Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gutloading?

+3
Mystic
evilsloth
ashleyevan
7 posters

Go down

Gutloading? Empty Gutloading?

Post by ashleyevan Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:33 pm

I've heard about this but never really considered doing it. I've heard it adds a lot of nutritional value but can somebody give me any information on it or maybe describe how to do it?

ashleyevan

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 148

Back to top Go down

Gutloading? Empty Re: Gutloading?

Post by evilsloth Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Gutloading is extremely important, and you should start doing it. About a day before you are going to feed you Leos (their Leos right?), give the crickets or worms food. Always remember, you are what you eat. If your Leos are eating crickets with no nutritional value, than your Leos are not getting necessary vitamins etc. You can try feeding the crickets/worms fruits and vegitables, as those have lots of vitamins. You can also try Flukers orange cubes. Whatever you gutload the crickets with, make sure they are not getting too much of any vitamin and DO NOT FEED THEM FISH FOOD!

evilsloth

LGF Points LGF Points : 221

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:49 pm

why no fish food? high end dog or cat food ground up is a very good thing to give them to help them have more protein, fish food is also a good thing to feed them so im confused on why you say no fish food. i use oatmeal, ground up dog food, fish flakes, and i use carrots to give them water.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by James Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:45 pm

For my locusts I provide fresh lettuce every day and change their bug grub once a week. my meal worms are housed in bran and they are provided with carrot and when their carrot starts to go bad i put fresh in Smile
James
James
Loyal Member

Status Status : Wants a ferret :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 656

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsloth Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:46 am

Sorry, when I say "No fish food" I mean you have to be extremely careful about whats in the fish food, and what you are combining it with. You have to read every single nutritional value on the fish food to make sure you are not giving them too much of any vitamin, ESPECIALLY Calcium and D3.

evilsloth

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:04 am

there is no way that you are going to 'overdose' any gecko on the amount of any one vitamin or minerals by giving your feeders fish flakes, or fish food of any kind. that is not an issue to even worry about. gutloading your feeders is deffinately something you want to do, as others have said. i keep my meal worms on oats, and they always have whole fresh carrots, and sometimes sweet potatoes.
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by evilsloth Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:03 am

Oh really? The fish food I was feeding my geckos had tonnes of calcium D3 in it. Without knowing this, I fed them fish food and Flukers orange cubes for the moisture. I also dusted the crickets. The high amounts of calcium with D3 caused one of my lizards to get gout and die.

evilsloth

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:37 am

So what do you guys recommend is best to gutload with? I'm feeding them crickets, mealworms and occasionally waxworms. And also I have a question on supplements, I have a bowl of calcium powder in their cage, is it bad to dust their food everyday with calcium powder with D3 since they already have the calcium? If so, what do you recommend I dust with? And thank you guys for all of your help! Smile

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 am

Waxworms don't need to be fed as they don't eat. I think its cause they are about to pupate. If you put food in with them, they will die.

I recommend gutloading with carrots, lettuce - any fresh veggies except spinach (it binds chemically with calcium). And you can use fruit as well, but I find fruit goes moldy and attracts fruit flys faster.

For crickets you should also get the water crystals seen here. Crickets are a bit dumb lol, and will drown if you give them water in a bowl. You can get gutloading food especially made for crickets. I use that for my crickets as well.

Is the powder in the cage pure calcium, or is there other stuff in it? You should have just pure calcium in your tank at all times. And then dust with a multivitamin with d3. I dust twice a week. And I use [url= http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t1308-reptivite-with-d3-and-without-d3]reptivite[/url], its a multivitamin, calcium and d3 all in one. It saves me the trouble of remember all sorts of different containers xD
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:21 am

I feed my morioworms.. mostly carrots or carrot peelings, stale bread, porridge oats, occasionally fish food and romaine lettuce.
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:42 am

so i'll feed the mealworms carrots. i just want to make sure i dont give them too much calcium! the babies wont lick the calcium and i barely see them eating, im hoping its just because theyre new. but i read on another post about gutloading to put the mealworms in another container with whatever youre feeding them (im using carrots) and put it on the warm side of the tank for the day while they eat them the next day put them back in the fridge then feed them. is that correct? and also should i get a mutli vitamin to dust with because they have pure calcium at all times and im dusting with calcium with d3

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down