Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best way to clean

5 posters

Go down

Best way to clean Empty Best way to clean

Post by mued2001 Thu May 05, 2011 4:22 pm

I am really excited. We are finally getting our leo's terrarium up to snuff. I have a couple of questions though. What is the best way to clean it? The lady who donated her to the club set her up in an old aquarium rather quickly and now that I have it all emptied out, I want to get it spick and span before filling it up again? What is the best product for cleaning the glass? What about the new vinyl imitation slate tiles? She was using one corner in her old setup as a potty, but that was in cypress mulch. Now she has a tile floor. Can I put a "litter box" in a corner? If I pick just any corenr will she use it? Should I just wait to see where she craps first and put it there? WHat makes the best "litter"?

mued2001

LGF Points LGF Points : 26

Back to top Go down

Best way to clean Empty Re: Best way to clean

Post by Jordan Thu May 05, 2011 9:54 pm

I don't know much about US brands, but here in the UK i use something called Dettol, (you may have it even), and its just a normal antibacterial cleaning spray.
It works fine, but it has to be cleaned off thoroughly before sticking a gecko in it. I'm pretty sure there will be a US equivalent.

Its an interesting subect, the whole 'Litter tray' thing. Although gecko's will very often pick a corner to do all their business in anyway, people have still managed to get them to do it in a litter tray.
I know Kel (Kermit) has a mini litter tray, and i think she has used a thin layer of sand in it or something.
The way to do it, would be to get some of his poop and put it into the litter tray. Whenever and wherever he poops, just stick it into the litter tray and hopefully after a while he'll learn.

Mind you, leo's aren't prone to operant conditioning as much as other animals.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Fri May 06, 2011 12:18 am

The best thing I know of to clean this tank is white vinegar and water. It removes all the biological element that might be left behind by other sanatizers. Even works better than nature's miracle, plus doesn't leave behind caustic smells like some bleach and all purpose cleaners can. As far as the litterbox goes... I had my breeder send me some of my leos poo when he shipped him, I set up the litterbox with the rest of the tank and put his poo in the litterbox which does have about an inch of sand n there. He used it from day 1. I put it close to his hot hide so he didn't have to explore far to find it during his settling in period. Your leo whould search out familliar smells after you detox the tank for certain things like potty areas, resting areas etc. He'll have a vague memory of how the tank was before you detoxed it so you may want to put the litterbox in an area he previously used for potty until he is using it regularly. I never had an issue with Eros not using his box... he uses it religeously from day 1. Make sure the box is large enough for an adult leo to stand comfortably in and turn around easily with out obstruction. Pic of mine just to give you an idea (Eros' litterbox is about 8 inches long by 6 inches wide). This wasn't an issue of operant conditioning moreso than playing on the natural instinct that leos aer clean creatures that will consistantly go potty in the same aera once it's established. Best way to do that is bait with his poo. I clean my litterbox about onec a week, replacing half the sand every 3 weeks or as needed. I never completely change all the sand. You still want something in there to draw him back. All I usually do is sift the sand thru a collander and that works great. Any liquid waste tends to clump up the sand and well the solid is obviously getting caught in the collander. Also don't be surprised if this leo goes thru another settling in period after you redo the tank. It'll all be new to him so make sure to be consistant with temps and feeding schedules to minimize settling in this time around.

Best way to clean Tank_top_view_1-2011-uZzFL
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gothicgurrrl Fri May 06, 2011 5:48 am

I use a disinfectant spray made for cleaning reptiles enclosures Smile It's called 'Deep Clean' and it's by a company called 'Beaphar' Smile I use that to wipe the glass, the tiles and the sides of the viv. I also spray a little onto the hides and things.. and then wash them in hot water Very Happy
gothicgurrrl
gothicgurrrl
Forum Staff

LGF Points LGF Points : 6090

http://sbf-lionheads.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Fri May 06, 2011 8:43 am

I use the reptile cleaner called F10 ready to use disinfectant as my vet recomended it Smile and its really good
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan Fri May 06, 2011 8:59 am

We use F10 and M10 at Morrisons lol.
Well we're supposed to, normally a wet cloth does the job.
Jordan
Jordan
Forum Staff

Status Status : The review team rocks!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1923

http://supermorphleos.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Fri May 06, 2011 9:12 am

tut tut thats naughty Jordan lol
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down