Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

not eating, now dark spots on stomach. HELP!

+3
Body Thief
Mystic
ashleyevan
7 posters

Go down

not eating, now dark spots on stomach. HELP! Empty not eating, now dark spots on stomach. HELP!

Post by ashleyevan Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Right after posting in the feeding section about my girl not eating for a month and pooping once after eating shed i took her out and tried hand feeding her a mealworm which didnt work. I noticed weird dark spots on her stomach and i've read that it might be where her liver is. I cant figure out whats wrong but i think it explains why she's not eating.

not eating, now dark spots on stomach. HELP! IMAG0430

ashleyevan

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 148

Back to top Go down

not eating, now dark spots on stomach. HELP! Empty Re: not eating, now dark spots on stomach. HELP!

Post by Mystic Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:33 pm

thats odd, i am not sure her liver would be that small, it might be something else... can you fill out the questionnaire.
http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t134-please-read-and-fill-out-with-your-health-questions

that will really help us to be able to give you better advice.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Status Status : Taming my leo
LGF Points LGF Points : 1105

http://mysticgaia.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

not eating, now dark spots on stomach. HELP! Empty Re: not eating, now dark spots on stomach. HELP!

Post by Mystic Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 pm

after reading your other post i have a couple questions.
i am guessing when you said you have a cold hide and a moist hide you just forgot to put you have a hot hide lol so to make sure do you have a hot hide?
also because she ate her shed and pooped that can be a good sign because it seems she has movement in her bowels. that black dot id odd.... filling out the form will help me know more tho.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:46 pm

I wasnt sure which form you meant, but I'm thinking the health questionaire
Care Questionaire:

About your leo:
- Sex -female
- Age & Weight -about a year and a half, and unknown
- Morph (if you know) -tremper albino
- How long have you owned your leo -a month
- Where was he/she obtained (Pet store, breeder, wild caught, etc.) -rescued from an owner
- Is your leo wild caught or captive bred -captive

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo -as little as possible, i dont want to stress her out
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how -not just today, for the past month
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. -unknown
B) Fecals
- Describe-Do they look any different than normal -i discovered a dark spot on her stomach today
- When was the last time he/she went -a few days ago after she shed, this is the first time she has gone
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem/issue you are experiencing and how long it has been going on -She hasnt eaten since i rescued her (a month) , and I have recently discovered a dark spot on her stomach

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size -20 gallon
- Type (ex. glass tank, screen enclosure, tub kept) -glass
- Type of substrate (sand, vinyl tiles, ceramic/stone tiles, etc.) -paper towels
- Hides (how many, location and type (hothide, humid hide, regular hide etc.) -cold hide, moist hide
B) Heating
- What is your main heat source (heat bulbs, under tank heat mat etc) **Please include the brand and size of your UTH if you use one** -ZooMed UTH
- What are your cage temps (hot side and cool side) -warm side 94 degrees, cold side 80 degrees
- Method of regulating your heat source (thermostat, rheostat, light dimmer etc.) -dont have one yet
- What are you using to measure your temps (probe thermometer, infrared lazer tempo gun, stick on temp gauge, etc) -probe thermometer
- Do you have any lights (describe type (red,blue, basking etc) and cycle duration) -none
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) -none
- Describe health, or previous problems of cage mates

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What are you feeding -mealworms and waxworms, tried crickets
- How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding? -I leave mealworms and waxworms in a dish at all times
- How are you feeding (hand fed, tongs/tweezers, left in dish, ect) -dish, i've tried hand feeding and tweezers. nothing has worked
B) Supplements
- What calcium suppliment are you using (please include brand) -RaptoCal pure calcium
- What multi vitimin are you using (please include brand) -RaptoCal calcium with D3
-How are you implimenting your suppliment program (how often do you dust with each suppliment, do you leave calcium in the tank 24/7 etc.) -dust all feeders and leave calcium dish at all times
- What are you gutloading your feeder insects with -gutload mealworms with carrots

