Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Correct supplementation

3 posters

Go down

Correct supplementation Empty Correct supplementation

Post by joneill Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm

So, I was discussing supplementation with a pet store assistant and we ended up in a disagreement. Please could I have the final word on the correct supplementation of leopard geckos. Would this schedule be correct? Babies and juveniles - feed every day, dust all feeders with calcium + D3, dust feeders with multivitamin once a week; Sub-adults - feed every second day, dust all feeders with calcium + D3, dust feeders with multivitamin once a week; Adults - feed every second or third day, dust feeders with calcium + D3 every other feeding, dust feeders once a week with multivitamin. Basically what I want to ascertain is whether you should halve the calcium powder dusting once they have reached adulthood since they have stopped growing (well their bones have anyway) and there is a risk of hypervitaminosis. Also, the worms we feed them (superworms and silkworms) have a high content of calcium and then we are dusting them with calcium as well - is this not overkill?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Correct supplementation Empty Re: Correct supplementation

Post by Mardy Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Calcium + D3 should actually be given less, once or twice a week tops. D3 toxicity is debated but generally you want to lower their D3 intake no matter how young or old the gecko is.

As for multivitamin it depends on what kind you are using. If you are using the type with protein and D3, then again it should be limited to just once or twice a week tops. In fact if you are using an all in one multivitamin supplement with D3 & protein, like Repashy Calcium Plus, you really should only use it once or twice a week. You won't need to supplement with additional calcium + D3 as the all in one supplement will take care of it.

If you are using multivitamin without D3, it can be given more often for a growing gecko, gravid females, or geckos that are rehabilitating. I do it every other day for geckos that are still growing or gravid females during breeding season.

Adults really don't need a lot of supplement since they stopped growing. Dusting once or twice a week should be fine unless you have a gravid female. Most feeders actually have very poor calcium to phosphorous ratio, so supplement & feeder variety is still required.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joneill Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 pm

I understand about vit D3 toxicity but calcium cannot be absorbed without vit D3 and leos don't have any UVB lighting, so surely we have to dust feeders with calcium + D3?
joneill
joneill
Loyal Member

Status Status : Loving my panther cham - he is the cutest & smallest lizard I have ever seen!
LGF Points LGF Points : 1256

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:56 am

You do have to supplement D3 that's why you should only do it once or twice a week tops. If you use a multivitamin supplement that contains D3, then that's the D3 supplement you need. You don't need to combine multivitamin that contains D3 with additional calcium + D3.
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Paradon Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 am

I use the Repashy Calcium Plus with every feeding as instructed.

Paradon

Status Status : No status yet...
LGF Points LGF Points : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down