Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

licking butt

+6
smsararas2
CharliesReptiles
gothicgurrrl
joneill
Kermit
Leesah
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

licking butt Empty licking butt

Post by Leesah Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:40 pm

So far all the reading I have done on this says its normal but I wanted to check with my all knowledgeable friends here!

To any of you that are unfamiliar with me:
I lost a 8 year old gecko a couple months ago to impaction. I am over protective of my other gecko now.

So I don't know if she has always been licking her butt like this or if I am just noticing now because I am paying a lot more attention now to anything out of the norm.

I wouldn't say she is constantly licking her butt, but at least every few days or so.. I will catch her turning around back to give it a few licks. It's random too, sometimes after a poop, sometimes not. We have looked her over. No impaction, no irritation, definitely no weight loss from the fatty and no loss of appetite.

Should I be worried or am I just paranoid?
Leesah
Leesah

LGF Points LGF Points : 135

Back to top Go down

licking butt Empty Re: licking butt

Post by Kermit Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Have you checked really well to see if there's any minute bits of stuck shed in her vent? I never see Eros licking himself but there could be differences for boys and girls in that area that would cause girls to need to be more attentive. Do you notice if she drags her butt at all along the tank floor? Sometimes draggin and licking can be indicitive of parasites or protozoa infestation, maybe even mites but if it were mites she'd be licking and scratching all over most likely unless we might be seeing the onset of it. Look for little red or black (yeah I know difficult with a leo) spots about the size of a pencil point, or even little white flakes (also called walking dandruff) it's actually a skin mite/lice.

Chances are it's nothing to worry about, and I can't honestly blame you for being concerned with just having to put one of my dogs down last month and seeing another one of our 11 year old dogs slowing down. I'm much more attentive to every cough, lump, runny eye, etc. Don't feel badly for being paranoid/worried, no one is going to judge you here Smile

In the meanwhile, if you just recently noticed tihs issue and she recently had a shed( with in the last 2-3 weeks) I'd up her humidity and temps for a few days and see if that resolves any of the licking. Just check her over really well esp. around the vent. Look for anything that looks out of sorts, specks, lumps, redness, scales seem out of alignment/raised... anything that catches your eye.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi Leesah,

I hope its nothing serious but reading your post and especially the title made me laugh out loud.

My 9 month old female leo also does this from time to time and its usually right after she poops. I thought she was just tidying/cleaning up but now that I read Kel's answer I am not so sure. She is healthy and does not show any signs of anything Kel mentioned so I will check her vent just to make certain. I guess that's all we can do for now.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Please don't mistake regular hygene as any type of issue to be worried about... what I mentioned was just POSSIBLE reasons a leo could be paying extra attention to their hind end.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Will do and thanks for the response.
I am thinking either way in the next couple of weeks I will take her to the vet for a checkup. She hasn't been in quite some time. Wouldn't hurt.
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:46 pm

I was worried about this too.. My mom walked into my bedroom once to see banana licking her cloaca.. I assumed she was just cleaning herself like all other animals do.. I checked her for stuck shed skin but there was nothing... I think it's normal tbh Very Happy hopefully...
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Agree with kermit, have you checked the venteral area for shed skin, or any bits of the substrate you are using.

Does the vent look red, sore or different than normal. Males tend to lick more than females I have noticed.

When Cherry my females was licking her vent, it turned out to be worms. You might want to get stools done
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Status Status : Crestie coming tonight :) x
LGF Points LGF Points : 1439

http://www.charliesreptiles.tk

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 am

I have seen mine doing it from time to time as well so I really think it is going to be up to your comfort level Leesah. I REALLY understand why you are concerned and can't blame you. If you feel most comfortable taking her into the vets then please do so!! Now here is my opinion which is just that, my opinion. If she is healthy in every other way, and you said she is, I would just keep an eye on her and see what happens. BUT if you have the inkling she needs a vet, no one will know her like you do. It is just like kids, most doctors really take it into account when a parent says, they just aren't themselves:D
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:30 am

are you SHE isn't HE? male's will often lick there vent in season as they give off chemicals from their vent to mark territory and it also helps make the female's ready.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 am

yes she has laid eggs before.

I don't see any irritation or anything clogged.
All her other behavior is normal.
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:39 am

Her belly does seem large to me.. but I think she is just fat.

I am going to be cleaning her tank out tonight, I'll post some pictures to be sure you all don't see anything abnormal looking.

