Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bizarre Ways to DeStress... SNAKE MASSAGE

3 posters

Go down

Bizarre Ways to DeStress... SNAKE MASSAGE Empty Bizarre Ways to DeStress... SNAKE MASSAGE

Post by Kermit Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:36 am

So everyone has particular ways that they like to depressurize and destress... I found this article this morning on MSN and thought it was kinda wild and just wanted to share how our wonderful reptilian friends help us more than we give them credit for Very Happy

Snake massage
Strange: Some people like the feel of non-poisonous reptiles slithering across their bodies in spa-like settings, with larger, heavier snakes providing a deeper kneading as they crawl across flesh. But how effective are these creatures at reducing stress? Even snakes’ general pressure on the body can be relaxing, says Kriota Willberg, a licensed massage therapist and an instructor at Swedish Institute, in New York. But what’s missing is a snake’s ability to systematically and selectively apply pressure, and to respond to the body’s feedback.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But True: When a patient is stressed out, the neck, shoulders, lower back and lower extremities are often especially tense, says Willberg. Within these areas of tension, multiple layers of muscles are often involved. By incorporating different muscle-relaxing techniques, such as tempo, expertise at palpating, and varying the pressure—skills that are not part of a snake’s repertoire—massage therapists customize their work to patients’ needs. The result is a modality that’s both stress-reducing and therapeutic.

There's even a wonderful little video for it, but no embed code so I'll have to link to it.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope y'all find this as fascinating and entertaining as I did Very Happy
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Bizarre Ways to DeStress... SNAKE MASSAGE Empty Re: Bizarre Ways to DeStress... SNAKE MASSAGE

Post by smsararas2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:18 am

I am slowly getting used to snakes and I really think that at this point I would NOT find it de-stressing to have a large snake crawling over me...but to eaches own:)
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Bizarre Ways to DeStress... SNAKE MASSAGE Empty Re: Bizarre Ways to DeStress... SNAKE MASSAGE

Post by Kermit Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:26 am

If you look at the video they're not terribly large Very Happy it says they use 6 non-venomous snakes but not what types... I hear ya tho... I don't think having 6 snakes, poisonous or not, crawling on me would be relaxing BUT I can say that I do like it when my son's ball python crawls across my shoulders... actually feels pretty good... until he wraps around your neck and gets a lil too tight. Shocked
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:29 am

Fairly interesting, I know several people who've said "I love the way snakes feel" when I mention I have one. Lol.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down