Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I get my Leos to eat Worms?

3 posters

Go down

How do I get my Leos to eat Worms? Empty How do I get my Leos to eat Worms?

Post by evilsloth Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:18 am

I have tried feeding them all different kinds of worms and they will not eat any. They use to love silkworms, but know will not even touch them. Worms are healthier for them so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong, or if there is a way to get them back on Silkworms, or anything else. Thanks.

evilsloth

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 221

Back to top Go down

How do I get my Leos to eat Worms? Empty Re: How do I get my Leos to eat Worms?

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:33 am

Are the worms alive and moving?

Leos only like worms that are alive, and they like to be able to see them moving.

How are you giving them to them. Some leos like to be handfed their worms, some like to eat them from a bowl.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsloth Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:43 am

They are alive from the store. I have tried hand feeding them, leaving the worms in with them and they are completely uninterested. confused

evilsloth

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:48 am

Hmm. Thats weird.

Maybe they are prefering the hunt of crickets?
I'm not sure, what kinds of worms have you tried?
Waxworms seem to be the most liked by leos. If you haven't tried those, you could try those. They are only for treats once or twice a week though, but it may get them to try to eat them.

Another trick is, you could try tong feeding a cricket to them, with a worm stuck on the tong as well, so they can get the taste of the worm and realize it tastes good.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsloth Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:09 am

Lol that's a sneaky trick, I like it. Very Happy i have tried Waxworms as well though...

evilsloth

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:20 am

haha, try the trick and see if that helps. Besides that I have no idea! My leos have all readily eaten worms, they prefer them over crickets actually. So if that doesn't work, I'm outta ideas. Sorry!

Good luck!
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Dosercody Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:32 pm

I've had leos completely uninterested in worms as well, and its usually after they have hunted crickets. Could simply be their preference, and not a whole lot you can do about it, assuming you've tried all the "tricks" like the one kath recommended Smile Just to name a few, put them in a bowl, use tongs to make them look like they are moving, hand feed. One way that has worked for me is a more complicated yet also fun way. I take a piece of fishing line, 10 pound test (I tell you that cause it determines the thickness of the line), and just put the SMALLEST amount into the tail of the worm. By doing this, I'm able to drag the worm about the cage so it is moving alot more than any worm does, thus making it more like a cricket with its speed, that seems more likely to catch the eye of a leo who is used to crickets. Once the leos eye is caught, i can yank the line hard enough to remove it before the leo eats it. Some leos still won't touch the worm even after its eye is caught once it stops moving, so you could leave the line in until the very last millisecond, then yank it out, but that has its risks as you obviously wouldn't want ANY line to get in the leos mouth. If you had to do it that way, make sure your leo is attacking the head end of the worm, as the line is in the tail end. That allows you one, extra time to remove the line, and two a safety factor in case you are slow on the trigger finger.

I do not recommend trying this way unless you are experienced enough to do it safely, because if your leo got ahold of the line you have a much more serious problem than just a leo that doesn't eat worms.

With that said, its a fun way to feed your leo, as you control the hunt. It just depends on how much time and energy you want to put into it Smile

Another option is to not feed your leo for a couple days, or only feed worms, to establish hunger, so he/she will eat whatever you give him/her. Similar to getting a picky child to try new things by only offering something you want them to try. I would say the vast majority of leos won't starve themselves, and if yours had eaten silk worms before it knows the worm as food, and just needs some stubborn broken out of him/her Wink

Dosercody

LGF Points LGF Points : 255

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down