Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What not to use When Gutloading Feeders

3 posters

Go down

What not to use When Gutloading Feeders Empty What not to use When Gutloading Feeders

Post by Dakota314 Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:45 am

Is there any food you absolutly shouldn't gutload feeders with? Foods that could be harmful or fatal to the gecko? I know you shouldn't feed an excess of greens, but what kind of greens is this talking about?
Dakota314
Dakota314

Status Status : Getting ready for my new leopard gecko :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 57

Back to top Go down

What not to use When Gutloading Feeders Empty Re: What not to use When Gutloading Feeders

Post by Kermit Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:55 am

You want to avoid foods high in oxalates or oxalic acid (found in many green vegetables) and Phytic Acid or phytates (found in unleavened grain products) . This binds with minerals in the digestive tract and keeps the minerals from being absorbed, particularly calcium. Some examples of food to avoid are:

beets
brussels sprouts
collard greens
parsley
spinach
sweet potato
Swiss chard
rhubarb
mustard greens
summer squash
green peppers
celery

Altho carrots and potatoes are on the list as a high oxalate food they also contain high levels of calcium which the feeder insect can process with out having the secondary effects of the oxalate affecting the herp. Unlike spinach which is also a higer calcium leafy green it also contains one of the highest levels of oxalates on the list. When the oxalate levels are higher than the calcium levels is when I think you run into problems. I have gutloaded with potato and carrots for years and my leo certainly doesn't have mbd or any other effects of calcium deficienty disorders.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

What not to use When Gutloading Feeders Empty Re: What not to use When Gutloading Feeders

Post by Dakota314 Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks. Right now I use a mix of potatoes, apples, bananas, and oranges. I think this will be a good variety of nutrients. As long as little Casey is healty then I'm happy Smile
Dakota314
Dakota314

Status Status : Getting ready for my new leopard gecko :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by peach75 Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:07 pm

NO to banana

Phosphorus - 26 mg
Magnesium - 32 mg
Calcium - 6 mg
Sodium - 1 mg
Iron - 0.31 mg

NO potatoes

Potassium - 422 mg
Phosphorus - 26 mg
Magnesium - 32 mg
Calcium - 6 mg
Sodium - 1 mg
Iron - 0.31 mg

peach75
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down