Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unexpected arrival, need urgent help !

+2
kathstew
melsee
6 posters

Go down

Unexpected arrival, need urgent help ! Empty Unexpected arrival, need urgent help !

Post by melsee Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:40 am

Ok so My egg was incubating, and on day 3 38 it has arrived ! ummm help, its bank holiday, no pets shop open now. I have no heat mat, only a temporary plastic box with a whole in the lid. What do I do until tomorrow, what do I need I havnt a clue. Was not expecting this now, it was incubated at 82 degrees all the way through.
melsee
melsee

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 36

Back to top Go down

Unexpected arrival, need urgent help ! Empty Re: Unexpected arrival, need urgent help !

Post by melsee Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:40 am

sorry that meant day 38 it hatched
melsee
melsee

Back to top Go down

Unexpected arrival, need urgent help ! Empty Re: Unexpected arrival, need urgent help !

Post by kathstew Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:09 am

No offense, but why weren't you prepared if you were incubating an egg?

I'm not sure, I would maybe put the hatchling in the tupperware container and put the container in your adult's cage, assuming you have an adult leo. Besides that, if you have a heat pad for backs and such I would put the tupperware container on that, monitoring the temps inside the container.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by melsee Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:15 am

this is my fist baby, so have no experience, and I didnt think it would come on day 38, so have not read up and got the bits I need.
I have been told this is too early, so was not prepared :-(
melsee
melsee

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:30 am

You should research before breeding any animal.
Do you have anything planned for the hatchling as of yet? What you are going to feed it, where its going to live (rehoming or keeping)?

I wish you the best with this hatchling though. What morph is it?
At 82* it will most likely be a female.
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:40 am

i agree that you should have already had a cage set up, and the temps already stabalized...i know you may be inexperienced, and we have all made mistakes, so nobody is bashing you, but next time hopefully you will be prepared. that is pretty early to be incubated at 82??? maybe your temp measuring device was off...if it was infact 82, ide say more than likely a female. but if it hatched at 38 days, im guessing your inc temps were higher than 82, so it could be a male...anyways, you need to get him on heat asap, but not too hot! put the container one third on the heat inside the adults cage(AND MONITOR TEMPS CLOSELY), as kathryn suggested but put something over that, so the adult does not see the baby and try to eat it...this could severly stress the baby, and even cause it to drop its tail. if you feed meal worms, hatchlings can take a full sized meal worm with no problems(and even bigger crickets than you would think), but get it set up in its own setup for a good six or seven days to adjust...you can try as soon as you see that the baby has shed though, it probably wont eat untill then...set it up so the warm side is between 90 and 94, and the cool side is okay at anything between 70 and 80. good luck, and make sure to give the baby something small and secure to hide in. good luck, and keep us posted
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by avangelgeckos Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 am

Look I understand we all talk about research but no matter how much research we do you do not usually know how to handle it without experience. Mothers with kids, Husbands and Wives. Geckos and breeding. I did a lot of research my first time around and I could not get an egg to hatch no matter what I tried then later down the road my other issue wasn't hatching eggs it was how fast my geckos were popping them out and the babies kept hatching. 38 days is rather quick for an egg so things happen. At least the person did not wait until the last minute to get on this forum and asked for help. We want to help, not scare them away. Next time though be a little bit prepared even at day 1.
avangelgeckos
avangelgeckos

Status Status : Here
LGF Points LGF Points : 129

https://www.facebook.com/avangel.lg

Back to top Go down

Post by melsee Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:31 pm

my new addition , Nala , means Gift, and thanks for all the help, this has been a whole new experience for me, and I am learning from it, ready for the next clutch, happily cooking away in the incubator Very Happy
https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/15/63/39/imag0412.jpghttps://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/15/63/39/imag0413.jpg
melsee
melsee

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 am

For me, if I don't have a complete setup beginning at day 30 of incubation, I'd be wayyy behind.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by rickmoss95 Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:10 am

personally, i take and educated guess what i am going to produce, and have TWICE that number of cages set up and ready, before an egg hits the ground... like chaz said, nobody knows anything when they start...and the best way to learn is by experience. you will learn things from experience that you will NOT read in books, some of it is not even in books...

all you can do is be prepared, and also be ready for the unexpected...and confident. then, you go at it, and learn as you go. you WILL make mistakes, and please understand, in life, and also in breeding, you will probably fail before you succeed! ...but, failing will always teach you something. i fought professional mixed martial arts for nine years, and i can promise you, i learned more from the few fights i lost, than all of the fights i won...actually i probably learned more in ONE loss, than all the wins combined. so just be persistant, and dont give up...and one of the most important things you can do, is BE PASSIONATE ABOUT IT, AND MAKE IT FUN! if you take those few helpful hints and apply them, you can do nothing BUT SUCCEED! i promise you that!
rickmoss95
rickmoss95
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 1245

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:06 pm

melsee wrote:my new addition , Nala , means Gift, and thanks for all the help, this has been a whole new experience for me, and I am learning from it, ready for the next clutch, happily cooking away in the incubator Very Happy
https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/15/63/39/imag0412.jpghttps://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/15/63/39/imag0413.jpg

Congrats on your new hatchlings, I'm glad you were able to get it all straightened out. Space is one of the biggest issues all breeders have, you'll learn that you run out of space faster than you think. I'd say next up would be the time and money commitment. Everybody makes mistakes when they first get into breeding, I know I did. You just have to live and learn, and try to minimize damages by reading tons of resources online ahead of the time.

Forums like these are great because the information is fluid. People talk about new problems, new inventions, new ideas, new ways to deal with issues, etc.. on the forums. So forums are a great place to learn new things or find solutions to issues.

Good luck on your next set of eggs Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by melsee Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:40 pm

I have got the hatchling in a small plastic tub, inside my 2ft wooden viv ( empty ) sat on a heat mat. I used my probe, which came back at only 79* on the hot side, so I went to the reptil shop, asked what to do, he said, use a red light during the day. This I did, and whilst there purchased another thermometer with a probe ( for one of my other vivs) . I have just put the new , and old thermometer in the tub together, just to see what will happen. After putting in the red light, my old thermometer is recording 89* on the hot side, but my new one ( which is 1cm away ) is recording 85* ???
Which one do I go by?
melsee
melsee

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodieh Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 am

rickmoss95 wrote:personally, i take and educated guess what i am going to produce, and have TWICE that number of cages set up and ready, before an egg hits the ground... like chaz said, nobody knows anything when they start...and the best way to learn is by experience. you will learn things from experience that you will NOT read in books, some of it is not even in books...

I completely disagree, proper research will have you going into breeding more than adequately prepared.
Kodieh
Kodieh
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : College is hard. :(
LGF Points LGF Points : 1943

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659492989

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down