Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

keeping wax worms

+8
Kodieh
crevalle
Mardy
Jordan
smsararas2
Karagain
mrs looney
XxSilentNightXx
12 posters

Go down

keeping wax worms Empty keeping wax worms

Post by XxSilentNightXx Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:32 pm

hey guys!(: Well, i have a leopard gecko i obtained from a friend. she (i believe is a she) is about 5-6 years old. I feed her only crickets now as i've only had her for about 3 weeks, whenever i go to the store, they never have mealworms. only superworms and i don't want to feed her anything too big. I noticed that her tail is small compared to other LG so i decided to buy waxworms that came in a container of 50 and the worms are on woodshavings to fatten her up. its working so far and i feed her about 2 every day. she doesn't seem to be having problems but is way more alert now and active now and is still eating crickets(: well, i've only had the waxworms for about a week or so and when i got them, they were "sleeping" due to the fact that they were refrigerated. I've kept them in the regrigerator so far and they are not moving cuz they are could so i don't even know if im feeding my leo dead worms! i was doing research today on keeping them when they are active but the different websites contradicted themselves alot! i want to put them in a plastic container at room temperature with oats as bedding and feeding them carrots and potatoes so that way i know if they are dead or not by their movement and i personally would like to keep them active as it is fun for me to care for and instead of keeping dormant ones in a small container in my refrigerator. if you guys keep waxworms, how to you keep them? any advice? thanks!(:

XxSilentNightXx

LGF Points LGF Points : 20

Back to top Go down

keeping wax worms Empty Re: keeping wax worms

Post by mrs looney Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:06 pm

i just bought my leo some wax worm and i find they last ages in just there containers they come in... i dont feed them anything and i dont put them in the fridge, i have a little cubord under my gecko viv which i just put the tub in there , they usually last a few weeks ... but well done on getting the wax worm becausee that will defo fatten her up, and when you think she is at a good weight just take the wax worm out her diet and only give her it as a treat and replace it with something else like mealworm, are you still feeding her the crickets aswell as the waxworm?
mrs looney
mrs looney
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Status Status : failed my driving test today
LGF Points LGF Points : 678

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:26 pm

You need to be careful when feeding waxworms to LG, they can become "addicted" to them and refuse to eat any other feeders... There is also no way to gut load waxworms as well, so there is no point putting in carrots or potatos Smile

You are able to tell when they are dead, they turn a black-brown sort of colour, this should not be confused with the brown cocoon that they turn into just before they turn into moths (so annoying when that happens). If you are keeping them in the fridge, it slows down their nervous systems hense why they are slow moving. Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:13 pm

I usually warm them up before feeding them;)
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:32 am

You should never warm them up though Jolene. You should let them warm up slowly at room temperature. Never stick em on a heatmat or anything.

I second what Becca said.
You should not be feeding waxworms so regularly. Your gecko will become addicted and refuse to eat anything else, which is honestly so annoying.

Skinny or not, mealworms and supers fatten up just fine thumbs up
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:24 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Waxworms in the state they are in do not eat. So feeding them won't do them any good. They at in a stage where they are getting ready to spin cocoons, and they live off their own body fat. That's why the longer you keep waxworms, the smaller they get.

You will want to keep them in the wood chips they come in, the reason for that is to keep humidity out. Humidity kills them quicker, they turn black and die. So keep them in the warmer part of your refrigerator, don't worry about feeding them, and take out what you need and quickly put the container back in. You don't ever want to leave the container out for long as it'll warm up the whole container, causing condensation inside.

Waxworms as a treat is fine every once in awhile, like once or twice a week. Any more than that, you will get your leopard gecko addicted to them. They are too yummy to not get them addicted. And once they get addicted, it's very hard to shake that addiction, and you'll end up having to starve your gecko for a few days just so they'll go back to eating right again (which beats the purpose of you wanting to fatten them up in the first place).

Superworms are great feeders if you need to pack some weight on your geckos. They are not too large for an adult gecko, and you have one that's 5-6 years old. They are meatier, got more fat, and they fill your gecko up very well. They can also be kept in room temperature and be gut-loaded. So I'd suggest if you want to fatten up your gecko a bit, try buying a small portion of the superworms and see if your gecko will eat them. If they'll eat them, then buy bulk online to save money and keep them in a bin with oats or wheat bran, with slices of carrots every other day.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by crevalle Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Waxworms never seem to tempt my Leos.

crevalle

LGF Points LGF Points : 26

http://www.backwaterreptiles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Yes, not all leos eat waxworms. Most of mine do not like the regular "treats". And I will reword my "heat them up" lol for Jordan. I take them out of the fridge for a few hours before I feed them...lol.Wink
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:36 am

If she's 5-6 years old, the supers cannot be too big. My sub adults chomp them down like champs.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 am

ewwww my wax worm turned into moths Smile I could hear them moving around in the container Sad I hate moths :O
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carmella Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:40 am

Last time I had some that happened to me. When I opened the container they flew out and my dog started trying to catch them, lol. It was so funny
Carmella
Carmella
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 360

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:42 am

awww Smile cute!
We had some of those massive morioworm beetles running around in our house.. oops Very Happy I wish things would stay in worm form forever.
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by fufucuddlypoops6 Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:00 am

I just got waxworms for the first time yesterday. I was picking out dead ones and ones that looked dead (read on here they turn brown, but 99% of the ones i pitched were shriveled). I have them in the fridge, but I'm really scared that they're going to turn into moths. I hate bugs, so dealing with worms is bad enough for me. lol. Very Happy
fufucuddlypoops6
fufucuddlypoops6
Loyal Member

Status Status : Squirty worms and handling progress!
LGF Points LGF Points : 295

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 am

don't put them in the fridge.. I think waxworms are not supposed to go in there.. that's what i've been told. I just keep mine in a drawer (in the container of course). Also, don't gut load them, waxworms don't need to be fed Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:54 am

WAXWORMS(Galleria Mellonella)

keeping wax worms Waxworm
Galleria Mellonella, commonly known as Waxworms, are the larval stage of the Greater Wax Moth. They make excellent fish bait and are widely used as live food for herps.

Waxworms are climbers and have a knack for escaping their containers. Once received, always remove the container lids to ensure condensation that accumulated during shipping dissipates. Condensation is hazardous to the life expectancy of the waxworm. Be careful to keep worms refrigerated at all times, removing only those required for feeding. If maintained in cups and refrigerated, they will usually live for 3 weeks.

DO NOT FEED your waxworms as they do not eat. If food is placed in their containers it will mould and kill your waxworms.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down