I can get some pics of her behind too if she isn't too cranky =)
She doesn't like to be handled like my other one did. Much more skittish to noises and other animals. Like if a cat gets in the room she goes into hiding.
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 am

Thats actually what I was thinking Jordan
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 am

I am uploading the pics now, couldnt get it to focus alot and she was pulling all over the place when I tried to hold her on her back.

I got a real close look at her vent, even pulled with my thumb a little, absolutely nothing stuck in it and it's not red or irritated.

Felt her tummy, feels fine, not hard.
I can't find any weird flakes or dots on her body.

Only weird finding was bugs.
I use lizard carpet for my substrate. When I lifted it up there was a handful of tiny tiny tiny tiny bugs under it. So tiny that I thought it was just a spec from cricket droppings until I saw one move. One of them even jumped when I started killing them. Any idea what these are? Not fleas, I am familiar with those.

I cleaned out the tank real good and couldn't see anymore with my naked eye.
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by CharliesReptiles Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am

1. You said you are sure she is a she because she has laid eggs - How long ago was that ? Some of my females use to lick their vent just after laying some eggs.

2. If there isnt any redness, or the vent looking different than normal I wouldnt worry to much. I mentioned my Cherry having worms and licked her vent a lot during the de-worming, but her vent was red and swollow at same time, so cant be anything. Maybe its just a habit of the geckos, like us with chewing our nails or sucking our thumbs etc

3. Personally I have NO idea what those little tiny bugs were, but Im sure someone will come by and help as soon as possible. But I wouldnt really use Reptile carpet. Ive heard so many horrible stories of leos catching their claws on the little fibers of the carpet and pull their toes causing problems and bleeding/infection from it. Not trying to worry you, just bringing to your attention Smile
CharliesReptiles
CharliesReptiles
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:57 am

what is preferred?
im afraid of using tiles because of the glue

Last time she laid eggs was when she was with her mate.
Hasn't been with him for over 2 years because they began fighting. He is my passed on gecko. I got confirmation from the vet that he was definitely male.
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:10 pm

oh and none of my pics came out focused to post >.<
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:10 pm

There is no need to glue down tiles...just set them in...that is what I do:)
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:26 pm

but the glue that comes on the tiles? won't the heat mess with it?
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:39 pm

No the glue on pre adhesived tiles is NOT harmful to your leo and it doesn't make a mess. It doesn't start tomelt until over 120 degrees F and they do not produce any off gassing from teh simple heatig of them which would be no different than if you were to lay your feaverish hand upon them and let it sit there for 8 hours. You surely couldn't melt the glue or heat the tiles enough to produce anything harmfyl. I use self adhesive tiles in my end, but you have to use the HIGH end tiles, like $2-3 a piece. They'll crack when you bend a corner down rather than flex. I have them actually peeled and stuck to the bottom of my tank, there's pix of it in the housing thread sticky on proper leo housing. I love it. Heats great, nothing can get under it and make a mess, wipe clean and sweep up the sand eros kicks out of his litter box (more often than usual lately tho... fixin to rub his nose in it... lil mess maker) really easily.

The bugs you're talking about I know what you mean but I don't know what they're called. I get them in my rabbitry when the trays are left too long before cleaning. They are a type of mite. They bite the heck outta my ankles when I find them in the rabbitry. Not something you want around your animals... they are attracted to soiled damp areas, and reptile carpet is notorious for harbouring bacteria and other crud like skin flakes and trailed feces or feeder bug poo... no matter how much you try to clean it something is gonna get stuck in the nap and attract those pests at some point.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Why don't you just use paper towel? Its soooo much easier to install or replace and there is absolutely no chance of impaction. Plus its white so the leos can see their prey easily.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:36 am

Or you could use slate tile, that is easily cleaned and you never really need to buy more. Wink
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:20 am

hm thanks, alot to think about.

I've been using carpet for 2 years and never had this problem but what you said makes sense.

I will get some tiles.

Something stupid to ask... sure thats comfortable for them? ;d
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by Leesah Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:22 am

Oh and I will use paper towel in temporary situations.. but meh, it would have to be replaced quite often and I am into the going green thing and not wasting =)
Leesah
Leesah

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:37 pm

We only replace our paper towel once a month when we clean out enclosures. Plus its paper so its fully biodegradable and will not pollute the environment.
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:56 pm

And if you use newpaper, you are re-using resources Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next