Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viv Critique please (many pics)

4 posters

Go down

Viv Critique please (many pics) Empty Viv Critique please (many pics)

Post by PuffMomma Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:21 am

We have two leos we inherited from a friend that collects many reptiles...I guess he has moved on to the harder stuff and did not have room for them. Shocked They are super sweet. The male is named John Michael and the female is named Lola.

My husband created a hide with large pebble substrate. We have a UTH on the right, but no thermostat yet to let us know if we're hot enough down there. The leos spend A LOT of time down there, so I am guessing they like it. The hide on the far right is also on the warm side of the tank, and under that bark are several concentric clay pots. I moisten the smallest one (which has moss in it) daily to create the humid hide. However, it seems to dry out quickly (I'd love to see it stay moist for more than a day, but that is not happening).

We have two water dishes, one small one above the rock hide, and one on the left side of the tank. There is another bark hide behind the large water bowl. Once, Lola was even atop the (fake) plant.

Interesting observations: The geckos were much more active before we got the UTH. They were all over the place. Is might have been because we were creating artificial light for them in the beginning; We have since stopped that practice. Too bad - they were really fun when they were so active! Now they spend a great deal of their time under the square rock hide.

I have taken to pulling them out of the tank for feedings, so that their grub does not escape among the pebbles. Now that they are on a regular schedule, they come out for these feedings just fine.

John Michael is much more sociable than Lola; He LOVES to be held. As you see, Lola has experienced a tail loss, and perhaps this is why she is a little skittish.

Here are my pics (I have no idea if this will work.
Couldn't find pic posting in FAQ):

Viv Critique please (many pics) Dsc04012c

Last edited by Karagain on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typos!)
PuffMomma
PuffMomma

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 64

Back to top Go down

Viv Critique please (many pics) Empty Re: Viv Critique please (many pics)

Post by PuffMomma Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:27 am

Oh yeah! It worked! Here's the aerial view ~~

Edit: Apparently I can't get that to work again. Operator Error I am sure...

Last edited by PuffMomma on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
PuffMomma
PuffMomma

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:31 am

it looks great Smile , but are the rocks all secured so they cant fall and squash your leo's? and also do you have a moist hide?
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by PuffMomma Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:37 am

Hi @samsleopardgeckos - Yes, the humid hide is on the far right under the bark. Under that bark, we have concentric clay pots, the smallest (front) of which is filled with moss which we moisten daily. It is not enclosed, however, and dries out before we dampen it the next day. I guess I expected the clay would hold more humidity from he water. Does a humid hide have to be actually moist?

Also, if anyone can direct me to a post which tells me how to get the pictures posted, I'd be grateful. I have tried over and over again. You're looking at one success of 20 attempts. I wanted to post another viv picture and views of the leos.

Oh, and yes, the rock structures are very secure. Don't want to squish the poor things!
PuffMomma
PuffMomma

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:43 am

http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t338-adding-an-image-to-your-post heres how to post a pic

I did wonder if the moist hide was something i couldn't see in the pic Smile as long as you water the moss daily it should be fine. and im glad your rocks are secure Smile
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:22 am

Very cute setup, I like it. Only thing I'm concerned about is the rock in the middle. It seems, from looking at the picture, that it could be knocked over somehow. If it's secure, then cool. But I know for one of my male adult geckos, he loves to rearrange things and is pretty strong. So I wouldn't be able to put something like that in his tank.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:03 am

If you are worried about it falling, then you can secure it with some silcone Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down