Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY*

+5
gothicgurrrl
smsararas2
Kodieh
Kermit
Karagain
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Empty guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY*

Post by Karagain Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:40 am

Hey guys, I started building my naturalistic vivarium decoration last night and decided I would do a step by step thread on how I did it. Incase anyone was interested in doing the same! At the moment, I am experimenting with different shapes, sizes, textures and types of hides, rocks etc Smile

my current leopard gecko enclosure : guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Unledwb

Pictures for inspiration:
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Bajada-de-San-Borja
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Rocky%20desert
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* 2168ElephantRockFlowers10-Web
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Namibia392
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Namibia537

These are my ideas so far!
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Img0438ii

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Img0435ye

List of Items used (so far!!):
Grout guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0829b

Lots and lots of polystyrene guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0809
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0827a

Textured spray paint :guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0830a

Paint: guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0831z

CLEAR vanish: guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0834f

Paint bushes, stanley knives, kitchen knives, etc etc

Last edited by Karagain on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Empty Re: guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY*

Post by Kermit Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 am

Sounds pretty inspiring. Thanks for sharing the process with us. I'm sure the membership will find this very helpful. We should have a "how to" section that is a little more obvious.

Last edited by Kermit on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Empty Re: guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY*

Post by Karagain Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 am

Right, so my boyfriend and I started to experiment with the materials we have to see what we can make and what textures and shapes we could create.

Step 1: Grab some polystyrene and cut down to size with a stanley/kitchen knife guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0813

Step 2: incorperate what kind of shape you want using your tools, for example we are created a hill/mountain for the background :guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0815ra guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0822

Step 3: Once the shape has been made, use grout and a grout spreader (bread knife works just as good!) and put a layer of grout all over. You can make a really nice "rocky" and rough texture with this. and don't worry, the objects will not actually be this colour you will be painting over them Smile guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0836o

Step 4: allow to dry. Depending on the make, it could take up to 24 hours to dry.

This is a hide that we made, not sure if we are going to use it or not yet. I will be adding more layers of "rocks" ontop of it to make it look less rectangluar and non- realistic. : guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0823x

with grout (half done) guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0835j

These were my experimental rocks that I was creating: guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0817

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0821q

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0824v

This may turn out to be a calcium dish or a plant potter (i am making rocks to stick around the edges) : guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0825m

I really liked this water dish that I picked up @ the petstore, but it was the wrong colour and so I spray painted it using the textured spray paint (you can't really see how well it came out tho): guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0837m

Once everything is dry I will be painting etc Smile I shall keep you updated!
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:37 am

Looking good so far... just a couple lil things... first how are you going to moisture proof/seal everything and make it non toxic to your leos? Second what type of grout are you using? Sanded or un-sanded? Sanded grout is better for moist applications such as humid areas such as bathrooms and kitchens. You should likely be using sanded grout in your applications here.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:48 am

As far as I know it is sanded grout! But it doesn't say on the tub!

We will be sealing it with vanish OR another type of sealent. I am still doing my research and this is still in the early stages Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 am

You don't always need to make everything for your natural viv. You can recycle items from your old viv and give them a lick of paint and make them appropriate for your new naturalistic viv!

This is with the textured spray, I will be adding more depth to it with other shades of sandy colours once it has dried :

Before:
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0838f

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0839

Being sprayed...

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0840

result...
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0844v

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0841

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0842h

Close up on the texture:

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0845j

This is the water dish from before, dried:

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0846

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0847

Then we vanished it to make it water resistant and gecko resistant Wink
guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0849ai

Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:49 am

For sealing it, I'd go with modge podge.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:06 am

Yes, greed with Kodieh on the modge podge and you can actually get it at the dollar store. That is what I seal all my stuff with and it makes it water proof. Everything is looking great Becca. Thanks so much for posting your progress and the process and for being open to the suggestions of the forum!! thumbs up 2
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:27 am

Modge Podge is just watered down PVA glue isn't it? I can make that for free Wink
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:47 am

Also, thanks very much for the feedback! Its very useful Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:29 am

WOW Smile looking great Very Happy

Thankyou so much for posting this Very Happy I will need to use it next year when I start make my naturalistic enclosures Very Happy You are giving me some great inspiration Very Happy

How much was the grout from B&Q? Very Happy and can you get it in like sandy colour too? Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:40 am

Thanks Very Happy The grout was about £9.99 Smile You can get it in a creamy colour, which you can then paint over Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Molotov Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:19 am

Looking great! Im just now starting my foam shaping, cant wait to see yours finished! thumbs up 2
Molotov
Molotov

LGF Points LGF Points : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:15 am

Awesome Smile I thought it would be way more expensive that that for grout.. did you get that texture spray paint from B&Q too? Smile
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:34 am

I got the spray from Homebase. You can probs get it from B&Q but I wasn't looking for it and I stumbled across it whilst browsing homebase Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:36 am

Generally, manufacturers make them in many different colors. The more complex the color is to produce, the more expensive the grout will be. I know that for a 10 pound box of powder grout mix colored red was like 35USD but the bone color was only 10USD. Same for spray paint textures.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:31 am

Right! We have been very busy today Very Happy

Now to measure the background for the enclosure. You need to measure your own viv to ensure it will fit etc etc. I had to make sure that It was not too long and not in contact with the light or covering my vents.

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0850x

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0851

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0852u

Then cut it out and check it fits!!

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0864j

From there I was playing around with the bits and bobs and see how it fits in! I used cocktail sticks to demostrate how the ledges COULD stay on without being glued. But I will be using magnets instead.

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0860b

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0861g

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0859a

Still undecided on how I am doing the background.

I found these rocks outside in my garden... and to make sure that they were reptile safe, I washed them, disinfected them and put them in the oven for over 20mins to kill any pathogens

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0853c

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0856

Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:36 am

I do that once a month when I super deep clean my enclosures, I do 15 minutes at 350F. I also boil them prior to the baking procedure. Wink
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:12 am

You're gonna want a little more space between your light and the styrofoam. Once you get it all built up with grout you'll be touching that light. Allow about 2-3 inches for grout then an additional inch or 2 for the grouted piece to be away from the light.

Also soaking rocks/wood in bleach over night will kill any pathogens that might be in them if baking isn't feasable such as a piece of bark or wood etc. Stuff that can't be baked.

Last edited by Kermit on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:13 am

Next we were grouting the ledges and hides. We watered down the grout which made it easier to spread and makes a nicer surface texture and makes it easier to paint! guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0869w

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0866h

I didn't have my camera at hand when we made the ledge layered. But I will get some when I do the other ledge Smile

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0867t

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0868q

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0870n

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0872l

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0873

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam0871q

Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:14 am

Cheers Kel! That is a very good idea! Didn't think of that Smile
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:23 am

You're welcome Becca... I didn't want you to get it all built up with grout only to have to take it all apart because it was too close to the light Very Happy Unless you were talking about the bleach thing Very Happy yeah that seems to make life a little easier soaking them in bleach. Just an FYI... bleach dries to regular salt so it is non-toxic to your herp AFTER it is completely dry. thumbs up 2 the fumes however of fresh wet bleach will kill most creatures.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:27 pm

That's great Becca.
Thanks for doing the whole step by step thing for us.
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Status Status : Hello!
LGF Points LGF Points : 374

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:36 am

what I got upto today!!

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam1029s

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam1036o

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam1044

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam1046

guide to creating a naturalistic enclosure*WARNING PIC HEAVY* Sam1050g
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:20 am

Coool Smile looking goood.. i can't wait to see them when they are all painted Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next