Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new gecko activity

3 posters

Go down

new gecko activity Empty new gecko activity

Post by Pinned27 Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:46 pm

i just got my gecko yesterday, and he ate just fine, but tonight he wont and is in his warm hide just laying there with his eyes closed.
Is this normal? i know i just got him and hes stressed, but to be sleeping at 6:44pm?
just wana make sure because i know they are supposed to be more awake and moving at this time.
im pretty sure its because sprocket (my gecko) is stressed.
Is this correct?
Pinned27
Pinned27

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 216

Back to top Go down

new gecko activity Empty Re: new gecko activity

Post by Smiley Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Its going to take about a week for him to get used to his new home (but each gecko is different). Hes just really nervous about all these new things around him. He will get used to everything more than likely, and get a normal routine soon. Just a side note there is no set bed time for geckos, they sleep when needed in captivity. So no worries about their sleeping schedule Smile

Last edited by Smiley on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smiley
Smiley

LGF Points LGF Points : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:04 pm

It all depends on the individual really. Being crepuscular, they are most active, usually, at sunset and sunrise. Some prefer sleeping in and waiting till its completely dark and quiet, others will be out at noon for no apparent reason... each to their own. I hardly ever see my leo out unless I take him our or am misting his viv. Eros is just a lard butt laze about Smile so as long as he's eating,pooping normally, and his temps and husbandry are right I wouldn't be too worred.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 pm

ok cool thank you.
yea hes just laying in his warm hide and wont eat right now.
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 pm

What are your temperatures and how are you monitorng them?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:35 pm

warm side the thermostat is set to 94, and when it shut off it drop to 91 then kicks back on.
cooler side is usually about 72-73ish maybe a tad higher.
And i check on him occasionally knowing that hes still adjusting i dont want to disturb him to much. but i do try to feed him mealworms but today he didnt go for it. licked the reptivite i put on them twice then just wanted to go back into the hide.
i just got him last night about 6 6:30ish so i know hes all stressed out from the drastic environment change, but i just wanted to make sure from people whom are most educated about them.
and yes, i researched and got my tank all set up and dialed in before i got him =]
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Are you using a second probe thermometer to make certain your thermostat is reading accurately? I've seen cases where there can be a 5 degree fluctuation between what the probe that comes with the thermostat says and a secondary probe reads. Its always prudent at first to make certain all your equipment is working properly. Also young leos tend to like it a bit warmer so maybe try boosting it up a bit, a couple degrees sometimes makes all the diference with juvies being more active. He could just be full, fat and lazy digesting yesterdays meal but it never hurts trying a little temperature bump if they spend ALL their time lazy in the hot hide. Stupid question but you do have the probe directly on the floor over the uth right?

As far as the feeding goes... try undusted the first few times. Some leos can be put off from the dust... it doesn't smell like a bug. It won't hurt your leo to go a week without suppliments. Imo its more important to establis a good feeding pattern as long as you're properly gutloading your feeders with a variety of fresh veggies he'll get the vitamins he needs. How many mealies did he eat yesterday?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:05 pm

i did bump up the temp to 96. and right now im only using the temp prob that came with the thermostat and i have a digital one on the cool side.
and yes i do have the prob on top of the UTH on right next to the warm hide.
and yesterday he ate id say about 6 mealworms and today he ate about 4 at around 12 but then at 6 he licked the dusted one twice and backed off and then i tried a non dusted one and he wasent interested.
and yes i gutload my mealworms twice a week with flukers cricket diet as a base and also with carrots.
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Sounds pretty good. Any reason you're feeding him more than once a day? That's not really recommended or needed even for juvies... that's a lot of food. We tend to over feed our leos and all we end up with is fat unhealthy leos. Its more in tune with their natural programming to eat after sunset so try feeding about a half hour after sunset and I bet you'll have good results. I'm not a huge fan of preformed "gutload". Its pricy and you ca get just as good a gutload giving your mealies veggie scraps right from your own fridge. Carrots, potato, apples minus the seed, lettuce, but not spinach cause ithas a chemical that binds to calcium making it impossible to absorb. Also you don't really need to monitor the cold side temps so much. They'll stay right around room temp which is fine. I think the other probe would be better served making sure your hot side is spot on. That's whats most important for juvies.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:25 pm

yea i just got the cricket gutload for now, most likely going to use some like wheat oats or something. and i also just use carrots from my fridge already.
and yea i just saw left over mealworms in his dish so i just went to see if he was hungry, but your right i should just feed him on a certain time a day. i want to do it about 6pm which is around sunset where im at. ill try again tomorrow and see. and ill also move the probe over to the hot side and see if they are both equal in temps.
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:31 pm

That sounds like a good feeding schedule. I'm up late so eros dosnt usally eat till midnight, 1 am Smile there's just too much activity before then and he likes a quiet dinner plus he won't eat from a dish, I hand feed. Also just an fyi... oats are bedding, not food. Mealies and supers generally don't eat much, if any of the oats and if they do, oats are high in protein and that's about it really. Fresh veggies is where you get you vitamin diversity. Just food for thought.