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:47 pm

yes haha im sorry i meant the moist hide is the hot hide, i also forgot to mention that in the questionaire

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:28 pm

hmmm that is odd you seem to have everything in a good order. you are doing good so far so i would keep doing what you are doing but i would also give her a hot hide and then sit the moist hide half on and half off the uth. she could be ovulating and not eating because of that. i hope some one else can give you better advice, if she doesn't start eating soon i would take her into a exotic vet and make sure they are qualified to look at leopard geckos. if she keeps on her hunger strike there is a sticky that has a recipe for slurry that you could put in a syringe and slowly drop some slurry onto the tip of her nose and they usually lick it off. here is the link.
http://www.leopardgeckoforum.com/t815-slurry-recipe-for-the-long-term-fasting-gecko
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:10 am

Okay then, thank you! The moist hide is half on and half off, but I'll add a hot hide!

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:12 am

My little guy has that same little black spot and he hasn't eaten in over 2 weeks, I just started feeding him slurry though. He also has the big black patch that is his liver :/
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 am

Do you have any idea what it is? I need to make the slurry!

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by Body Thief Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:55 am

I'm just assuming its an organ becoming visible from weight loss and thinning of skin. I could be wrong though. Yeah try slurry, my guy eats it out of the syringe pretty good. He starts off avoiding it then he decides he likes it. Good luck!
Body Thief
Body Thief
Loyal Member

Status Status : I <3 Claudia!!
LGF Points LGF Points : 842

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:58 pm

I need to go get all of the ingredients for slurry. Do you know if theres anything I can try in the mean time?

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:15 pm

So tonight I managed to feed her two mealworms by tweezers! The dark spots on her stomach seemed to get worse though so i put her in some warm water and rubbed her tummy which seemed to help. She was really stubborn about eating the worms, and i think she was really annoyed but i got her to eat! I'll try feeding her by tweezers every night and hopefully things will get better. But im still really worried about her tummy, I've seen pictures of signs of impaction and it looks like if it gets worse it could turn into that Sad Im planning on making slurry soon i just need to get ingredients!

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:51 pm

well you could try giving her a drop of mineral oil on her nose that will help things move along in her system. you should only need a drop of it on the tip of her nose.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:36 am

Where could I get mineral oil?

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystic Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:19 am

if you dont have mineral oil try some extra virgin olive oil. i was told you could use that as well.
Mystic
Mystic
Loyal Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kathstew Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:49 am

You can find mineral oil at the pharmacy I believe. Smile
kathstew
kathstew
Review Staff

Status Status : First eggs have been laid!
LGF Points LGF Points : 3101

Back to top Go down

Post by Kermit Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:35 am

You can get mineral oil at any drug store in the laxative isle for about 2$
Kermit
Kermit
Forum Staff

Forum Staff

Status Status : Local Housing Authority :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 3307

http://www.RollOverRover.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 am

dont panic the black spot is there gall bladder, i noticed it on 1 of mine and took her to the vet who told me this and its only visable due to there livers being too pale from excess fat (fatty liver) mine is being treated with denamarin chewable dog tablets, you crush one a fortnight and everyother day mix a pinch of it with some hills a/d perscription diet and syringe feed to them.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by ashleyevan Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:13 pm

I've tried the mineral oil, it didn't really seem to help Sad

ashleyevan

Back to top Go down

Post by samsleopardgeckos Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Mineral oil isn't going to help, you need to read my post above yours #18. If you dont treat the gecko soon for fatty liver disease it could lead to internal bleeding which will kill your gecko and i know this from experience of it happening early this year to 1of my geckos. Im currently treating a female of mine for fatty liver.
samsleopardgeckos
samsleopardgeckos
Forum Staff

Status Status : Trying to tame the Iggy-Pop :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post by herp625 Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:57 pm

"How often are you feeding your gecko and how much per feeding? -I leave mealworms and waxworms in a dish at all times"

Please stop feeding waxworms, they are too fatty. There are other healthier insects you can feed. Did she get seen by a vet?

herp625
Loyal Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 458

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down