Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lighting

+3
herp625
Kodieh
jessmonster
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lighting Empty Lighting

Post by jessmonster Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 am

Hi everyone!
My vet that specializes in reptiles said that there are two different lights you should have in a gecko tank. A UV and a infrared heat lamp. I got them and Randall loves basking under them. Will upload some pictures tomorrow.
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Status Status : Hello!
LGF Points LGF Points : 374

Back to top Go down

Lighting Empty Re: Lighting

Post by Kodieh Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 am

The only problem with that is, they do not require UV and need belly heat. Therefore, the UV and heat lamp do nothing positive nor negative for the gecko.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:10 am

Actually UVB benefit them in many ways. Some lay under the bulbs, others lay a portion of their body out of their hide to get the rays. Not only it's a smart way to prevent MBD, it's also a way to prevent hypervitaminos D. UVB increases appetite and helps them mentally as in photoperiod.

Jess x just make sure he can avoid the UVB when desired. They only need short periods nd so it's important you have many hides and a darker side. While your using UVB make sure not to use VITD more than once a week.

herp625
Loyal Member

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:38 am

Leopard Geckos are crepsecular which means they are not awake in the wild during the daylight hours. They do not go out in the sun and they do not bask in the sun in the wild. Why would we expect them to need to or want to bask in captivity. I am not sure that I understand the theory behind needing the lights. As already mentioned the belly heat is needed for digestion and that is all they need. This is why they have powdered calcium. Lights on your leos tank WILL stress it out. Some may appear to enjoy it but they do not think like we do. They may not try to avoid it just in the same token as some will sit on heated rocks until they are burned to a crisp.

smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Status Status : Just found out Fly is worth 6-800 dollars....oh my
LGF Points LGF Points : 1470

http://smsararas2.webnode.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:16 am

Let me clarify. I strongly believe their source of D3 comes from the sun at dust when the levels are low. Many years ago nocturnal species were observed by herpetologists at dusk. I do not suggest basking lights over heat mats, I was only referringto UVB as positive. The problem is in captivity they are kept in limited confined spaces. Provide them with more space and options and they will be fine.
I know several people who use UVB including myself with no problems. It's all about space, options and how you use it.

Then again I am not sure if the OP meant a UVA basking bulb or UVB/UVA?

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:09 am

Ok, I do believe that they have been seen at dusk and such because that is what crepsecular means, early evening and early morning is when they are most active. They are not nocturnal. Anyhow, I hope you see this as a friendly discussion...lol....it's sometimes hard to get across in writing without sounding unintentionally argumentative, that is not meant, just discussing.

When they are seen out at dusk they are getting very very low levels of light, I believe that should be obvious, because that is what dusk is, right? Well, UV lights are very bright even if you get a low wattage one. I am not sure how that would compare to a "dusk sun". Also, it should be noted that there are some leopards that are quite sensitive to the sun....my enigmas, my RAPTOR and my eclipses are the few kinds that I find keep their eyes closed when I have them out. So, this would be stressful to them, in my opinion.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:54 am

Yes this is a discussion, not an argument, lol No worries I am a mature adult. I thank you for pointing this out as I know these topics can end up ugly when discussed through writing. I am not trying to offend anyone by what I am going to say. I am just explaining my point of view.

We want to provide an environment that is as close as natural as possible right? Why provide only 2 feet of space... the wild is huge. With a good amount of space and hides there will be options of light and dark. Of course this will not be possible for breeders, but as a pet I would think you want to offer them quality care. I have personally seen the difference it can make in a geckos life. Unfortunately many go beyond their means and buy too many. The less you have the more you can provide for the ones you have. Again if you allow at least 3 feet of space, you can supply UVB on one side of the enclosure. Providing several hides, some open and more than one in various temperature gradients.
From by observation I can honestly say some will move to the open hides to get UVB exposure. The idea is to provide hides large enough to hide completely when necessary, especially for the geckos with more sensitive eys. I have seen normals out under the UVB, but when they feel they are alone in the room. Most of the fear comes from " I can't see well in the light and therefore I am susceptible to become prey." So even with the ones with sensitive eyes it is possible if used correctly. It goes beyond the benefit of UVB alone; I have also seen improvement on the psychological standpoint.
Picture yourself in the dark 24 hours without knowing what time it is. Your sleeping habits will be all over the place. We all need continuous undisturbed hours of sleep for maximum health.

Hope this helps see my point of view:)

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Just for the record, no jerky machines Razz The vicious cycle of dehydration, stuck shed poor appetite makes me sigh.

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:02 pm

I am glad you are on the same page as this is just a discussion. I hate when things turn ugly, there is no reason for it. We may never agree on this but it is an interesting discussion.....lol.

I CAN see your point if your leos are kept in very dark rooms with no windows. Mine are in an area where they are not crawling around in the dark all the time, so they are able to tell the difference between night and dark.

Also, and I am not trying to be a smart alec....lol.....what are the differences you see pschyologically please.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:10 pm

I think while UVB can be beneficial to leopard geckos if done right, my problems is with trusting hobbyists to do it right. It's like the sand debate, yes it can be done. But it's too easy to make a mistake and cause your gecko harm, it's often not worth it to recommend such things.

