperature, not the air temperature, because the ground is what you're leo is putting their belly on! Wink

A good rule of thumb in general is to NEVER listen to store employees. :P They aren't (in general - I know several stores that actually do know stuff) trained properly in their care of the pets, thats why so many are sick at the stores! Reptile speciality shops are the best places to go to for information on reptiles if you want info from a store (but I think we at LGF are better Wink ). Lots of noob questions! 191501

Ray is a beautiful leo! I love him!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by VWisner Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:38 am

Thank you so much for the input! I got the things before reading this!

I got a heating pad, repta carpet, a calcium mix with d3, mealworms, and an air thermometer.

VWisner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:09 am

The repta-carpet can never be cleaned properly and therefore is a harbinger of bacteria. More tile, or just paper towels, is the best thing. Little leo's can get their teeth caught in the carpet too.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:47 am

See if you can take the repticarpet and the air thermometer back. Its not air temp. you need to monitor its floor temperature, because that is where your leos belly is resting.
I really suggest getting rid of the repticarpet and the thermometer even if you can't take it back. You'd be surprised at the difference between floor temp and air temp. I was after the lovely members here told me needed a probe thermometer Smile

Kodieh is right, the repticarpet is a breeding ground for bacteria, and it does catch leos teeth and toes a lot. Its quite saddening to see a leo struggle because their nails are stuck to what should be a comforting place for them.

Keep up the good work, and keep asking questions. We are happy to help! Very Happy
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by VWisner Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 am

Well honestly, I have used up all of my money on the things that I bought today so I probably wont be able to get a probe thermometer for a little while. It is the zillo heater.
http://www.petco.com/product/111886/Zilla-Under-Tank-Reptile-Heaters.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

I am also having the light on during the day seeing as though there isnt much light in the tank...should I put a smaller watt bulb in it just to light it?

VWisner

Back to top Go down

Post by VWisner Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:41 am

His/Her new tank setup Very Happy

Lots of noob questions! B5c942ac
Lots of noob questions! B2e2b332
Lots of noob questions! 6315979e
Lots of noob questions! 0e812273

VWisner

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:16 am

It's looking good! Eventually you should replace the repticarpet and get a probe thermometer. You can get the thermometer in the kitchen section at most stores.

Plants are not necessary but they do make the tank look good! Lots of noob questions! 191501

No problem, it scares me how much I spend on my leos! :P
Your heater looks good. I'm from Canada and we don't have petcos so I don't really know that heater :P You have it on one side of the tank right? The leo will need a hot side (heater side) and cool side.

Leos are crepuscular so they don't need lights, but you can use a light for viewing purposes. I have a fish tank in my room as well as my leos, so that serves as light for my leos :P

If your leo is housed in a dark room where there is limited daylight,
you can use a regular 15 watt incandescent light bulb to help establish a
day/night cycle..... If your gecko is recieving enough natural light from a window, and the
correct temperatures are being reached NO lights are necessary AT ALL
from http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t166-proper-housing-for-leopard-geckos
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by VWisner Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:41 am

So there is something Im a little worried about...I have been leaving the heating pad on all the time but when I touch the area that its heating it doesnt feel HOT HOT just a little higher than warm. Is that ok? And I have also been leaving the light on to heat the tank during the day because that brings the air temperature to 85-90 degrees. Is this ok? Ray hasn't been to active that I have seen so I was just worried if the temperatures are ok.

VWisner

Back to top Go down

Post by VWisner Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:45 am

He isnt eating either. I put a superworm in front of him, he stared at it, licked it and walked away.

VWisner

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:38 am

If you put your hand on the heat pad and you could feel it just a little, that is good. Our body temperatures are 98.6, so the heatpad is probably heating just a bit more than that. But you do need to get a probe thermometer as soon as possible, otherwise there is no way to be sure.

Air temp doesn't matter for leos that much. What kind of light are you using?

Leos are crespuscular, so they are active the most at dusk to dawn. So you won't see your leo moving much during the day.

Since your leo is new, its probably still adjusting to its surrondings. Also remember everytime you rearrange his tank, you are creating a new "habitat" that may confuse him. He may not eat for a few weeks until he's adjusted. Superworms, especially take some getting used to by leos. They are just so big, it seems like the leos need to work themselves to try one :P

I understand your worried, Ray is a new pet so you want to take good care of him. I felt the same when I get new leos.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by VWisner Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:01 am

He ate 5 superworms yesterday and 3 today Very Happy! Hes doing better now..I still cant hold him but I put my hand in the tank in front of him and he doesn't run away

VWisner

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:22 am

wooo Smile that's great!!
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by craig88daa Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:48 am

I've had my juevenile now for four days and he still hasn't eaten!! However, after seeking guidance of these guys I'm hoping he will enjoy some Mealworms tonight fingers crossed Smile

craig88daa

Status Status : Finally got 'Chou' eating :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:29 am

Congrats! I'm really happy for you! Thats great that he is able to eat that much! Just make sure he isn't regurgitating it! Smile

Craig - patience is key, he's probably still a little nervous still. Keep waiting and it will happen!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by VWisner Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:58 am

First successful hold today! For the past two days I have been putting my hand in the tank around "it." I was finally able to pick him up and keep him in my hand without him trying to run away! Success! And he isnt regurgitating it I have looked throughout the entire tank! The only thing that I think this tank is missing is something for him to climb on and a humid hide. I feel as if he needs some more stimulation because he tries to climb up the glass sometimes which makes me feel bad. Im going to try and get some wood or vines to climb on. Maybe even a bigger tank? A 20 gallon would be nice.

VWisner

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:00 am

Dancing WTG Dancing
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down