Leopard Gecko Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Supplementation

2 posters

Go down

Supplementation Empty Supplementation

Post by Dakota314 Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:15 am

Hiya! I'm a newbie to leopard gecko keeping, and am confused on the supplementation. I've been searching this forum for the past few days but can't get a solid answer. I'm used to keeping snakes, so I'm not used to supplementing food.

Next weekend I plan on getting a baby leopard gecko. I've seen a lot of different supplementation scheduals for adults, but have no clue how to change them to fit a baby's needs.

From what I gather, there are a LOT of different ways the people of this forum dust their insects. I read you can dust with Repashy calcium daily, but since that contains vitamin D couldn't that be a little overkill? Especially if you leave a cap of pure calcium in the tank? Some other people dust with pure calcium daily, and use a multivitamin once or twice a week. If I were to do this, would I need an additional cap of calcium in the tank?

Sorry for the long post. I just want to make sure my gecko will be happy and healthy Smile
Dakota314
Dakota314

Status Status : Getting ready for my new leopard gecko :)
LGF Points LGF Points : 57

Back to top Go down

Supplementation Empty Re: Supplementation

Post by Mardy Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:11 am

There are many ways to supplement, people likely will have different opinions on how to do it properly. But my recommendation is to use an all-in-one supplement like repashy calcium plus (it contains calcium, d3, protein, and other multivitamins), dust 2-3x a week with it. I like to keep a bottle cap full of pure calcium w/o D3 in the tank at all time. Some skip this part but I've had success with it, and I see my gecko ingest it when they want to. I know I'm controlling the amount of D3 they are intaking so having pure calcium in the tank won't hurt.

If you are getting a young leopard gecko, and feed every day, then I would dust with multivitamin every other feeding. That's still 4x a week which is plenty for a growing leopard gecko.

Be sure to properly gut-load your feeder insects, and shoot for feeding a variety feeder types. This is just as important as dusting, and it's a big part of providing good nutrition.

Majority of the geckos with health issues are related to genetics (like enigmas, inbreeding too many generations, and improper pairing of parents), health of the mother that laid the eggs, owners that completely utterly do not care about their geckos and never supplement, or owners that completely spoil and overfeed their geckos with fatty feeders that cause fatty liver disease or other obesity issues. You are here asking questions so that scratches you off the "owners do not care about their geckos" list already. thumbs up 2
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakota314 Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks! I'll order some repashy online. I plan on feeding mainly crickets and mealworms, with the ocasional waxworm maybe a few times a month. I already gut load crickets for my salamander, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Also, should I dust all his insects with the repashy, or just a few?
Dakota314
Dakota314

Back to top Go down

Post by Mardy Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Yes it's a good idea to dust them all with the supplement Smile
Mardy
Mardy
Valuable Member
Valuable Member

LGF Points LGF Points : 2105

http://www.onlinegeckos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dakota314 Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks Mardy!
Dakota314
Dakota314

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down