Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

temperature help

3 posters

Go down

temperature help Empty temperature help

Post by star55 Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:50 am

hey guys I was wondering if my temperature is correct if not how would I raise or lower it and if humidity is too high or low and how to fix it?

I have a 40 gal breeder tank with three adut females and a zoo med 30-40 gal UTH on the left side with a repti carpet and bout half an inch of sand and slate tile on top of the sand also with a flukers 8.5" dome light with a zoo med 100w infrared light bulb on the left side. right now I dont know the temperature on the right side which is the cool side cause I still need to get a thermometer. but my left side which is the hot side with the light and UTH I have a zoo med digital thermometer/hydrometer with the wire going down the back left corner of the tank with the temp reader on the bottom left corner of the tank but its not the metal probe type and the readings it got was max of 85.6 degrees min of 84.5 degrees. sound right if not how do I raise it?
then the humidity is 47% I know their deset lizards so how would I lower the humidity to desert type?
Attachments
temperature help Attachment
2011-07-24 22.27.03.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(96 Kb) Downloaded 6 times

star55

LGF Points LGF Points : 52

Back to top Go down

temperature help Empty Re: temperature help

Post by Kodieh Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:33 am

I believe you should raise it, around 92F to 95F is optimum. As for humidity, thats a little on the high side you should try and lower it since it can lead upper respiratory infections.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by star55 Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:54 am

how would I raise the temp and lower the humidity?

star55

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:32 am

Personally, I would remove the sand and repticarpet and just have them on tile. That should boost your temps.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by star55 Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:39 am

I was thinking about doing the whole tank tile but I did half tile on the hot side and sand on the cool side...but ill give that a try...any other ways of raising the temp and lowering the humidity?

star55

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 am

If you're on a thermostat/rheostat/light dimmer, you could bump that up. If you're not on one of those three, then it's the layer of your substrate. Once the temp goes up, the humidity should accordingly drop since it'll dry out.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:50 am

The sand is also helping to retain moisture as well which will raise your humidity so another reason to go sand free. Your uth is at maximum output if you currently don't use a rheostat or thermostat, you need to reduce your substrait. Anything more than a half inch thick including the glass, I would suggest a minimum of 15 watts uth for a 40 gallon breeder.

A uniform substrait would be more efficient with heating s using paper towels, hign end self stick vinyl tiles, natural stone like shale slate marble and granite will conduct heat better than ceramic and porcelain tiles. All can be attractive, but I prefer the high end self stick tiles.

I like your background and the peek-a-boo hide on the glass. You have some nice height to work with. I bet you could come up with some good multi level design in there. thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by star55 Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:45 pm

ok thanks alot guys i appreciate the help i will have updates on how it goes and what my tank will look like when its finished...thanks again

star55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down