You sound like your off to a great start... keep up the good work thumbs up 2
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you. and yea i meant the oats for the bedding.
And i switched my digital thermo over to the hot side next to the thermostat probe and it was ready about 4 degrees off, but the i put the thermometer probe where the thermostat probe was and the temp shot up to about where the thermostat was reading. so i think i have hotter spots over the UTH then other places over it.
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:56 pm

And when I do dust feed, do I dust all of the mealworms I'm giving? Or just a couple?
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:54 pm

new gecko activity 02221210
new gecko activity 02221211
and heres my gecko.
any idea what morph he is? i was thinking mack snow but unsure
and about how old he could be? and does he look healthy?
and its normal when you bring your gecko home for him not to do much for a couple of days?
like just lay in his warm hide and sleep a lot?
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:05 pm

It's not a mack snow they are black and white at that age, looks like a nice normal to me, maybe a high yellow. It is normal for leos to laze about for a couple weeks after coming home he is likely moving around after everything is dark and quiet in the wee hours of the night after youre fast asleep. Also young leos feel more secure when there a lot of hiding places. Add some more tank decor to peak his interest and encourage him to explore more. Rarely do I see eros out unless it's feeding night or he decides to come out when we feed the dogs and he wants to see what all the commotion is, then he stands all tall and puffs up like he's a big bad ass. It's really funny in a sad sort of way.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:15 pm

ok cool.
i have 3 hides, 1 warm 1 cold and a moist one. also there are slate stones i had extra from working on the house i broke up to make steps up to the top of the cold hide and put a long piece there if he ever feels like moving around. ill try to get something else to fill in one spot so its not open as much.
he also ate 2 mealsworms today, so hes prolly still full from the other day.
also, whats good bedding for a moist hide, im currently using some paper towels folded up together and spray with water.
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:21 pm

I use paper towels too and he really shouldn't be fed for a couple days after regurgitating. That's likely why he didn't eat too much. Don't force it, don't over feed. Just get on a regular schedule, the same amount every time and your leo will be fine. My boy eats 2-4 supers 3x a week, usually just 2, occasionally 3, rarely 4.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:23 pm

ok. will do. ill just check tomorrow and see if he interested in the mealworms, if hes not right away ill leave them in the dish.
are regular sized meal worms ok for him? or should i get the mini ones?
my LPS only sells regular, mini and giant mealworms.
and should i wait to try waxworms as a treat like once a week or so?
and hopefully crickets soon once he feels more comfortable.
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Regular should be fine. Ya gotta believe me when I tell you not to over feed. Waxies are usually something you want to give once or twice a month. I wouldn't leave more than 5 or 6 in his dish our hand fed. Obesity is the main cause of many problems with leos. Fatty lifer disease, kidney issues, please don't over feed your leo. It's not good for him. You don't want to grow your leo fast. It can lead to low bone density in the long bones leading to thin twiggy bones, not good. Think about it, in the wild they eat sparingly, what they can find close by without wandering far from safety. Thats why adults only should be fed every other day or twice a week they don't need much to survive.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:40 pm

yea i only keep 5 mealworms in his dish, nothing more. and ill be sure not to over feed him, i dont want him to have problems. i want a healthy life for him to live.
so about 2-3 mealworms a day sound about good? dust every other day? or should i make it less?
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:59 pm

3-5 is a good start, he'll need a few more the bigger he gets until he's big enough to bump up to a larger feeder. Another important thing is feeding appropriately sized food so youre not over feeding with a bunch of hard to digest chitin covered mealies. Crickets aren't horrid but they have a greater potential for carrying parasites. Personally I don't even use them just for that reason. Dust once a week with each suppliment, calcium, calcium with S3, and your multi vit preferably on different days.
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:09 pm

i have this reptivite stuff thats an all in one duster. i was told that is fine just by itself.
and i heard that the rule of thumb when it comes to size is no bigger then between the eyes. but the mealworms i have now are a bit bigger, and he seems to take them no problem. is this ok?
and im sure superworms are out of the question till he is bigger of course.
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:18 pm

A little bigger won't hurt. If it's an all in r suppliment dust twice a week until he's 6 months old then once a week should be fine. I was unaware reptivit made an all in 1 suppliment. Youre sure it's an all in 1?
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinned27 Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:27 pm

ok because the mealworms i have some are good sized and some are bigger.
and this is the duster i have:
http://www.petco.com/product/5023/Zoo-Med-Reptivite-Reptile-Vitamins.aspx?CoreCat=MM_ReptileSupplies_HealthCare
and im also gutloading my mealworms aswell.
Pinned27
Pinned27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down