Yes in the wild, nobody's out there sprinkling calcium w/ D3 on insects. Leopard geckos have been seen to bask at times. But when talking about UVB, it's important to note that bright light can cause harm to ultra light sensitive geckos such as enigmas. UVB is also extremely dangerous to albinos, and as we know albinos were created in captivity. These geckos would not survive in the wild at all. So while we want to try to recreate their living environment, there's a fine line to walk.

I find that opening your window's blinds to give them indirect sunlight is good enough to give them a sense of day/night cycle. Dusting gut-loaded feeders with multivitamins containing D3 1-2x a week should allow you to maintain a very healthy, long lasting leopard gecko regardless of the morph, breed, or genetic.

With that said, I find no issues with people wanting to provide UVB to their leopard geckos provided that they do it right. Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:14 pm

I see your point Mardy. It is like the sand thing I suppose where you just tell everyone NO because you do not know each persons level of experience. The only time I have used UVB is as treatment for MBD and that was a limited basis. Of course many of my other reptiles require it.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:12 pm

"my problems is with trusting hobbyists to do it right. It's like the sand debate, yes it can be done. But it's too easy to make a mistake and cause your gecko harm, it"

So true Mardy. That is my fear and why I always mention it should on be used in large enclosures.
I would love to educate on how to use it but the reality is who is going to buy large cages? It saddens me too see so many geckos with issues,

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:21 pm

I have seen increase in appetite, they become more active after the light goes out,their colors are brighter. It;s just like us when we deppressed and go out to get some sun. The suns rays play a big part in your overall mood. They can see the rays and full spectrum. Most important of all, you won't have to worry about overdosing supplements.

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Quite the opposite, actually. If a delicate balance of D3 and calcium is not met, an over abundance of D3 can over take the calcium intake and lead to a quickened calcium deficiency if they cannot escape the UVB.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:12 pm

The UVb breaks it down. What you are explaining happens often with powdered form D3. Here's some info. Vitamin D supplements can be toxic so don’t oversupplement. It is fat soluble so it is absorbed better with a fatty meal and is stored in the body in both liver and fat stores. It is NOT required by animals getting adequate sunlight. Vitamin D3 can be stored in the body, mainly in the liver so occasionally liver problems can also present with bone abnormalities. Vitamin D3 can deteriorate with storage so check dating on any supplements. Vitamin D can be toxic in large amounts and can cause calcification of soft tissues including blood vessels and organs such as kidneys and skin.

I have seen quite a few necropsies with calcification of soft tissues and with the fat diet of worms most people feed, the deaths will continue.

http://robertsprackland.hubpages.com/hub/Ultraviolet-Light--Vitamin-D--and-Reptile-Health
http://www.arcadia-uk.info/file/download/en/Leopard%20Gecko%20A5%20flyer.pdf
http://www.petinfoclub.com/Exotics/Know_your_pet/Lighting_for_nocturnal_lizards.aspx
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/vitdpathway.htm

As I mentioned earlier a larger enclosure and many hides so that it's an option.

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Karagain Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:42 pm

I've read an intresting article about leopard geckos and needing UV. In my last year of uni I will be doing my disseration on "Does UV lighting have any affect on growth, weight gain and levels of activities in juvile leopard geckos" It is a very interesting topic indeed!!
Karagain
Karagain
Forum Staff

Status Status : Finally got a day off :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 1246

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:09 pm

That sounds interesting Becca, maybe when you are done you can post it on here so we all can benefit from it Wink
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks guys for keeping an open mind and at least listening instead of making it a battleLighting 176172 Afterall we all want what is best for our rascals Smile

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Hello Jess,

I am concerned on how your using the bulb. You never answered whether it was a UVB or UVA basking bulb? Veterinarians only give you part of the information and it's important you also are aware of the dangers. Personally I would never use or recommend UVB to be used in an enclosure under 3 feet long. Just like the sun causes sun burn in humans, the same can occur with UVB if placed to close or your gecko spend too much time close to it.

Last edited by herp625 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:03 pm

There is nothing wrong with differing opinion herp625, it is all the way that we deal with it. We like to keep things friendly here and if you choose to use a light, that is your choice Wink
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:25 am

Jess x just make sure he can avoid the UVB when desired. They only need short periods nd so it's important you have many hides and a darker side.

No worries. I have several hides and a dark spot outside of the hides if he doesn't want it Smile
So does everyone here think that the infrared is a bad idea? Will put a vote and discuss this with the vet.
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jessmonster Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:29 am

I am concerned on how your using the bulb. You never answered whether it was a UVB or UVA basking bulk?

My mum bought it and she isn't positive but she thinks it's a UVB bulb.
jessmonster
jessmonster
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by smsararas2 Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:37 am

Jess, it would be my best advice to not use the light if you are not even sure what it is.
smsararas2
smsararas2
Forum Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:49 am

I'm curious: Would just having a UVB light in the same room as the leos make a difference?
I have a bearded dragon and a blue tongue skink in the same room as my leos. Would the rays benefit the leos - would they even reach the leos?
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:06 am

No, the UVB bulbs are fairly weak and only work within 12 inches.

herp625
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next