Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight?

3 posters

Go down

Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? Empty Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight?

Post by Kodieh Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:38 am

I've noticed recently that Snowy, my male Super Snow (full eclipse eyes), has trouble catching crickets. It was a concern previously with worms, he would miss a lot and then finally get it. But with crickets, even in a confined small space, he has trouble striking accurately. Now, I reliably know he was hatched and raised till he came to me on meal worms. I continued with that, moving to supers thereafter, and his recent disinterest in them had me put him on crickets.

So, my question is: Do eclipse eyes make for poor eye sight or do you think he just doesn't have a knack for catching crickets?

For those who aren't familiar, here is a picture of full eclipse eyes.
Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? Library-0054
(Credit to ThatGuy101 of Repticzone for the picture found on Google)
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? Empty Re: Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight?

Post by SaSobek Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 pm

The Eclipse eye pigment is on the iris it should not effect your geckos ability to catch anything or his vision.

Do you have a Super snow or a super snow eclipse? both have solid black eyes.

SaSobek
SaSobek

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 96

https://www.facebook.com/sasobekreptiles

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:15 pm

SaSobek wrote:The Eclipse eye pigment is on the iris it should not effect your geckos ability to catch anything or his vision.

Do you have a Super snow or a super snow eclipse? both have solid black eyes.

I'm not quite sure what the difference would be. He's a super snow with eclipse eyes, but was sold to me as a just a Super Snow.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by SaSobek Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:55 pm

he is probably just a super snow then they always have solid black eyes. the eclipse thing is something different.

eclipse super snows have usually have solid white legs, white coming up the face and white on the tail tip
like this one.
Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? 428665_334543903247552_123575404344404_838181_2038457102_n
SaSobek
SaSobek

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:21 pm

SaSobek wrote:he is probably just a super snow then they always have solid black eyes. the eclipse thing is something different.

eclipse super snows have usually have solid white legs, white coming up the face and white on the tail tip
like this one.
Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? 428665_334543903247552_123575404344404_838181_2038457102_n

That's always been referred to as a Galaxy to me. Ron Tremper in fact just posted some on Facebook.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:42 pm

A Galaxy's genetics is just a super snow eclipse, so while Ron Tremper can call it a Galaxy, most people call them by simply super snow eclipse. Super snow eclipse has the eclipse gene, hence they carry eclipse traits of white nose, white tail tip, and white legs. Both have solid black eyes though. I do think yours is just super snow as I've seen the pics before.

As for your question about their aim, I'm not sure if it's their eyesight or if it has something to do with their genetics. All the super snows I've seen behave the same way, they have trouble aiming at times. When not hunting, they behave fine, walk fine, and they don't seem to have trouble seeing. So it's really hard to say.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SaSobek Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:56 am

Kodieh wrote:

That's always been referred to as a Galaxy to me. Ron Tremper in fact just posted some on Facebook.

Always????? hahahha Actually no It was originally called a Total Eclipse they were first produced way back in 2007 by My friend, mentor and old business partner Alberto (A&M Gecko)

here is the link to when the actually post *Edit by Kermit - Sorry had to delete your link as it linked to another forum. Please feel free to send it to him via pm*

In the post he actually talks about the disappointment because we thought at the time it would be all black, but it wasn't. The picture I showed you is actually the picture that goes with that post, but was long deleted.

Just because someone slaps a new name on something doesn't mean they should :-)

Genetic name..................... .......Mack Super Snow Eclipse
First trade name in 07 was ...........Total Eclipse
Ron's new name in 2011 is ............Galaxy

All are the same thing....... Can Get Confusing huu hahahhaah

Mardy wrote:
As for your question about their aim, I'm not sure if it's their eyesight or if it has something to do with their genetics. All the super snows I've seen behave the same way, they have trouble aiming at times. When not hunting, they behave fine, walk fine, and they don't seem to have trouble seeing. So it's really hard to say.

As Mardy was saying super snows might have an issue seeing. I don't know if they have an issue seeing, but I know their head structure is different. They actually have what I like to call the Michel Jackson nose. hahahah I'm sure you are like what???????? let me explain and then i will put a picture up so you can see what I"m talking about. It looks like they had a nose job.

If you drew a line from the nostril to the eye. there is an indentation. On Super snows this indentation is more extream, also the snout is a little shorter then normal IMO. This gives them a look of "having a nose job" or the Michel Jackson nose. Look at your geckos I am sure you will see it, All supers have it.

here are some pics to show what I am talking about
Its easier to see it on this picture of a super raptor because of it being white you can see the shadow better. i also circled where to look.
Top view
Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? 419040_337817229586886_123575404344404_846488_1144050411_n
side shot
Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? 425301_337817296253546_123575404344404_846489_1760515680_n
here is a plain Super snow the black lines make it harder to see the shadow but after seeing the first one im sure you will see it on this one now.

Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? 419426_337817209586888_123575404344404_846487_524549408_n
Eclipse eyes cause poor eyesight? 424402_337817302920212_123575404344404_846490_982716942_n

hope that helps and you can see what I am talking about.
SaSobek
SaSobek

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 am

I didn't mean that it is or always should've been called a Galaxy. It's just that when I got shown that, by I think Sam or Jolene here who has one, the name Galaxy was attached. And it just happened to coincide with Ron posting a group he hatched out a few days ago too. All coincidence really.

As for the Michael Jackson nose (Yes, I see what you mean! You explained it very well Very Happy ), do you think that has anything to do with the Super Snow slow growth gene they seem to carry? I wonder if they just don't develop all the way, and that results in the nose, which leads to the eye sight problems! :0
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down